Irish Rich List

Started by supersarsfields, March 29, 2010, 12:32:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

supersarsfields

An unknown Indian-born pensioner worth €4.4 billion (£3.9bn) has topped Ireland's rich list.

Pallonji Mistry — who became an Irish citizen in 2003 through his Irish born wife — has interests in real estate, cars, heavy industry, tea and part owns the Taj Mahal Hotel.

The Sunday Independent reported the 79-year-old billionaire, who still lives in Mumbai, owns 18.4% of India's largest private conglomerate Tata.

Despite making it to the top ten, Co Fermanagh man Sean Quinn is estimated to have lost a staggering €2.5bn (£2.2bn) supporting the now nationalised Anglo Irish Bank.

Texas-based billionaire John P Grayken was second on the list with a fortune worth €3.9bn (£3.5bn) due to the success of shrewd investments including Lone Star Funds. Dubliner Hilary Weston, a former model who owns the Brown Thomas chain with her husband Galen, a Canadian retail tycoon, were placed third with an estimated €3.67bn (£3.3bn).

The Sunday Independent rich list showed that, despite the recession and Ireland's boom to bust, its top 300 richest people are worth close to €50bn (£45bn).

Nick Webb, deputy business editor, said: "Property aside, there is an unprecedented number of Irish billionaires and multi-millionaires who made their wealth in other countries.

"Significant fortunes have been amassed by smart entrepreneurs in technology, retail, high finance, aviation and renewable energy."

Elsewhere U2 topped the poll for the richest celebrities with €595m (£535m) while Paddy McNally was named the richest sports star making €230m (£206) from F1 trackside advertising and corporate hospitality.

The Sunday Independent also published details of the 2009 losers who saw their fortunes plummet when Ireland's booming economy bottomed. Developers Bernard McNamara and Liam Carroll were hit hard when the property bubble burst, owing debts of €1.5bn (£1.35bn) and €1.3bn (£1.16bn) respectively.

Top 10 richest
Ireland's top 10 wealthiest people are:

Pallonji Mistry €4.4bn (£3.9bn).
John P Grayken, €3.9bn (£3.5bn).
Hilary Weston, €3.67bn (£3.3bn).
Telecoms and media tycoon Denis O'Brien, €2.55bn (£2.29bn).
John Dorrance, one of the heirs to the Heinz empire, €1.6bn (£1.43bn).
Dermot Desmond, an Irish entrepreneur who sold London City Airport, €1.45bn (£1.3bn).
Ellis Short, the Texan born Irish-American owner of |Sunderland Football Club |who took Irish citizenship |this year, €1.2bn (£1bn).
Meath ex-pat Eamonn Cleary, the third richest man in New Zealand, €1.02bn (£917m).
The O'Reilly family, headed by Sir Anthony, has global media business and interests, €1bn (£899m).
Cement and insurance tycoon Sean Quinn, from Co Fermanagh, €845m |(£760m).

I'd say there's a right few boys have taken a big hit lately!!

T Fearon

Looks like Mr Quinn is following in the footsteps of his native Fermanagh, from pratically at the top to Fourth Division in two years

FermGael

Tony, as far as i know Sean is still in the top 10.Hardly fourth division.
His company still made a profit of 300 million euro last year
Not bad for a man who has lost over 2 Bn.

Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

the colonel

Yeah i'd be raging if I was only worth 870 Million
the difference between success and failure is energy

haranguerer

Quote from: FermGael on March 29, 2010, 01:05:28 PM
Tony, as far as i know Sean is still in the top 10.Hardly fourth division.
His company still made a profit of 300 million euro last year
Not bad for a man who has lost over 2 Bn.

Ach I think hes just making the point its quite a drop, just liek the team, which is fair.

I'd say though, he could pull a few mill out of thin air if required, if only fermanagh could do the same with league positions  :P

the colonel

As I've stated in the past, Tony loves to see people fail- just look at all the Armagh related threads
the difference between success and failure is energy

The Subbie

Quote from: supersarsfields on March 29, 2010, 12:32:52 PM
An unknown Indian-born pensioner worth €4.4 billion (£3.9bn) has topped Ireland's rich list.

Pallonji Mistry — who became an Irish citizen in 2003 through his Irish born wife — has interests in real estate, cars, heavy industry, tea and part owns the Taj Mahal Hotel.

The
Sunday Independent reported the 79-year-old billionaire, who still lives in Mumbai, owns 18.4% of India's largest private conglomerate Tata.

Despite making it to the top ten, Co Fermanagh man Sean Quinn is estimated to have lost a staggering €2.5bn (£2.2bn) supporting the now nationalised Anglo Irish Bank.

Texas-based billionaire John P Grayken was second on the list with a fortune worth €3.9bn (£3.5bn) due to the success of shrewd investments including Lone Star Funds. Dubliner Hilary Weston, a former model who owns the Brown Thomas chain with her husband Galen, a Canadian retail tycoon, were placed third with an estimated €3.67bn (£3.3bn).

The Sunday Independent rich list showed that, despite the recession and Ireland's boom to bust, its top 300 richest people are worth close to €50bn (£45bn).

Nick Webb, deputy business editor, said: "Property aside, there is an unprecedented number of Irish billionaires and multi-millionaires who made their wealth in other countries.

"Significant fortunes have been amassed by smart entrepreneurs in technology, retail, high finance, aviation and renewable energy."

Elsewhere U2 topped the poll for the richest celebrities with €595m (£535m) while Paddy McNally was named the richest sports star making €230m (£206) from F1 trackside advertising and corporate hospitality.

The Sunday Independent also published details of the 2009 losers who saw their fortunes plummet when Ireland's booming economy bottomed. Developers Bernard McNamara and Liam Carroll were hit hard when the property bubble burst, owing debts of €1.5bn (£1.35bn) and €1.3bn (£1.16bn) respectively.

Top 10 richest

Dermot Desmond, an Irish entrepreneur who sold London City Airport, €1.45bn (£1.3bn).
Ellis Short, the Texan born Irish-American owner of |Sunderland Football Club |who took Irish citizenship |this year, €1.2bn (£1bn).
Meath ex-pat Eamonn Cleary, the third richest man in New Zealand, €1.02bn (£917m).
The O'Reilly family, headed by Sir Anthony, has global media business and interests, €1bn (£899m).

I stopped reading when i came to that bit

Orior

Quote from: supersarsfields on March 29, 2010, 12:32:52 PM
[Top 10 richest

Rich? - yes
Happy? - debatable!
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

muppet

Is there anything more symbolic of what is wrong with our version of capitalism than a tabloid rich list?

Would some of them decide at €1 Billion that it was enough without some rag pointing out that they are in fact way down a list of similarly wealthy types. Is this supposed to make them feel inadequate or the rest of us?

MWWSI 2017

bingobus

Sean Quinn in the news again, administrators appointed to Quinn Insurnace following applicantion by Financial Regulator. Breaking news now.