Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ballinaman

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on February 23, 2012, 10:54:17 AM
No, sure I steer clear of Ballina as much as I can  ;D

I'm based in Cork
Sure i steer clear of that track too but I think you mean the town in general.... ;D

If it's a tartan track you'll be fine. One of the sections I did my thesis on runners was, injuries compared to surface. Worst to best was.....concrete,soft sand, road, asphalt track, woodland, tartan, hard sand, grass....

Mayo4Sam

Interesting that soft sand is worse than road
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

EagleLord

Soft sand not good for you? But you hear of loads of teams, in Down anyway running on the beaches etc.  :-\

ballinaman

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on February 23, 2012, 11:59:48 AM
Interesting that soft sand is worse than road
More likely to develop calf strain and achilles problems from it, a lot of pressure on the fibres. Highest number of those type injuries came back from those who trained on it, would like to have another look at it again if i get the chance with a bigger subject number, had about 300 take part from athletic clubs in dublin.

haranguerer

Surely a hell of a lot more ankle injuries on grass as opposed to any of the other surfaces??

A lot of things are starting to fit together here...

ballinaman

Quote from: haranguerer on February 23, 2012, 01:32:48 PM
Surely a hell of a lot more ankle injuries on grass as opposed to any of the other surfaces??
No

ballinaman

Quote from: Bingo on February 21, 2012, 02:32:52 PM
http://www.samsungnightrun.com./#headerhome

New city centre run round the streets of Dublin - 10km on the 29th April. Think i'll pencil it in, should be a decent flat route.
Would get stakes on to anyone interested in doing this. 5,000 limit and its filling quickly according to a lad i know in the AAI.

Bingo

Quote from: ballinaman on February 28, 2012, 03:19:07 PM
Quote from: Bingo on February 21, 2012, 02:32:52 PM
http://www.samsungnightrun.com./#headerhome

New city centre run round the streets of Dublin - 10km on the 29th April. Think i'll pencil it in, should be a decent flat route.
Would get stakes on to anyone interested in doing this. 5,000 limit and its filling quickly according to a lad i know in the AAI.

Cheers, was waiting on a few others to confirm if they doing it, so will get them sorted and sign up.

tyroneman

Have been doing a fair bit of running over past 6 months to point where I can do a 10k handy enough.

Problem is I have become very 1 paced. I am taking part in a 100m race in August - what training do I need to be at?

Is it weight for quads, calf and hamstrings in the gym or simply doing a lot of a lot of 100-200m runs?

Grateful for any help....

imtommygunn

Are all your runs at one pace? Start picking up between points in runs, do tempos, do shorter reps etc.

If you're interested in 100 / 200 speed then best start would be to start doing reps of shorter sprints. (< 100 metres). You can build in pliometrics but best start is probably to maximise what you've got and ensure if you want to increase your speed you target your speed when you train...

If it's longer distance speed then runs called tempos, fartleks in longer runs and hill reps / 400 reps are ideal.

amallon

If this of interest to anyone feel free to join our Facebook group
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/335381713170746/

I haven't done any running before but went for a quick run tonight, did 2k in 13mins and was fairly wrecked.  Any advice on what I need to do to finish this 10k would be appreciated.  Its a fairly tough hilly 10k as well.  Can anyone recomend a good android app which might help me pace myself and keep track of runs.  Cheers
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

Bingo

Harlequin Duathlon this Saturday morning in Castlebar - 36km altogether with 22km of it on bike. Will be tough, thoughts I'd have more done on the bike but will struggle through it anyway. Don't think I'll have to worry about a speach after it anyway.

Done a local Duathlon on Paddys day, the run was strong but bike is weak.

ballinaman

Best of luck Bingo. I've never ran a race in Castlebar, not really a running stronghold in Mayo so I can't give you a heads up on a potential course. Can't imagine too many savage hills especially if ye are going out the main Dublin road, fairly flat.

Great half marathon on May 12th in Ballina if anyone is interested. Great course and well organised, good crowd too and big crowd over from Leeds AC who take part every year.

http://www.rivermoymarathon.ie/

Bingo

Quote from: ballinaman on March 22, 2012, 06:56:45 PM
Best of luck Bingo. I've never ran a race in Castlebar, not really a running stronghold in Mayo so I can't give you a heads up on a potential course. Can't imagine too many savage hills especially if ye are going out the main Dublin road, fairly flat.

Great half marathon on May 12th in Ballina if anyone is interested. Great course and well organised, good crowd too and big crowd over from Leeds AC who take part every year.

Cheers, as far as i know its a hilly enough race. Hills on first cycle out to a bigger hill to run up and down - known locally as the Boaster?

I'll give it a go anyway.

ballinaman

Quote from: Bingo on March 23, 2012, 10:36:09 AM
Quote from: ballinaman on March 22, 2012, 06:56:45 PM

Cheers, as far as i know its a hilly enough race. Hills on first cycle out to a bigger hill to run up and down - known locally as the Boaster?

I'll give it a go anyway.
Aye, the booster. trained there once. The first 1/2 km of it is an incline, flating out then a bit and downhill until about 2km, then the incline begins and is steady for the next 2km or so. Then its turn and back down the 4km, all tarmac.