Documentaries

Started by 5 Sams, July 14, 2013, 08:56:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: Lar Naparka on April 23, 2014, 11:40:12 AM
Quote from: Norf Tyrone on April 22, 2014, 06:13:15 PM
Anyone know anywhere to dload some of this stuff. Looking something to watch while relaxing on hols.
Here's the mother of all documentary sites:
http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/watch-online/

Thanks sir.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

J OGorman

Rough Rider
Documentary following journalist Paul Kimmage, a former cyclist who was the first to spill the beans about doping in the sport

Tonight | RTÉ One | 9.35pm

magpie seanie

Who would have thought there was doping in cycling?? Wow.

Mayo4Sam

Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

JimStynes

Great show! Kimmage is a strange one, he seems to love to be hated. His wife seems like a nice woman.

imtommygunn

Quite depressing... The whole thing seems to have consumed him.

Interesting viewing though.

From the Bunker

Ah, you can understand Kimmage and his disillusionment! The lad grew up in the sport, went on to compete with the best and seen it's corruption. He has cycling in his DNA. You could see it in his face in the documentary. He loves the damn sport. He seems to be a loner. His stance has cost him, sporting colleagues, journalist colleagues,  and even looked to have affected his relationship with close friends and family. He really took on an international pillar of the sport in Armstrong. And local heroes such as Roache and Kelly, who you can see he still has affection for. Truth and Principals come at a cost. On a final note he has one foul mouth on him for cursing (I must be getting old!).

bennydorano

You have to admire the man, but I still think he's a bit of a bollix. Thought he came across as quite mellow in this compared to some of his stuff that I've read, some of his tweets would make you wince, how he sometimes manages to squeeze so much venom into 140 characters is a feat in itself.

screenexile

Yeah he came across as a grumpy bollix who will never really be at peace with cycling. Is that his fault or cyclings? Probably a bit of both at this stage.

As his brother said he's probably lost that bit of happiness through his experiences with Cycling as a pro and subsequently through his journalism since then. I would blame cycling more for it though as his intentions seem good.

Very interesting show now. I loved the bit where the wife was giving off to him about Froome being a nice lad!

Mayo4Sam

I actually thought he came across as less grumpy in this than normally, on the radio he is such a contrary bollix

It was sad seeing him the grandstand looking down at roche, he just seemed lonely there with the other cyclists, an outcast I suppose but then this is the price hes paid

The froome bit was funny

I actually thought that was a reasonable amount of cursing.......yikes!
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Asal Mor

Just watched "Undefeated", a documentary about the Manasas Tigers, a high-school football team, from a disadvantaged part of Memphis. It's powerful stuff and had me welling up in a couple of parts. The all African-American team is coached voluntarily by a white businessman named Bill Courtney, who comes across as a truly great man, and works relentlessly to help his players to become better people.

seafoid

This is a very interesting RTE radio doc about Champions League team Shakhtar Donetsk and the war in Ukraine

http://www.rte.ie/radio1/doconone/2014/1008/650902-bombs-balls-and-beyonce/
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Up The Middle

Quote from: Asal Mor on November 06, 2014, 04:07:51 AM
Just watched "Undefeated", a documentary about the Manasas Tigers, a high-school football team, from a disadvantaged part of Memphis. It's powerful stuff and had me welling up in a couple of parts. The all African-American team is coached voluntarily by a white businessman named Bill Courtney, who comes across as a truly great man, and works relentlessly to help his players to become better people.

Watched it a few months ago, really enjoyed it.
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

screenexile

Really enjoyed this Storyville documentary about James 'The Amazing' Randi and his life's work including debunking 'faith healers' and 'psychics' like Uri Geller and Peter Popoff.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04ndsb3

Hardy

Quote from: screenexile on November 06, 2014, 09:41:04 AM
Really enjoyed this Storyville documentary about James 'The Amazing' Randi and his life's work including debunking 'faith healers' and 'psychics' like Uri Geller and Peter Popoff.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04ndsb3

Thanks for that screenexile. I wasn't aware of that documentary.I recommend the JREF, Randi's Blog and Skeptoid to anyone interested in opposing quackery, superstition and scams against the vulnerable and the gullible.