Connacht SFC 2020

Started by Rossfan, October 26, 2020, 01:43:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blowitupref

Quote from: Farrandeelin on November 03, 2020, 09:51:10 PM
Eamon O'Hara tweeting the game is off.

If true I presume most of their team are considered as close contacts.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

SLIGONIAN

"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

FermGael

Tier 2 teams being to realise exactly what their place is in the GAA
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

An Fhairche Abu

Very unfortunate for all concerned, hope all the Sligo players who have tested positive get well soon and are not seriously affected in their personal health.

Health is the most important thing but obviously this is brutal for the Galway team, need matches the way this year is setup.

GalwayBayBoy

Galway Bay fm Sport understands that the Connacht SFC semi final between Galway and Sligo is OFF. A statement from the Sligo GAA county board is imminent but the game has been conceded so Galway are through to the Connacht final against either Mayo or Roscommon without kicking a ball.
It appears Sligo GAA felt a postponement of the game wasn't an option as the infected players and those waiting on test results would still have been unavailable for a refixture.
Reports emerged yesterday of multiple cases of Covid 19 in the Sligo panel, with only 18 to 20 players allegedly available for Saturday's game in Pearse Stadium. Seven positive cases have been confirmed, with test results awaited by several others from the Sligo squad in the next 24 hours.

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on November 03, 2020, 10:43:33 PM
Galway Bay fm Sport understands that the Connacht SFC semi final between Galway and Sligo is OFF. A statement from the Sligo GAA county board is imminent but the game has been conceded so Galway are through to the Connacht final against either Mayo or Roscommon without kicking a ball.
It appears Sligo GAA felt a postponement of the game wasn't an option as the infected players and those waiting on test results would still have been unavailable for a refixture.
Reports emerged yesterday of multiple cases of Covid 19 in the Sligo panel, with only 18 to 20 players allegedly available for Saturday's game in Pearse Stadium. Seven positive cases have been confirmed, with test results awaited by several others from the Sligo squad in the next 24 hours.
They got their covid protocols completely wrong if that is the case

Rossfan

Best wishes to the players concerned. Hope no after effects.
Makes a farce of the Connacht Championship though.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

SLIGONIAN

I am skeptical no other counties are affected, Sligo is in the bottom 5 number of cases compared to others. Leitrim is the lowest yet the only 3 counties affected by covid along with Fermanagh.

I'd say a fair few cover-ups happening within county setups. Before you comment look at what the Dodgers did in the world series final game.

Privately I did say I would be surprised if they get to finish the championship. Imagine if covid had hit Mayo, Roscommon and Galway would Sligo be Connacht champions by default? It's farcical.

For me I am disappointed in part because you always think you have a chance but also know we likely avoided a hammering. I just care about the wellbeing of everyone affected tbh and their families. Wishing all a speedy recovery.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Blowitupref

Sligo GAA statement.

Sligo GAA have taken the tough decision to withdraw from this weekend's Connacht SFC semi-final versus Galway.

Paul Taylor and his management team along with the panel of 32 players have been working together since September. Due to the unforeseen circumstances of players testing positive for Covid-19 and other players deemed as close contacts, makes it impossible for Sligo to fulfil the fixture.

The county board executive along with the players and management are extremely upset at having to make this decision. The players themselves are hugely disappointed at not having the option of a re-fixture and feel the outcome has been forced on them, whilst understanding that in these unusual times it is not possible to take part this coming weekend.

All affected by Covid-19 findings are following the requisite HSE guidelines and we are glad to report doing well at this time. 

Sligo GAA have informed GAA officials at Croke Park and Connacht GAA of this regrettable but correct decision.

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

macdanger2

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on November 04, 2020, 12:12:29 AM
I'd say a fair few cover-ups happening within county setups. Before you comment look at what the Dodgers did in the world series final game.

I wouldn't say there are cover ups happening but I wouldn't be surprised if counties are choosing not to test because they don't want to know.

Disappointing for Sligo, I hope that all other counties are treated in a consistent manner. Probably not great for Galway's prep either

dublin7

Quote from: macdanger2 on November 04, 2020, 02:19:34 AM

I wouldn't say there are cover ups happening but I wouldn't be surprised if counties are choosing not to test because they don't want to know.

Disappointing for Sligo, I hope that all other counties are treated in a consistent manner. Probably not great for Galway's prep either

I'd say this is closer to the truth. If you don't test for Covid-19 you won't find it. This was always a possibility given the condensed season. When you look at the Covid situation in some counties like Cork, Donegal and Wexford it's amazing they haven't lost players

oliverkelly

I am skeptical no other counties are affected, Sligo is in the bottom 5 number of cases compared to others. Leitrim is the lowest yet the only 3 counties affected by covid along with Fermanagh.

Privately I did say I would be surprised if they get to finish the championship. Imagine if covid had hit Mayo, Roscommon and Galway would Sligo be Connacht champions by default? It's farcical.

For me I am disappointed in part because you always think you have a chance but also know we likely avoided a hammering. I just care about the wellbeing of everyone affected tbh and their families. Wishing all a speedy recovery.

What are you on about? Plenty of more counties have been effected by covid. Antrim and Offaly hurlers. Wexford had four cases on their football team and two on their hurling team. Tyrone had a confirmed case on their football team as had Donegal a bit before the league. We ourselves were down 14 players and our manager for the league game against Cavan, We missed all those for two weeks training and only had them back last Saturday.

Itchy

From what I understand, Sligo has 7 positive cases and a couple of close contacts while they await results on another group of players today. Why did they pull out before this 2nd group of players results came back? I have to say it smells to me like they took the opportunity to bail out of what they thought might be a hammering to Galway.

Sligo hurlers also conceded a game a few weeks ago, wasnt much of a word about that.

Maroon Manc

How many players did the Galway u20 have missing through Covid for an All Ireland semi, I'm fairly sure it was was at least 5?

dublin7

Quote from: oliverkelly on November 04, 2020, 08:31:11 AM

Strange how come the championship none of the big counties seem to have been effected. Wexford for example has seen a massive spike in cases in the last few weeks mainly due to the GAA, but none of their players missed the game at the weekend. Cavan has one of the worst infection rates in the country yet they haven't lost any players.

With the minimal testing in place it seems you have to be really unlucky to lose a player to Covid.

What are you on about? Plenty of more counties have been effected by covid. Antrim and Offaly hurlers. Wexford had four cases on their football team and two on their hurling team. Tyrone had a confirmed case on their football team as had Donegal a bit before the league. We ourselves were down 14 players and our manager for the league game against Cavan, We missed all those for two weeks training and only had them back last Saturday.