Mayo Club Football.

Started by intoDwest, November 10, 2006, 11:34:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

the Deel Rover

i see what your saying Abbeysider but against cross they only scored 10 scores of course 3 of them were goals which did the damage however cross were well in the game with 42 minutes having kept regan and especially moran quite for that lengh of time . I just can't see how the bookies have them at 8-15 it looks to me that they have them on thtm odds because of the scoreline against cross which imo doesn't tell the whole story.
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

AbbeySider

Quote from: the Deel Rover on October 16, 2008, 02:24:29 PM
i see what your saying Abbeysider but against cross they only scored 10 scores of course 3 of them were goals which did the damage however cross were well in the game with 42 minutes having kept regan and especially moran quite for that lengh of time . I just can't see how the bookies have them at 8-15 it looks to me that they have them on thtm odds because of the scoreline against cross which imo doesn't tell the whole story.

Yeah 8-15 is fairly ridicules.
Normally you see teams at practically evens for a final 11-10 or 10-11.
Im not totally writing off Charlestown. There is a few things in their favour.

Having the the underdog tag will suit them. They played some of the best club football this year and always seemed to have an extra gear.
Ballagh are on the back of having 2 games in 2 weeks and if you include the final, they will be playing 3 games in a row, week after week.
But I think they will have played about 6 games in the last 7-8 weeks which could take its toll.
Their only break, I think, was a weekend in between our first game and the replay (correct me if I am wrong there).
They fitted in 2 league games in the lead up to our replay. I think the last league game, against Ballinrobe was a week before the replay.

So that will mean they played Ballinrobe (full team I think), Ballintubber, Crossmolina, and Charlestown, in a row.
Lads are bound to be tired after that. 

It could have been the case that the league games they had in between brought them on as a team and it showed in the replay against us.
but lads have to be a little flat week after week with the hectic schedule they had lately

Davitt Man

As long as your winning is team they wont feel tired.

The thing is no matter who wins people will have an excuse

If ballagh win it will mean c\town were flat after the lay off between the semi and final where as ballagh were playing and getting the match practise in.

If C\Town it will mean ballagh were tired and 3 big games in 3 weeks was just to much and c\town were fresher on the day.

Either way it should be a good game, good local derby and i reckon c\town will sneak it.

stephenite

I hope Ballagh win, if only for the craic with the Sheepstealers screaming after every match report has them down as Ballaghaderren (Mayo)

rosnarun

Quote from: stephenite on October 17, 2008, 01:04:01 AM
I hope Ballagh win, if only for the craic with the Sheepstealers screaming after every match report has them down as Ballaghaderren (Mayo)
or else if they lose the crowd from sligo win they'll be screaming   
Oh shit shouldn't have written that . dont want Joesmammy onto me again .
think ill shelter under the hogan stand a while
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

OirthearMhaigheo

Quote from: stephenite on October 17, 2008, 01:04:01 AM

You can hear them already!!
I hope Ballagh win too but being on the Mayo side of Ballagh I would be a bit biased! It should be a good game but I couldn't care less if it is or not to be honest as long as we sneak it by a point or two. It will be very tight though and I don't know where the bookies are getting their odds from, they often get GAA predictions wrong so I wouldn't have a lot of heed on them.

Owenmoresider

Must be a rarity for a county final to have at least half the players born and bred outside the county in question, but there you go.

I noticed in the paper that it's the first time to have no north Mayo team in the final since Hollymount beat Castlebar in 94, that's a fair stint of dominance. Regarding ctown and ballagh, aside from claiming the non-mayo areas, who has claim on carracastle?

Rossie11

Great start from Balla
5-1 up after 8mins

mayo51

ballagh ahead  0.9 to 0.02 after 23 min.  ballagh playing with strong wind

Rossie11

11-2 at half. Wind or no wind looks all over

mayo51

ballagh 0.13 charlestown 1.06   8 min to go

Rossie11

Over
13 to 1-6

Great win for Ballagh. Fair play to them. Will be some celebrations in the town tonight on both sides of the divide..

Owenmoresider

And they play their other neighbours, Eastern Harps, in Connacht now. A good crew from Gurteen/Monasteraden/Cloonloo etc. would have gone to Nathy's, so there'll be plenty of banter there head of the 9th. It's in Markievicz too.

Pity Western Gaels didn't get through Roscommon, Ballagh could have had local derbies aplenty then.

Rossie11

Castlerea is only 12 miles away if they make it out of Ross so they mightnt be done with the derbies yet.
What sort have a team do the Harps have Owenmoresider?
Ballagh should be favs I would think.

Owenmoresider

Harps are quite a good team as Sligo sides go, have a good few countymen, Donovan at FB, McGovern at wing-back, Phillips CHB, and the Taylor duo, Paul still the key man, no pace, so Drake will have that on him, but few better with ball in hand. Donovan will probably take on Regan and might handle him, though it will be a tough task, but Moran might make hay as Harps' CB's aren't as good as the spine of the team. Wing-forwards are workmanlike but can be frustrating, and Rafferty at CHF was the key man in the county final, a terrier-like lad with good pace who will pose trouble, but then Hanley will be on him. Midfield may be even enough, Harps have improved in this department with Taylor's return as it cost them badly last year. I'd expect Ballagh to win, but not without a fight.