We're going to bring home the SAM

dublin7

Quote from: Itchy on November 04, 2020, 07:26:38 PM
Quote from: dublin7 on November 04, 2020, 11:58:57 AM
Quote from: Itchy on November 04, 2020, 11:35:58 AM
Quote from: dublin7 on November 04, 2020, 10:26:46 AM
Quote from: oliverkelly on November 04, 2020, 08:31:11 AM
Quote from: SLIGONIAN on November 04, 2020, 12:12:29 AM
I am skeptical no other counties are affected, Sligo is in the bottom 5 number of cases compared to others. Leitrim is the lowest yet the only 3 counties affected by covid along with Fermanagh.

I'd say a fair few cover-ups happening within county setups. Before you comment look at what the Dodgers did in the world series final game.

Privately I did say I would be surprised if they get to finish the championship. Imagine if covid had hit Mayo, Roscommon and Galway would Sligo be Connacht champions by default? It's farcical.

For me I am disappointed in part because you always think you have a chance but also know we likely avoided a hammering. I just care about the wellbeing of everyone affected tbh and their families. Wishing all a speedy recovery.

Strange how come the championship none of the big counties seem to have been effected. Wexford for example has seen a massive spike in cases in the last few weeks mainly due to the GAA, but none of their players missed the game at the weekend. Cavan has one of the worst infection rates in the country yet they haven't lost any players.

With the minimal testing in place it seems you have to be really unlucky to lose a player to Covid.

What are you on about? Plenty of more counties have been effected by covid. Antrim and Offaly hurlers. Wexford had four cases on their football team and two on their hurling team. Tyrone had a confirmed case on their football team as had Donegal a bit before the league. We ourselves were down 14 players and our manager for the league game against Cavan, We missed all those for two weeks training and only had them back last Saturday.

Cavan had plenty of issues from COVID, the entire Crosserlough team was missing for our league game against Kildare. Our issues started before most counties and effected the league more so that the championship. We had two potential starters missing against Monaghan but I am not sure why. Cavan also took extra precautions for their league games as a result, players driving individually to matches instead of using a team bus. Roscommon used a bus to Armagh and cost themselves 14 players. I dont know what Sligo were doing but maybe they werent following best practice. You also have no evidence to back up any alegations of COVID test "fraud" in any county.

I never mentioned fraud, you did. What I did say was the testing is minimal compared to rugby and soccer. If you don't test players you won't find covid. I'm not the only cyncial one when it comes to testing. Club championshis have shown players are willing to cover up tests, Sean Cavanagh believes players will cover up symptoms avoid tests if they have to. Conor McKenna admitted Tyrone didn't take up the rapid test option from the GAA after one of their players tested positive for Covid a couple of weeks ago.

You implied it

Strange how come the championship none of the big counties seem to have been effected. Wexford for example has seen a massive spike in cases in the last few weeks mainly due to the GAA, but none of their players missed the game at the weekend. Cavan has one of the worst infection rates in the country yet they haven't lost any players.

No evidence produced, just shite talk

I'm confused. Your angry at my allegations of fraud even though I didn't make any. That's quality Donald Trumpesque points your making. You need to stop watching the US elections 

Rossfan

Feck off ye 2. This thread is for Connacht people.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Never beat the deeler

Terribly unfortunate for the players involved and hope they make a full recovery.

I thought the following sentence from the Sligo board statement a bit curious:
QuoteDue to the unforeseen circumstances of players testing positive for Covid-19 and other players deemed as close contacts, makes it impossible for Sligo to fulfil the fixture.

Are they saying that players testing positive was unforeseen or that other players being deemed close contacts was unforeseen.
The former can't really be unforeseen, is somebody external to the panel telling them that other players must be deemed close contacts? I didn't think that was the case.

Of course, I could be reading too much into this and maybe they meant the unfortunate circumstances, rather than unforeseen.
Hasta la victoria siempre

oliverkelly

Quote from: Never beat the deeler on November 05, 2020, 12:43:55 AM
Terribly unfortunate for the players involved and hope they make a full recovery.

