GAA Response to Coronavirus

Started by screenexile, March 12, 2020, 12:10:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

Smurfy why does it need to be until a vaccine is found?

Why would the GAA put players more at risk than society would? Why can't it be until it is putting them at no more of a risk than they are at in every day society? i.e. when social distancing stops the GAA can play?

I can't predict the future and I don't think any of us can but if a vaccine is not forthcoming within a period of time then to a degree society will have to return to normal and people will have to take a risk on but it's too raw at the minute. That is every day so the GAA will just be another part of this. That is the point in time when risk will need looked at / taken.

If a vaccine isn't here in 5 years does anyone really think that we will have done social distancing for 5 years? Currently there isn't a lot of understanding of this virus. There are stats x, y and z and then conflicting stats for that. If they understand it better then they can manage that risk but at present there is nothing in society to suggest that barring stopping taking the most extreme precautions of lockdown they can control this virus at all.

Smurfy123

But tommy you either take the risk or not?
Can't turn around in a year and say right no vaccine let's all get back to playing after saying about no play until social distancing ends. Social distancing will be here until a vaccine is found end of story.
The risk is there and will be so let's except it and get on with things
A lot of over dramatic people about.
The care homes are now 80/20 the stats in the north now.

imtommygunn

QuoteSocial distancing will be here until a vaccine is found end of story.

QuoteA lot of over dramatic people about.

How do you know social distancing will be here until a vaccine is found??

We have been very fortunate here with how we've been hit. We need to be very cautious about a wave 2. The NHS has been run into the ground but the NHS here has got way less attention.

There is a big fear around a wave 2. A big fear.

I am not sure I understand why you think an individual should take no risk in every aspect of their life with regard to social distancing but change that to go onto a football field and then change back. I don't understand?

Yes take risk by all means but take the same risks as you do in the rest of your life and take consistent risk as well.

armaghniac

Prof. McConkey was on the radio there, who noted that we would have to deal with this virus for 2-5 years. Now he was talking about travel quarantines, but the implications for sport of this time period are also rather ominous. Of course Trump believe that the virus will go away without a vaccine, so perhaps he is right and the Prof. is taking bollix.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

larryin89

Quote from: armaghniac on May 11, 2020, 06:16:37 PM
Prof. McConkey was on the radio there, who noted that we would have to deal with this virus for 2-5 years. Now he was talking about travel quarantines, but the implications for sport of this time period are also rather ominous. Of course Trump believe that the virus will go away without a vaccine, so perhaps he is right and the Prof. is taking bollix.

https://m.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/nobel-scientist-predicts-virus-will-burn-out-in-next-two-weeks-39194015.html

And this is why it's so confusing for us mere mortals , so many different takes .
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Itchy

Quote from: larryin89 on May 11, 2020, 06:46:23 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on May 11, 2020, 06:16:37 PM

https://m.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/nobel-scientist-predicts-virus-will-burn-out-in-next-two-weeks-39194015.html

And this is why it's so confusing for us mere mortals , so many different takes .

Has he published anything to back up his predictions, it would be very interesting to read. Right now I dont understand his conclusions

6th sam

This pandemic was declared only a matter of weeks ago and therefore information on the virus, and preventing its spread etc , remains limited. The statistics which are available, all have to be put into context. So Predictions regarding vaccines and  relaxation etc have to be treated with caution-its far too early to say. What is entirely predictable is that there are significant diseases of isolation/inactivity/poverty and those that demand a continuation of lockdown and social distancing without taking these very real threats into account, are playing as dangerous a game as those that want immediate and widespread relaxation.

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: Smurfy123 on May 11, 2020, 03:20:14 PM
Can't turn around in a year and say right no vaccine let's all get back to playing after saying about no play until social distancing ends. Social distancing will be here until a vaccine is found end of story.

'course you can.

If someone discovers an easily administered treatment therapy that reduces case mortality to <0.001% then you'll see changes very quickly.

Stop trying to deal in absolutes, its just stupid.
i usse an speelchekor

larryin89

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on May 11, 2020, 09:11:00 PM

'course you can.

If someone discovers an easily administered treatment therapy that reduces case mortality to <0.001% then you'll see changes very quickly.

You're never far off the ball fair play radio . Cillian de gascun was just on tonight show and he hinted at something along the lines of what you're saying when it was put to him what John Horan said last night .   Weighing up what we are hearing last 48 hrs in relation to the return of GAA I'd be a lot more confident we will have a championship next year with crowds too.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Lar Naparka

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on May 11, 2020, 09:11:00 PM

'course you can.

That's one helluva big if.
Medical opinion is pretty unanimous that a working vaccine won't be available until the end of the year. I take anything else I hear as fake news. E
When when a vaccine is discovered, all hell will break loose as the vaccine will not be made available to all - the rich and powerful nations will head the queue and the rest of us can go suck the hind tit.
I agree with Larry that until  a vaccine is found, and freely availabe, safe distancing will be with us.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

RadioGAAGAA

Yeah, I agree that a vaccine is the most obvious route out of this mess.

But its definitely not the only route. As this drags on, more studies will come back with positive benefits of various drug/assistance treatments.

i usse an speelchekor

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

RadioGAAGAA

Easy fix.

League games can go ahead - but there is no promotion or relegation from any league this year. Less/no pressure on folks to play.

View it as simply playing the sport for enjoyment's sake. Y'know - the reason we play sport in the first place...

Championships? Probably best left off the agenda.

edit: I read this a few hours after posting, and realise it looks weird. I'm saying it in the context of ~ half the players not wanting to play and games being declared "safe" to play by health authorities. Making it more like organised challenge matches is a way to prevent anyone feeling under pressure to play.
i usse an speelchekor

Smurfy123

John Horan now saying the GAA are looking at opening up club facilities before July 20 with no ball games etc. Just so people can walk about and that. What is this man talking about?
On one hand he writes the season off now he is saying he is going to open up
And games will begin now on medical advice

armaghniac

Quote from: Smurfy123 on May 12, 2020, 04:18:04 PM
John Horan now saying the GAA are looking at opening up club facilities before July 20 with no ball games etc. Just so people can walk about and that. What is this man talking about?
On one hand he writes the season off now he is saying he is going to open up
And games will begin now on medical advice

Because people walking 5m apart does not pose the same problems as a game?
I think they should open the handball alleys.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B