Kerry v Mayo - Super 8s Round 1

Started by Mayo4Sam14, July 07, 2019, 10:23:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

omagh_gael

From an neurtral point of view you'd have to come down very hard on Clarke's kickouts. They were abysmal for this level. Sunday game last night highlighted the huge spaces behind midfield up the wings. If Morgan, Parton, Cluxton or Beggan faced that press they'd have sent 70m bombs up into those spaces for a flick on etc. I bet big David Morgan couldn't believe his luck when Clarke floated those hangers in around the 45/midfield area.

Even one or two low flight, past midfield kicks would have put manners on the Kerry press. How the hell did this message not get out to Clarke from the bench? He's a big lump of a lad, surely he had the distance and could kick using a low trajectory!

highorlow

Question for Kerry "supporters". What's  the kick ye get out of booing individual players?

Was it not enough for ye to be 8 points up for most of the game.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

Farrandeelin

Agree with everyone on Clarke's kick outs. Killed us. Leaving the full back line exposed, killed us. Missing Paddy Durcan, killed us. Terrible at midfield killed us and so on and so forth.

I was on the terrace down where Mayo were doing their warm up. Surely to God the day was warm enough without having to run out as far as the 21 line as fast as possible for about ten times at least, and run back again. Not sure what Kerry did but any time I looked down they were kicking footballs!

It was over early on. But why the hell does Horan take until half-time to do anything about it? Maybe Seamie O'Shea could have been brought on with 20 mins gone, might have stifled some threat that Vaughan, who isn't a midfielder (if I'd a euro for every time I said that I would be a bit wealthier) did.

PS, all the Kerry supporters around me were dead on. However on the way out I was met with 'HOW'S YOUR MAYO FOR SAM CAMPAIGN COMING ALONG NOW BOIIII HAHA'.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Hound

Quote from: WhoDat on July 15, 2019, 11:12:47 AM

I'm not from Mayo.
My comment is about something larger than Mayo. That there are people who are happy for the ridiculous structure and scheduling of the championship to stay the way it is just because they want certain teams to fail speaks volumes about where the mentality of supporters is at nowadays in the organisation.
???

Who do they want to fail?

Mayo haven't won Connacht in a while, but they've been favourites to win it for each of the last 6 or 7 years, and but for missing a tap over free could well have won it this year despite their injuries. Tyrone came through the back door last year and got to an All Ireland final. They could do the same again this year.

Playing every week would be no big deal to Mayo any other year. Once the training is sensible, most players would actually prefer it. But it's the injuries that have crippled Mayo this year. And you've as much chance of getting injured in training as in a match, and Mayo's injuries have been split between the two I understand. Even if Mayo had won Connacht and played that same starting team in Castlebar v Tyrone, they would have been well beaten. Durkan and Ruane have probably been Mayo's two best players this year, and you'd expect a big game from DOC at this stage of the championship too. Huge losses. Plus Kerry really did up their game.

kerryforsam19

Quote from: highorlow on July 15, 2019, 12:05:18 PM
Question for Kerry "supporters". What's  the kick ye get out of booing individual players?

Was it not enough for ye to be 8 points up for most of the game.

Didn't hear any myself.  Sure there always a small minority acting the gowl

Blowitupref

Quote from: Hound on July 15, 2019, 12:24:45 PM
Quote from: WhoDat on July 15, 2019, 11:12:47 AM

I'm not from Mayo.
My comment is about something larger than Mayo. That there are people who are happy for the ridiculous structure and scheduling of the championship to stay the way it is just because they want certain teams to fail speaks volumes about where the mentality of supporters is at nowadays in the organisation.
???

Who do they want to fail?

Mayo haven't won Connacht in a while, but they've been favourites to win it for each of the last 6 or 7 years, and but for missing a tap over free could well have won it this year despite their injuries. Tyrone came through the back door last year and got to an All Ireland final. They could do the same again this year.