I thought the following sentence from the Sligo board statement a bit curious:
QuoteDue to the unforeseen circumstances of players testing positive for Covid-19 and other players deemed as close contacts, makes it impossible for Sligo to fulfil the fixture.

Are they saying that players testing positive was unforeseen or that other players being deemed close contacts was unforeseen.
The former can't really be unforeseen, is somebody external to the panel telling them that other players must be deemed close contacts? I didn't think that was the case.

Of course, I could be reading too much into this and maybe they meant the unfortunate circumstances, rather than unforeseen.

Its the HSE who decide who are close contacts and who has to self isolate. Well that is who made the call when Roscommon panel had the case

An Fhairche Abu

FAO the Galway lads here - although it might only be for the sake of one game in Connacht this year!

Galway Senior Football Championship Panel 2020:
1.   Bernard Power (Corofin)
2.   Conor Gleeson (Dunmore MacHales)
3.   Ronan Ó Beolain (Mícheál Breathnach)
4.   Liam Silke (Corofin)
5.   Kieran Molloy (Corofin)
6.   Gareth Bradshaw (Moycullen)
7.   Seán Kelly (Moycullen)
8.   Cathal Sweeney (Salthill/Knocknacarra)
9.   Johnny Duane (St James')
10.   James Foley (Mountbellew/Moylough)
11.   Seán Andy Ó Ceallaigh (Naomh Anna, Leitir Mór)
12.   Seán Ó Maoilchiaráin (Aran Islands)
13.   Johnny Heaney (Killannin)
14.   Gary O'Donnell (Tuam Stars)
15.   Cillian McDaid (Monivea-Abbey)
16.   Conor Campbell (Claregalway)
17.   Ronan Steede (Corofin)
18.   Tom Flynn (Athenry)
19.   John Maher (Salthill/Knocknacarra)
20.   Maitias Ó Bairéid (Naomh Anna, Leitir Mór)
21.   Fiontán Ó Curraoin (Mícheál Breathnach)
22.   Cein D'Arcy (Caherlistrane)
23.   Ian Burke (Corofin)
24.   Jason Leonard (Corofin)
25.   Gary Sice (Corofin)
26.   Robert Finnerty (Salthill/Knocknacarra)
27.   Evan Murphy (Salthill/Knocknacarra)
28.   Dessie Conneely (Moycullen)
29.   Paul Kelly (Moycullen)
30.   Paul Conroy (St James')
31.   Michael Daly (Mountbellew/Moylough)
32.   Shane Walsh (Kilkerrin/Clonberne)
33.   Damien Comer (Annaghdown)
34.   Adrian Varley (Cortoon Shamrocks)
35.   Liam Costello (Milltown)
36.   Eamon Brannigan (St. Michael's)
37.   Matthew Tierney (Oughterard)

15 players from 2019 championship panel gone which shows the huge turnover in panel numbers year on year and in all honesty about 3/4 of those missing players I'd say would be in the starting team if they were fit and available which isn't that great really facing into a winner take all Connacht final in 9 days time.

Interesting to see Evan Murphy called in, no more than his clubmate Maher I wouldn't have predicted that based on club championship this year, although he was a good minor prospect in 2016, has been out of the frame since then from both playing soccer and also with a fairly serious injury.
Paul Kelly, Cathal Sweeney and Matthew Tierney in from the U20 team, whatever about this year Sweeney and Tierney in particular have the ability to be really special footballers for Galway down the road but making that leap from underage to Senior has proved very tricky for the lads that have looked our best U21/20 players over the last few years (Daly and McDaid looked world beaters at U21 level but Seán Kelly has been the most effective player for Galway Seniors from that team to date) so hopefully they pan out better in that respect.

