Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moonshine

What about conor mc kenna in middle i hear hes back training with tyrone

Angelo

Quote from: Moonshine on September 23, 2020, 06:18:20 PM
What about conor mc kenna in middle i hear hes back training with tyrone

Think we need McKenna in the forward line. I'd say McDonnell will be the one Harte will entrust but I've not been too impressed with what I've seen to date.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

skeog

Looking like Donegal be in full lockdown soon,what way does it work if County not able to play fixture?.

Goals_Will_Come

Quote from: Angelo on September 23, 2020, 12:09:23 PM
What's our best midfield pairing now.

At the minute we have:

Kennedy
Kilpatrick
R Donnelly
McDonnell
C McCann
McClure

You have the likes of M Donnelly and Hampsey who have played there in the past but they are better utilised elsewhere, as McKenna will be when he returns.

Richie Donnelly is the best footballer of that lot but I do worry about his pace in a big match in Croke Park. Kennedy had an ok year last time around, it was his first year at intercounty football so you have to show patience with him. Kilpatrick is very inexperienced as well. I don't think McClure or McCann are up to holding down a regular place either and I'd put McDonnell in the same bracket there. Grugan had left the panel I think but he really underwhelmed in the opportunities he was given.

In light of this I think Harte should probably be looking to bring Paudie McNulty back into the squad.
Very very light around the middle in terms of quality. Probably looking at Richie as first choice alongside Kennedy or Kilpatrick.
Any use in Coney around the middle?

Angelo

Quote from: Goals_Will_Come on September 23, 2020, 09:30:42 PM
Quote from: Angelo on September 23, 2020, 12:09:23 PM
What's our best midfield pairing now.

At the minute we have:

Kennedy
Kilpatrick
R Donnelly
McDonnell
C McCann
McClure

You have the likes of M Donnelly and Hampsey who have played there in the past but they are better utilised elsewhere, as McKenna will be when he returns.

Richie Donnelly is the best footballer of that lot but I do worry about his pace in a big match in Croke Park. Kennedy had an ok year last time around, it was his first year at intercounty football so you have to show patience with him. Kilpatrick is very inexperienced as well. I don't think McClure or McCann are up to holding down a regular place either and I'd put McDonnell in the same bracket there. Grugan had left the panel I think but he really underwhelmed in the opportunities he was given.

In light of this I think Harte should probably be looking to bring Paudie McNulty back into the squad.
Very very light around the middle in terms of quality. Probably looking at Richie as first choice alongside Kennedy or Kilpatrick.
Any use in Coney around the middle?

Coney probably suffers from the same issue as R Donnelly in that mobility is the issue and I think he's probably worse in that regard than Richie

square_ball

That's not a bad shout on Coney out around the middle but I think that would be too adventurous for Harte. It'll be Ben McDonnell as Angelo says and I'd guess at Kennedy to partner him. We are very very light in that area. I've always been a fan of McClure but he seems to be out of favour before the season was halted. Maybe McKenna will be given a go in the middle in these upcoming league games.

Angelo

Quote from: square_ball on September 23, 2020, 10:51:25 PM
That's not a bad shout on Coney out around the middle but I think that would be too adventurous for Harte. It'll be Ben McDonnell as Angelo says and I'd guess at Kennedy to partner him. We are very very light in that area. I've always been a fan of McClure but he seems to be out of favour before the season was halted. Maybe McKenna will be given a go in the middle in these upcoming league games.

McClure missed the start of the league after knee surgery.

I don't know what to make of McClure, is he a half forward or a midfielder? He is mobile, decent in the air and can get a score or two but lacks a bit of presence.

Again I think McKenna needs to be left for the half forward line.

Club boi

Quote from: skeog on September 23, 2020, 08:32:53 PM
Looking like Donegal be in full lockdown soon,what way does it work if County not able to play fixture?.

Tyrones best chance of beating Donegal

Dire Ear

O'Donnell shouldnt be involved in a county squad, not near good enough.
Hardly makes an influence in a club game ffs

bigpackiechestout

Coney is far too lackadaisical for midfield at county level, and lacks size in comparison to other intercounty midfielders. Imagine him competing against Hugh McFadden or Jason McGee against Donegal in the first round. McClure and Conall McCann have the same problem.

Also bear in mind that this is all going to be played in bad weather and on heavy pitches and we'll be cutting our cloth accordingly. Richie Donnelly and Kennedy are our best bet if fit. Ordinarily my concern with them is that they would struggle with the pace of the game in the big spaces of Croke Park on a summers day, but that will not be an issue this time.

Angelo

Quote from: bigpackiechestout on September 24, 2020, 10:34:39 AM

Coney is far too lackadaisical for midfield at county level, and lacks size in comparison to other intercounty midfielders. Imagine him competing against Hugh McFadden or Jason McGee against Donegal in the first round. McClure and Conall McCann have the same problem.

Also bear in mind that this is all going to be played in bad weather and on heavy pitches and we'll be cutting our cloth accordingly. Richie Donnelly and Kennedy are our best bet if fit. Ordinarily my concern with them is that they would struggle with the pace of the game in the big spaces of Croke Park on a summers day, but that will not be an issue this time.

Conall McCann strikes me as the type of chap who would go off on his holidays for a week and leave the doors of his house wide open. He'd be an excellent player if he had a bit more focus and aggression to him. He's 26/27 now and is probably not going to break in at this time.

McGleenan's young lad looks to have all the talents to be a top class midfielder in years to come but he has a good bit of developing to do.

It's always been a weak area for Tyrone, is there anything much better in the county at the minute? I always thought Nugent from Galbally was a very good player any time I've seen him and would probably be worth a go at some point.

It would be two of Richie/Kilpatrick/Kennedy for me anyway.

NotedObserver

Michael Cassidy played around the middle against Kerry in the semi final and competed well. Has more about him than some of the other names mentioned.

Pearse Blue

Quote from: NotedObserver on September 24, 2020, 12:20:12 PM
Michael Cassidy played around the middle against Kerry in the semi final and competed well. Has more about him than some of the other names mentioned.
Absolutely took to the cleaners by Paul Donaghy in the championship...

Completely right about McCann, will be nowhere near it.

Midfield definitely our weakest point, and possibly Donegals strongest point

bigpackiechestout

Quote from: Pearse Blue on September 24, 2020, 02:03:50 PM
Absolutely took to the cleaners by Paul Donaghy in the championship...

Completely right about McCann, will be nowhere near it.

Midfield definitely our weakest point, and possibly Donegals strongest point

I think Kennedy has the attributes to be a quality county midfielder - we've historically not been blessed with a lot of huge men in our panel but Kennedy definitely has the size, he's a decent footballer as well and has a bit of aggression about him. We need to invest in him over the next couple of years and hope he gets a bit of luck with injuries.

Last years under 20s had a big midfield partnership. Ruairi Gormley was captain and I thought he would have got a senior call up this year but it didn't happen. Does anyone know how he's been doing for Strabane? Strabane seem to be struggling as a side so I'd be worried for Gormley's progression the longer he spends removed from a county set up.

His under 20s midfield partner was Joe Oguz, who is on this year's under 20 team also. He's another big lad who I'd hope would push on over the next couple of years but I know he's had some bad luck with injuries and missed Errigal's championship games this year.

Angelo

Cassidy was there to do a man marking job on Moran, he did an alright job on the day but he's not a midfielder.