Playing every week would be no big deal to Mayo any other year. Once the training is sensible, most players would actually prefer it. But it's the injuries that have crippled Mayo this year. And you've as much chance of getting injured in training as in a match, and Mayo's injuries have been split between the two I understand. Even if Mayo had won Connacht and played that same starting team in Castlebar v Tyrone, they would have been well beaten. Durkan and Ruane have probably been Mayo's two best players this year, and you'd expect a big game from DOC at this stage of the championship too. Huge losses. Plus Kerry really did up their game.

Even with Ruane, Durcan i reckon Tyrone would have beaten Mayo in Castlebar then next up would be Croke Park v Dublin and almost certain defeat leaving the last game a dead rubber.

At least the situation Mayo face currently gives them a better chance to reach the last 4. Are favourites to beat Meath and if they do they could face a do or die match v Donegal which is normally the types of games these Mayo players love to play in.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

GalwayBayBoy

Are teams on level points separated by the head to head result or points difference because if Donegal beat Kerry next weekend then Mayo look goosed on points difference unless they go out and annihilate Meath?

Rossfan

Head to head if 2 teams level.
Score difference if more than 2 teams level or the head to head was a draw.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Armagh18

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on July 15, 2019, 12:45:45 PM
Are teams on level points separated by the head to head result or points difference because if Donegal beat Kerry next weekend then Mayo look goosed on points difference unless they go out and annihilate Meath?
2 teams head to head, but if 3 teams level then scoring difference I think.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Rossfan on July 15, 2019, 12:47:47 PM
Head to head if 2 teams level.
Score difference if more than 2 teams level or the head to head was a draw.

I guess Donegal beating Kerry and then Mayo beating Donegal could easily lead to a 3 way tie in the end. Providing Meath don't spring a surprise.

Dubhaltach

There was only ever going to be one winner yesterday. After last year's no show in the super 8s, Kerry treated the match as do or die and  they fought for every ball like their lives depended on it. Mayo were the polar opposite, extremely casual throughout and it was like they had it in the back of their minds that the Meath and Donegal games were the important games. The big problem with that mindset is that if Donegal beat Kerry next weekend, we're as good as out. The amount of of sloppy kick-passes by Mayo yesterday was criminal and I think it had a lot to do with this overall casual attitude.

Even though it wouldn't have changed the result, I thought Sean Hurson absolutely rode Mayo in the first half. He gave Kerry 4 very soft frees, one each against Harrison, Keegan, Aidan and McDonagh. He missed a blatant black card for Spillane and awarded a point to Sean O Se that was clearly wide. At the other end, he didn't give a stonewall free to James Carr and another time gave no advantage to Darren Coen despite putting up his hand.

As others have said, kickout strategy was a shambles and the real damage was done between the 20th and 30th minute. With Kerry pushing up so high, there was an acre of space behind them. Surely the thing to do when a short one wasn't on was to kick a long boomer over the high press. I've seen Clarke get decent distance before so no reason we could have gone with that yesterday.

The performance of David Clifford was pure class. The man is virtually unmarkable when given a good supply of ball and left one on one. One of the few silver linings to take away from the long trip to Killarney.

whitey

All of those soft frees came at the same time as Mayo we're struggling to get into the game mid way through the first half. We'd still have been beaten and beaten well, but the game wouldn't have been over by half time.

rosnarun

Quote from: Farrandeelin on July 15, 2019, 12:12:51 PM
Agree with everyone on Clarke's kick outs. Killed us. Leaving the full back line exposed, killed us. Missing Paddy Durcan, killed us. Terrible at midfield killed us and so on and so forth.

I was on the terrace down where Mayo were doing their warm up. Surely to God the day was warm enough without having to run out as far as the 21 line as fast as possible for about ten times at least, and run back again. Not sure what Kerry did but any time I looked down they were kicking footballs!

It was over early on. But why the hell does Horan take until half-time to do anything about it? Maybe Seamie O'Shea could have been brought on with 20 mins gone, might have stifled some threat that Vaughan, who isn't a midfielder (if I'd a euro for every time I said that I would be a bit wealthier) did.

