U20 All Ireland football championship 2021

Started by Blowitupref, February 03, 2020, 04:03:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hound

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on December 19, 2020, 03:51:21 PM
Looked very tired the last 10 minutes there. I think the injuries might have caught up to them. Dublin took over in midfield after Hernon went off at the throw in of the 2nd half. Very happy for that bunch though. Some of them lost the minor final on the last kick of the game last year. Think they were the better side overall but the injuries almost caught them out. Galway will get a good few from that bunch hopefully.

Hard luck to Dublin. Fair play to the ref. I think a lot of refs would have taken the handy draw option there.
I have to admit that Galway were the better team, and just a bit of white line fever let the Dubs back in. We did show plenty of heart to fight back which was great. You never know what would have happened had it gone to extra time, and Dubs would have had the momentum, but I think Galway would have re-grouped.

The ref was definitely right for the last second 'free'. The corner back had obviously no interest in scoring but should have waited until he was fouled before hitting the ground! Because it's almost certain he would have been fouled had he not dived. He made a mistake, he'll hopefully learn from it.

Well done Galway.

GalwayBayBoy

10 of Galway's starting team still U-20 next year including James McLaughlin who would have started only for injury. 4 of them actually still U-20 eligible the following year as well.

A good bunch there if we can keep them together for a while.

marty34

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on December 19, 2020, 11:54:33 PM
10 of Galway's starting team still U-20 next year including James McLaughlin who would have started only for injury. 4 of them actually still U-20 eligible the following year as well.

A good bunch there if we can keep them together for a while.

That'a defo. something to build on.

The only problem is getting them through to the senior squad.

Be interesteting to see how many of them 'drift away'.

An Fhairche Abu

Tonic win for Galway after the shellacking the minors took on Friday evening. Always nice to win any title but ultimately you are looking to see what we can get out of that team for Senior level.

If you got 2/3 from that team to be good (as in competing for All Irelands good, not good as in what we got from the 2011/2013 wins) Senior players you'd be doing really well, from the U21 team that lost to Dublin in 2017 I'd only put Sean Kelly in the top IC player category, lads like McDaid who was a superstar at that level have not successfully made the transition to Senior, ditto Michael Daly. In fairness to Cooke - who you couldn't fault the last time he was in a Galway jersey - he is gone from the scene for the moment. Conneely, Molloy and Finnerty haven't played enough to make any judgement. Sean Andy not good enough.

Paul Kelly looks a top player and if he comes on like his brother at the next level he is exactly the type of player Galway need at Senior level, serious athlete. Don't know how his basketball career might impact his availability yet.
Culhane is only out of minor, certainly has the talent and ability, nice bit of cut about him as well demanding the ball and willing to front up.
Would love to see the corner backs come through, we are absolutely crying out for lads that can mark the opposition forward while left on an island at least some of the time.
Tierney and Sweeney will be interesting to see if they can kick on, Tierney needs to fill out a bit but skill and height wise he is set. Sweeney has a reputation with some as the most likely to make it but again we'll have to see how he goes at the top level, Mayo have lads the same age that are doing it at Senior level already and unless Galway get some freakish good luck a la the 94 minor team, a lot of those U20's won't make the cut so as I said we'll just have to see how it pans out.

Indeed Mayo who lost out on penos to that Galway team earlier in the competition might end up getting a more telling return from this year when all is said and done, Mullen is the pick of the U20's in the country this year, he is a fine Senior IC player already,

Maroon Manc

I thought Paul Kelly showed great maturity during the 2nd half, knew went to slow the game down and show a bit of composure when others around him were giving it away needlessly. Culhane wasn't shy in the pre match huddle, appeared to be doing all the talking.

Jack Glynn had a serious game on Archer, he destroyed Mulkerrin last year so thought they'd really struggle to contain him. I like the look of McGrath in the other corner, another of last years minors so has another couple of years at this level.

Look at the 4 new players in Mullin, McLoughlin, O'Donoghue & Conroy; They all have plenty of pace which is something Galway desperately need to add to the senior team, its not everything but I wouldn't say too many of that Galway team who started yesterday had blistering pace apart from Sweeney. I hope his injury isn't too serious as you'd expect to see him get some game time in the league.  I think I've mentioned it a few times but Tierney has a lot of filling out to do yet so wouldn't bank on him making a big impact next year.

GalwayBayBoy

I think we have a chance of getting a good few from this bunch but it might take a few years. They are young for even an U-20 side. Plenty prospects from midfield back. Keeper is good but is also a serious hurler so that's up in the air. Full back line were all impressive. Especially the two corner backs (McGrath and Glynn). Fitzgerald certainly has the physical presence at 3. Sweeney is highly rated and is the type of dynamic player needed. Started the game well driving forward until his unfortunate injury. Shame for him as he missed the semi-final against Kerry due to Covid. All three midfielders (McLaughlin, Hernon and Raftery) have a chance of making it. Raftery is a real workhorse type but the other two might have higher ceilings. Paul Kelly has already played for the seniors and did well albeit a very small sample size. The type of athlete you need nowadays. Culhane is the real deal I think. Has 2 more years left at U-20 but is a very confident type who wants every ball kicked into him. Tierney has the skills and the height but will be eaten up at senior until he puts some muscle on his frame. He doesn't have the explosive burst to run away from markers so he'll need to be physically stronger to bounce them off.

