Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ildanach

2:04 would have liked to have made the 2 hour mark but not a bad 1st attempt at 1/2 marathon.
Statistics are like a bikini. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.

Denn Forever

Rois, calling Rois.

I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Rois

2hrs 04 as well, flip what a feeling when it was over.

I came from a standing start in June, refused to run a leg of the Belfast marathon relay because I'd told myself my chronic over pronation ruled me out. New pair of trainers and double socks from M&S worked wonders.

Well done Ballinaman and ildanach.

Oh, and tickets for the AIF arrived and they turned out to be Premiums. What a wkend!

brokencrossbar1

Marathon man disqualified for taking bus

A man who finished third in a marathon was disqualified for taking a bus to the finishing line.

Rob Sloan produced an impressive time of 2:51:00 to finish third in the Kielder Marathon but things were not quite as they seemed.

After being spotted by a number witnesses, Sloan finally admitted that he started to feel tired after 20 miles of the 26.2 mile race, so he decided to hop on a bus that was carrying spectators to the finish.

He then hid behind a tree and waited for the first two runners to come through, before rejoining the race in time to pick up the bronze medal for third.

The Sunderland Harriers runner could now be kicked out of his club and banned from further marathons.

He had at first protested his innocence when the allegations were first brought up that he was "upset and angry that someone wants to cast these aspersions. It's laughable, is what it is."

Race organisers said in a statement: "The athlete who was disqualified on Sunday after initially placing third has admitted that he failed to complete the whole course of 26.2 miles.

"Rob Sloan of Sunderland Harriers had apparently made the decision to withdraw from the race at approximately 20 miles due to fatigue and after returning to the Leaplish Park area he decided to run the closing section of the course and crossed the finish line in third place.

"This was rightly questioned by several witnesses including the rightful third place finisher, Steven Cairns of Peebles, Scotland, who has been awarded the prize."

Ann Lillie, club treasurer and vice-president of Sunderland Harriers admitted the club would consider dismissing Sloan.

"It's a bit of a shock. We have a good reputation and obviously this has brought the club into disrepute," she is quoted as saying in the Daily Telegraph.

"It's not the kind of advertising we need. We'll be discussing Rob's future when the executive committee meets next week."

DrinkingHarp

During the Chicago a man died during the race and a pregnant women went into labor.

Firefighter dies during race.............http://www.wral.com/news/state/story/10238949/

Woman gives birth after marathon.............http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/10/10/ap/strange/main20118157.shtml
Gaaboard Predict The World Cup Champion 2014

imtommygunn

That guy sounds like an idiot - I dunno why he ran a 10k race the day before a marathon. Not too sensible.

Quite a few have died in the great north run and a guy died in London the other year by drowning himself from drinking too much water.

Puckoon

ballinaman

Anyone doing the Dublin marathon lads? Countdown is on now....

Bingo

Best of luck to everyone doing the Marathon on Monday.

For any other runners out their we are organising a 5KM in Castleblayney on 4th December, a flat road race. More details on the link below.

http://www.castleblayneyfaughs.com/5k_road_race.html

I'll even arrange a trophy for the first gaaboarder cross the line  :)

ballinaman

Quote from: Bingo on October 28, 2011, 11:18:16 AM
Best of luck to everyone doing the Marathon on Monday.

For any other runners out their we are organising a 5KM in Castleblayney on 4th December, a flat road race. More details on the link below.

http://www.castleblayneyfaughs.com/5k_road_race.html

I'll even arrange a trophy for the first gaaboarder cross the line  :)
May have to tip up for that!

Best of luck to everyone too, Rois and idanach if they are going.
Nervously looking forward to monday now...

Farrandeelin

I'm sure it'll be ballinaman's trophy.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

imtommygunn

Anyone know the link to the online results tracker??

Milltown Row2

Aye I know a husband and wife team that went down for it. Be my age and two fitness freaks. No kids though so plenty of time to recover FFS

They did Toronto the other month, relentless.  I have been at the gym for a while and do 2 miles 4 days a week, managing to do it around 13.30 minutes. Don't think I could ever do a marathon in fairness, I'm the type of trainer who likes to get it done quickly and outta the way
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

How did anyone get on in dublin? Ballinaman you break the 3??

MR some people get addicted to the marathon lark.

ballinaman

3.22 in the end. Bang on target for  sub 3 till 17 miles and then got cramps/pain like I've never felt before in all my years of running races. Was in bits!Defo underestimated it, savage experience, some challenge. The experience of the 1st one under the belt and tweak the training,I'm going to give it a serious crack in Belfast next May. Chippers and pints for the next two weeks and then back at it again! :D