PS, all the Kerry supporters around me were dead on. However on the way out I was met with 'HOW'S YOUR MAYO FOR SAM CAMPAIGN COMING ALONG NOW BOIIII HAHA'.
the Goalie Question is now seriously back on the agenda . though Clarke did make one brilliant save and read another very well , what Slingerman like?

One thing I will say though is from having watched Mayo football for a long time is one weeks performance is a poor indicator of the following or indeed previous one,
I would stiil expect may to to beat Meath and Donegal , and if ketty can carry that Form to croke park they would take caes of Donegal and it an all-Ireland semi for mayo and  from them on its a whole new ball game again
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Halfquarter

Quote from: kerryforsam19 on July 15, 2019, 11:24:35 AM
Quote from: From the Bunker on July 15, 2019, 12:38:03 AM
Quote from: moysider on July 15, 2019, 12:27:56 AM
Quote from: The Hill is Blue on July 15, 2019, 12:02:35 AM
Quote from: From the Bunker on July 14, 2019, 11:48:24 PM
Quote from: WhoDat on July 14, 2019, 11:32:57 PM
As abject and toothless a performance as I've seen from a Mayo team in a long time. Some of them didn't even look remotely interested in being there and beaten to every ball from the first minute. Kerry looked hungrier and more up for it from the word go. I guess this is what happens when injuries and games on top of games add up. Kerry had a couple of weeks to prepare for this game while Mayo have been bouncing from game to game, week in and week out while juggling injuries. It caught up with them. Kerry were fresh and prepared while Mayo looked out on their feet. The scheduling for these games is an absolute mess. It shouldn't be that one team is able to bounce into this phase of the competition after a couple of weeks' break while another is doing multiple games on the trot just to get to the next phase where they will have to continue playing week in week out in the Super 8s. Every team should be given some breathing space to prepare for this stage of the competition.

That said, Mayo were miserable to watch. Leggy, disinterested, kickouts an absolute shit show from the word go, defenders seriously lacking pace, forwards receiving the worst ball imaginable. When you make Shane Enright look like a quality defender, you know something is seriously amiss with your team.

It's a serious uphill battle for Mayo now. I'm not even sure they'll beat Meath, I don't even know if they'll win a single game in this Super 8s. I'm also not sure Kerry will do them a favour next week either and beat Donegal.

The Super Duper 8's is set up to take extra money from Mayo fans and made it almost impossible for their aging team to be successful  in it.

I have had a strange numbness about inter-county football for the last 2 years. There was a time when I would be depressed about today's result.  I sort of don't care now.

I look at the Sunday Game and they talk about the Championship as it is 2009 again. It's not!

The worst thing about this Dublin dominance is that the GAA fraternity are looking to Kerry for a solution.

Same as it ever was. In the past, whenever Dublin dominated, the rest of the country became Kerry supporters. Nothing's changed.

Not everybody thinks that way.

I'd rather see Dublin win 10 in a row, than Kerry win one!

What did Kerry do to deserve all that hate?
You made a substantial contribution yourself.

blast05

Quote from: Dubhaltach on July 15, 2019, 01:48:04 PM
Even though it wouldn't have changed the result, I thought Sean Hurson absolutely rode Mayo in the first half. He gave Kerry 4 very soft frees, one each against Harrison, Keegan, Aidan and McDonagh. He missed a blatant black card for Spillane and awarded a point to Sean O Se that was clearly wide. At the other end, he didn't give a stonewall free to James Carr and another time gave no advantage to Darren Coen despite putting up his hand.

There was another in the 2nd half (can't recall who kicked it) but on the Sunday game, commentary remarked how it brushed/bounced off the top of the post.
If there had been a Hawkeye and the umpire deferred to, it would have come back with the message "of course its not a point ya blind feckin' idjiot"   ;D  .... but point for Kerry