Top 10 forwards of past 40 years - a Board poll - Open until 21st April 2017

Started by Owen Brannigan, April 15, 2017, 05:31:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Champion The Wonder Horse

Quote from: rrhf on April 21, 2017, 01:27:28 PM
Has Brian Dooher even been mentioned. The most effective no 10 in Ireland in the last 20 years.  Incredible workrate and scored some of the best points seen in Croke Park.  double all ireland captain to boot.
Lots of chatty light stuff going on there men but ye know fcuk all about football!

Paul Flynn was / is a more effective #10.

Again, Dooher would rate behind Canavan, Stephen O'Neill and the two McGuigans. It is unlikely that one county would have produced five of the top ten forwards in Ireland and that four of them played in the same forward line.

rrhf

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 21, 2017, 02:50:06 PM
That's also 11 players.

Matt Connor I have only watched on Video, but in my part of the world it was said he was the greatest ever with wee Pete as no 2.

redhandefender

Quote from: Champion The Wonder Horse on April 21, 2017, 02:53:32 PM
Quote from: rrhf on April 21, 2017, 01:27:28 PM
Has Brian Dooher even been mentioned. The most effective no 10 in Ireland in the last 20 years.  Incredible workrate and scored some of the best points seen in Croke Park.  double all ireland captain to boot.
Lots of chatty light stuff going on there men but ye know fcuk all about football!

Paul Flynn was / is a more effective #10.

Again, Dooher would rate behind Canavan, Stephen O'Neill and the two McGuigans. It is unlikely that one county would have produced five of the top ten forwards in Ireland and that four of them played in the same forward line.

Flynn is not better than dooher come on! I accept dooher not in the top 10 but wise up

rrhf

Just watch the videos of the 3 all ireland finals, 3semi finals and many quarter finals  Brian Dooher played in.  He was without doubt the most consistent highest performing Tyrone player from 2003 - 2008. 

Maroon Manc

Most of the Northern posters on here have at least 50% of the top 10 from their own province.

Fuzzman

Interestingly I used to ask lots of people if they could chose only one from Dooher and ONeill, most people chose Dooher.

Maroon Manc

Plenty of posters have McDonald in their top 10 but not Joyce, from memory on here the majority of the Mayo posters on here would have Joyce as the better player.

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: Maroon Manc on April 21, 2017, 03:53:03 PM
Plenty of posters have McDonald in their top 10 but not Joyce, from memory on here the majority of the Mayo posters on here would have Joyce as the better player.

Noticed that myself, county bias maybe but I wouldn't have McDonald anywhere near Joyce in terms of top forwards.
McDonald maybe seems to have become a better player in people's minds since he retired?

The Stallion

Mcdonald was a special talent, with a unique style which made him a joy to watch. He wasn't the heaviest scorer but some of his kick passes were just brilliant to see.

Tubberman

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on April 21, 2017, 04:06:34 PM

Noticed that myself, county bias maybe but I wouldn't have McDonald anywhere near Joyce in terms of top forwards.
McDonald maybe seems to have become a better player in people's minds since he retired?

Joyce a much better scorer, McDonald a much better footballer.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Throw ball

Maurice Fitzgerald
Frank McGuigan
Peter Canavan
Oisin McConville
Colm O Rourke
Colin Corkery
Michael Donnellan
Colm Cooper
Greg Blaney
Mike Sheehy

Syferus

Quote from: Tubberman on April 21, 2017, 04:14:04 PM

Donnellan > McDonald > Joyce

Syferus

Cooper Colm
Donnellan Michael
Fitzgerald Maurice
Canavan Peter
McDonald Ciaran
Cavanagh Sean
Galvin Paul
McDonnell Steven
Brogan Bernard
Doyle Johnny

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: Tubberman on April 21, 2017, 04:14:04 PM

Wouldn't agree with that at all personally but again it's all opinion.

Maroon Manc

Not staying long enough at the top is why I wouldn't pick Donnellan ahead of Joyce but 4 years he was arguably the best player in the county but with injuries etc he disappeared from the top level all too soon.