Lesser Supported Sports

Started by David McKeown, April 02, 2019, 03:06:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David McKeown

Had a quick check there and couldn't find an appropriate thread so started this new one for less supported sports. I'll start with one I enjoy. Bowling.

Congratulations to Chris Sloan who made the TV finals of the USBC masters this past weekend. One of the majors of the PBA bowling calendar it's a very impressive performance from the Dubliner who continues his recent excellent form which also saw him record a third place finish in the Men's world championship. I think but don't quote me that Chris might be the first Irishman to make a major finals in your history. With the return of the NI Open next month and a possible second World Cup hosting just a few years away, Irish bowling is on a real high at the minute.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

BennyCake

David McKeown

2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Eamonnca1

Isn't the Irish cricket team on a bit of a roll these days?

imtommygunn

Athletics. (While people watch the olympics it isn't followed that much). e.g. what about the hill in the world XC and how old did those junior ethiopians look would mean nothing to people.

Also the pretty radical shake up of olympic qualifying times and the reduction this will have on Irish olympians is a big topic too.

Even darts is bigger!

ziggy90

Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

Tony Baloney

Quote from: imtommygunn on April 02, 2019, 05:45:46 PM
Athletics. (While people watch the olympics it isn't followed that much). e.g. what about the hill in the world XC and how old did those junior ethiopians look would mean nothing to people.

Also the pretty radical shake up of olympic qualifying times and the reduction this will have on Irish olympians is a big topic too.

Even darts is bigger!
It used to get a lot more terrestrial tv coverage which hasn't helped combined with the fact that most people are wiser now to the fact that it's a juice-fest.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Tony Baloney on April 03, 2019, 07:55:36 AM

Even darts is bigger!
It used to get a lot more terrestrial tv coverage which hasn't helped combined with the fact that most people are wiser now to the fact that it's a juice-fest.

The fact that it is a juice fest is the huge issue. I used to love watching the Golden leagues etc when the likes of El Guerrouj, Morceli and Gabriel Selassie and before them the Brits. I always loved the middle distance runners....serious competition. It's a shame really as the whole idea of one man racing not only the opposition but also himself was fascinating

toby47

Snooker.

Looking forward to the world championship - starts 20th April.

Billys Boots

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on April 03, 2019, 08:31:12 AM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on April 03, 2019, 07:55:36 AM

Even darts is bigger!

The fact that it is a juice fest is the huge issue. I used to love watching the Golden leagues etc when the likes of El Guerrouj, Morceli and Gabriel Selassie and before them the Brits. I always loved the middle distance runners....serious competition. It's a shame really as the whole idea of one man racing not only the opposition but also himself was fascinating

I still watch athletics whenever I can; the euros indoors recently wasn't bad.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

APM

OSQ!! Obscure Sports Quarterly!! That's the place for lesser supported sports. 

AZOffaly

oakleaflad

Quote from: APM on April 03, 2019, 10:42:38 AM
ESPN 8 'The Ocho'

APM

Cotton McKnight & Pepper Brooks put Michael Lyster & Joe Brolly in the shade!

trueblue1234

Quote from: oakleaflad on April 03, 2019, 11:01:43 AM
Quote from: APM on April 03, 2019, 10:42:38 AM
ESPN 8 'The Ocho'

Is Transworld sport still on the go? Remember used to sit down and watch that on a Sat morning before the Italian football on channel 4. Used to cover some  great none main-stream sports. Maybe should have put that on the bygones thread...

Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit