Club Hurling

Started by BallyroanAbbey, April 16, 2017, 11:40:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mad Mentor

Am I being churlish to feel sorry for the Harps minors who lost to a three club amalgamation today? This alliance is just for this age group and they are not together at any other age.

clonadmad

Quote from: Mad Mentor on October 07, 2018, 01:38:19 PM
Am I being churlish to feel sorry for the Harps minors who lost to a three club amalgamation today? This alliance is just for this age group and they are not together at any other age.

Who's the 3rd club MM?

CB,Mountrath and ?

Dwayne Johnston

BallyroanAbbey

jaysus there is nothing in the harps at all, cullohill and durrow would probably make it to senior a level by themselves, maybe its finally time to evaluate the harps as aa concept because they are at the moment as much a prime example of a failed amalgamation as rathdowney/errill are of a successful one.

Behindthefence

I think it's actually a very good example of why amalgamations are allowed. Between the three clubs they only have 20 players. Ballacolla have a strong tradition of fielding teams on their own and this just happens to be an age group they are shy players for, as can happen with rural club's. It also gives Mountrath and trumera players a chance to play A hurling which they might otherwise not have had.

clonadmad

Quote from: Dwayne Johnston on October 07, 2018, 03:03:27 PM
Trumera I believe

The 2 cuddys are now hurling with mountrath full time,I believe

Fair play to Ballyroan fro giving one of them a home for football too

Downtheroad

Quote from: Behindthefence on October 07, 2018, 04:13:25 PM
I think it's actually a very good example of why amalgamations are allowed. Between the three clubs they only have 20 players. Ballacolla have a strong tradition of fielding teams on their own and this just happens to be an age group they are shy players for, as can happen with rural club's. It also gives Mountrath and trumera players a chance to play A hurling which they might otherwise not have had.
Have to agree. None of the clubs involved had remotely a team on  their own.

BallyroanAbbey

im talking about the harps as an amalgamation at senior level, nothing to do with underage or ballacolla trumera mountrath, the reasons for teams amalgamating is either one or more domt have enough on their own which isnt the case with the harps, or to win things which they havnt done. I genuinely feel they would both be at the level they are at now by themselves

merman

Quote from: Behindthefence on October 07, 2018, 04:13:25 PM

Fair point. Did feel harsh on The Harps tho. Better team won overall.

The Senior A game was exciting but the standard was underwhelming. I have to give Portlaoise credit; they surprised me with their cohesion and were full value for their win. The Harps were disappointing and they remain the great underachievers of Laois hurling. A long winter ahead.

The senior final was marred for me.
The referee has a duty of care to the players on the pitch and he was negligible in not protecting out county captain today.
There are so many proud people in Camross, men and women of character and they will have been disgusted by the strike from the player who was quite rightly subbed at half-time. I hope Ross King is ok; it looked a horrible injury and the rumour going around the stand was that he had lost his two front teeth.

Anyway, it remains a brilliant achievement for Camross. Back to back champions and undoubtedly the best team in Laois over the last 4 years.
I hope we see them give Leinster a right rattle.

Keyser Söze

It was a dirty dirty belt that should have been an automatic red. This referee seems to want to use his own personal rule book to "let the game flow". Every game is a controversy, and the duty of care bit is very true. One of the players booked in this incident should have been sent off for a headbutt (right in front of the referee) after about 5 minutes.
The man should not be rewarded with Senior finals.
The incident, and more importantly the outcome of it, had a major effect on the game thereafter.

I don't agree with earlier posters re the minor amalgamation.
You can always step back to B in the odd years you are not particularly strong and use your own u15s/16s. Isn't that what rural clubs have always done.
I don't think this win will be of much benefit to any of the 3 clubs involved (Yes there were 3 involved).

Also, The Harps underperformed today. But it is a bit dramatic to start talking about disbanding the club as a magic fix.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

burdizzo

I thought the standard of the Senior A, while not amazing, was certainly better than the Senior A final last year. Basically, Portlaoise won it through hard work, harrying, and tackling. Some good lads to catch a ball, too. Harps probably the more skilful team, but as ever, couldn't mix it in the physical stakes.
Anyway, good to see them win it, in a way - although everyone loves to beat them, Laois needs a strong hurling team in the middle of the county.

What you say about the ref is correct, but the writing was on the wall from the semi-final against Borris. Today he seemed far more fussy overall, but could easily have handed out a red. Still, Camross have that mix of doggedness, steel and a some skilful lads. Collier had another great game.
Laois clubs have underachieved in Leinster recently, and I don't see why this year should be much different...

Downtheroad

It was a shocking pull  and the real disappointment was the ref who bottled it. It's not the first time where Camross have got away with this type of tactic. Considering how they behaved last year, I don't expect them to give Leinster a rattle. Ross King deserves better than what happened today. Only a few weeks ago Clonaslee behaved the same against Portlaoise. This is not acceptable in 2018.

Dwayne Johnston

Re the minor final, didn't the harps win a minor joined with ballinakill a few years back? Maybe not but they were certainly joined at one stage. I think it will benefit Mountrath to have those chaps on a winning team but yes in an ideal world they should be able to field their own team.

merman

Quote from: Dwayne Johnston on October 07, 2018, 07:52:30 PM
Re the minor final, didn't the harps win a minor joined with ballinakill a few years back? Maybe not but they were certainly joined at one stage. I think it will benefit Mountrath to have those chaps on a winning team but yes in an ideal world they should be able to field their own team.
They won an U21 beating Ballacolla on the way.
I heard it mentioned about 3 times today.  ::)

oneflewoverthecuckoonest

I have mentioned earlier on this particular thread my view that Laois hurling is starting to fall off a cliff. Nothing I saw today changes that verdict.
Poor Eddie Brennan must be feeling uneasy, because with little coming through the underage ranks to boost the senior squad, his goal in 2019 may be to remain in the joe mcdonagh ranks.

I feel sorry for The Harps, defeated in two finals today. The Senior B final was no spectacle. Deegan is a promising coach within the confines of Laois, today the tactics were wrong.  I suppose the fact that so many Harps players failed to perform can render tactics as useless.  Two moderate sides, neither would survive in Kilkenny at Intermediate level if truth be told. The difference was Cahir Healy, take him out of the Portlaoise side and they may have collapsed in defence.  When Healy retires, the shelf life of this Portlaoise hurling group at Senior A grade will be limited.

The main event was a typical professional "getting the job done" effort by Camross.  Once they got their heads in front, the writing was on the wall. Alas Camross hold no chance in Leinster.

Like Merman, the moment from the 2018 final they will be etched in my memory was the assault by a Camross player right in front of the middle of the stands....not one, two but three vicious blows to a player prone on the ground.  An assault, not accident, and let us call a spade a spade, the act of a tr**p.

The referee saw it, the linesman saw it, the 4th official saw it.  To dish out a yellow card instead of an instant red card was an insult to the game of hurling.

O Brien gets an easy enough ride as he is an outsider officiating here, after this he should get no more county finals, I could say more. Yet the clowns who appoint such officials will turn a blind eye.

That the victim of the assault was a soldier who has given great service to the county to rubs salt into the wounds. I am not from Rathdowney/Errill and would consider myself neutral...naked assaults deserve punishment.
When the incident occurred R/E were leading and Camross not firing....Camross should have been reduced to 14 men and the outcome would have been different.