Maroon Manc

Murphy can't have played much football since 2017, surprised he's back in. The last time I saw him play was in a minor quarter final against Cavan where he was poor.  Good to see Cathal Sweeney in, I thought he was the standout player from that minor team 2 years ago. I'd give McDaid plenty of time, barely played much football since he came back from Australia, had big injury problems last year and this. After Walsh & Comer he's the most impressive player I've seen at U21 level the last 7 or 8 years. Tierney looks to have all the ability to be a top player but looks like he's still got a lot of filling out to do.

Daly has been a major disappointment, wouldn't mind see him get a run out at midfield given the issues Galway have although I suspect they've done that in training and its not worked.

magpie seanie

Nice 32 player panel there.

GalwayBayBoy

According to local radio, after tests, 10 Sligo players and 1 back room team member have Covid.

Manning18

Murphy, in his second year, was probably the best minor prospect ive seen for Galway since Michael Meehan. Maybe James McLaughlin last year would be close. Id say that leg injury has set him back no end but he's definitely talented and probably good experience with a view to next year. Realistically we're not going to see any real new faces this year, with the opposition to be Mayo/Ros and Kerry if lucky thereafter.

Eoin Finnerty was maybe the standout forward of the club championship so strange not to see him there, possibly his own reasons. One other player that's dropped off from the spring seems to be Daragh Silke. I sense Joyce really fancies Tierney, throwing him into that close game against Kerry in spring off the back of an u20 game indicated as much. Again, unlikely we'll see him though this championship in the circumstances. Dessie Connelly would be another one who's at the peak of his powers but probably won't see a field due to his lack of previous experience in a senior shirt.

MayoBuck

Mayo team named...

1. David Clarke - Ballina Stephenites
2. Oisín Mullin - Kilmaine
3. Chris Barrett - Clontarf
4. Lee Keegan - Westport
5. Patrick Durcan - Castlebar Mitchels
6. Stephen Coen - Hollymount/Carramore
7. Eoghan McLaughlin - Westport
8. Matthew Ruane - Breaffy
9. Conor Loftus - Crossmolina Deel Rovers
10. Bryan Walsh - Ballintubber
11. Ryan O'Donoghue - Belmullet
12. Diarmuid O'Connor - Ballintubber
13. Tommy Conroy - The Neale
14. Aidan O'Shea - Breaffy (C)
15. Cillian O'Connor - Ballintubber

galwayman

Is Kevin McLoughlin injured? Class player. Strange he is not in at 10.

I assume this isn't a dummy team as it wouldn't be Horan's style?

Blowitupref

Quote from: galwayman on November 06, 2020, 01:43:35 PM

Horan rarely starts with his published team. I'd expect McLoughlin to start in the half forward line in place of Walsh or O Donoghue.

Roscommon team also named.

Colm Lavin – Éire Óg
David Murray – Padraig Pearses
Conor Daly – Padraig Pearses
Sean Mullooly – Strokestown
Ronan Daly – Padraig Pearses
Brian Stack – St Brigids
Niall Daly – Padraig Pearses
Cathal Compton – Strokestown
Tadhg O'Rourke – Tulsk
Niall Kilroy – Fuerty
Enda Smith – Boyle
Cian McKeon – Boyle
Donie Smith – Boyle
Conor Cox – Éire Óg
Cathal Cregg – Western Gaels
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: Blowitupref on November 06, 2020, 02:06:19 PM
Quote from: galwayman on November 06, 2020, 01:43:35 PM

Horan rarely starts with his published team. I'd expect McLoughlin to start in the half forward line in place of Walsh or O Donoghue.

Roscommon team also named.

Colm Lavin – Éire Óg
David Murray – Padraig Pearses
Conor Daly – Padraig Pearses
Sean Mullooly – Strokestown
Ronan Daly – Padraig Pearses
Brian Stack – St Brigids
Niall Daly – Padraig Pearses
Cathal Compton – Strokestown
Tadhg O'Rourke – Tulsk
Niall Kilroy – Fuerty
Enda Smith – Boyle