Tierney, Glynn, Fitzgerald are all done with U-20 now I believe. Vast majority of the rest are still eligible at the grade next year. Culhane, Hernon, McGrath and McLaughlin all still have 2 years left at U-20.

Manning18

I get that Tierney has filling out to do but even so he looked by far and away the best U20 in Connacht last year, when he still had a year left at the grade. And that group included Tommy Conroy, Ryan O'Donoghue etc. Granted they've gone on to show it at senior level and I actually thought Tierney had a quiet year this year despite his obvious scoring returns. Still, I think Joyce adores him. You could see that by the way he threw him in against Kerry in the league despite him having very little time with the group at that point. I'd be surprised if he's not getting game time in championship next season. You'd imagine Sweeney will get a run in the league. McLaughlin will be the most interesting one. How early does he get exposure to the senior group. Perhaps 2022

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Manning18 on December 22, 2020, 03:07:47 PM
I get that Tierney has filling out to do but even so he looked by far and away the best U20 in Connacht last year, when he still had a year left at the grade. And that group included Tommy Conroy, Ryan O'Donoghue etc. Granted they've gone on to show it at senior level and I actually thought Tierney had a quiet year this year despite his obvious scoring returns. Still, I think Joyce adores him. You could see that by the way he threw him in against Kerry in the league despite him having very little time with the group at that point. I'd be surprised if he's not getting game time in championship next season. You'd imagine Sweeney will get a run in the league. McLaughlin will be the most interesting one. How early does he get exposure to the senior group. Perhaps 2022

McLaughlin was in with the seniors already in the build up to the restart of the league. I guess he already has the size and strength compared to some of the others. Bit mad to think he has another 2 years to go at U-20.

The Hill is Blue

After the impressive win by the Galway lads on Saturday do any of the Galway contributors here believe that Galway can win a senior All-Ireland in the next few years?
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

lenny

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on December 22, 2020, 07:54:05 PM

McLaughlin was in with the seniors already in the build up to the restart of the league. I guess he already has the size and strength compared to some of the others. Bit mad to think he has another 2 years to go at U-20.

Is there not just one more year of U20, then it switches to U19?

Blowitupref

Quote from: lenny on December 22, 2020, 08:00:39 PM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on December 22, 2020, 07:54:05 PM

Is there not just one more year of U20, then it switches to U19?

Nothing decided yet, I think it would be better to revert back to U21 level than U19 but HQ would have to admit they were wrong so I can't see that happening.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Manning18

Quote from: The Hill is Blue on December 22, 2020, 07:57:19 PM
After the impressive win by the Galway lads on Saturday do any of the Galway contributors here believe that Galway can win a senior All-Ireland in the next few years?

Average age of the team that lost in Connacht was very young and there's plenty of young talent there even aside from the U20s. They've made the last few minor finals. An All Ireland? Think we've about the same chance as say Mayo or Donegal. But on the law of averages, it's an unlikely proposition

An Fhairche Abu

In a word: no.
Dublin get one good Senior player off their panel and it's just another player into an already very competitive and successful squad, job done, that's all they need. Galway need a lot more than one player to come through in the next few years to even give Dublin a proper game and that's the truth of it.

If the U20 match Saturday was 70 minutes, Dublin would have won pulling up, already could see the superior S&C shining through for that age group, Galway started taking the wrong option way more down the stretch because they were flaked. Dubs still coming as if it was only the 20th minute of the match. Galway were for me the better team for the majority of the match and were left clinging on in the finish.

I don't want to get into some argument over Galway needing to sort out their own house or the ins and outs of Dublin's advantages, it is what it is. Galway would need to hit on an unbelievable amount of players from that U20 team to be winning an All Ireland, past experience would tell you it just doesn't happen that way.

At Senior we've been in one semi final and no final in 20 years, we're a mile off if you look at it without maroon tinted glasses and it'll take more than the decent prospects from that U20 team to rectify that situation.

Mayo Border

Mr hill is blue is having a bit of fun with the Galway lads. He wants reassurance that dubs will win the next 8 or nine.

The Hill is Blue

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on December 22, 2020, 10:54:50 PM
In a word: no.
Dublin get one good Senior player off their panel and it's just another player into an already very competitive and successful squad, job done, that's all they need. Galway need a lot more than one player to come through in the next few years to even give Dublin a proper game and that's the truth of it.

If the U20 match Saturday was 70 minutes, Dublin would have won pulling up, already could see the superior S&C shining through for that age group, Galway started taking the wrong option way more down the stretch because they were flaked. Dubs still coming as if it was only the 20th minute of the match. Galway were for me the better team for the majority of the match and were left clinging on in the finish.

I don't want to get into some argument over Galway needing to sort out their own house or the ins and outs of Dublin's advantages, it is what it is. Galway would need to hit on an unbelievable amount of players from that U20 team to be winning an All Ireland, past experience would tell you it just doesn't happen that way.

At Senior we've been in one semi final and no final in 20 years, we're a mile off if you look at it without maroon tinted glasses and it'll take more than the decent prospects from that U20 team to rectify that situation.

I saw the great Galway team of the early '60s play and they were majestic. What is preventing the county from achieving that standard now?
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8