Brexit.

Started by T Fearon, November 01, 2015, 06:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnycool

Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on October 31, 2019, 08:49:06 AM
Dont mind me i only came in here to read about Brexit

Brexit pales into insignificance compared to the complexities of the (North??) Armagh secondary school system.

Can someone please clarify something for me as I can't see what Boris hopes/d to achieve.

The Boris deal made it through the first vote with 30 of a majority and was due to go to the second committee level, correct?

The next vote was to railroad it through in 3 or 4 days, which he lost so would take it passed the fabled 31st of October, today?

He then pulled his deal as he couldn't get it through before the 31st.

He then reluctantly (unsigned letters and all that public schoolboy piffle) asked the EU for an extension.

He got an extension till the 31st of January but can leave before at any time.

He calls an election for the 12th of December and gets it.

Parliament will then close on Monday till the election is over.

If Boris does then get a majority as he thinks he will, does he then bring back the deal OR does he go full bore for a No Deal?

If he just brings back his original deal why did he not just let it go through the rigors of Parliament the first time round?

Smokin Joe

Good questions Jonny.

I seen it written by smart people that the fact that the WAB passed the second reading last week means that if the current parliament had stayed in place for another few months it is very likely that the WAB would have been approved

QuoteThe December general election result may be a Conservative majority, or there may be a majority for parties that support a further referendum in some form (or even straight revocation).

And for Remainers, a general election is a risk – but a risk to be set aside the near-certainty that the current House of Commons which has passed the current Withdrawal Agreement Bill in principle will eventually pass it overall.

The December election in other words is the Remainers' last chance.

That the current government even wants to give Remainers this opportunity is rather odd.
That is taken from https://davidallengreen.com/2019/10/brexit-and-the-general-election/

Given that it is possible that winning an election for Johnson is actually more important than delivering Brexit; and all the huffing and puffing he has done over the last 4 months has been about positioning himself for success in an election; not actually delivering Brexit, despite that appearing to be his objective.

screenexile

Quote from: johnnycool on October 31, 2019, 09:14:12 AM
Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on October 31, 2019, 08:49:06 AM
Dont mind me i only came in here to read about Brexit

Brexit pales into insignificance compared to the complexities of the (North??) Armagh secondary school system.

Can someone please clarify something for me as I can't see what Boris hopes/d to achieve.

The Boris deal made it through the first vote with 30 of a majority and was due to go to the second committee level, correct?

The next vote was to railroad it through in 3 or 4 days, which he lost so would take it passed the fabled 31st of October, today?

He then pulled his deal as he couldn't get it through before the 31st.

He then reluctantly (unsigned letters and all that public schoolboy piffle) asked the EU for an extension.

He got an extension till the 31st of January but can leave before at any time.

He calls an election for the 12th of December and gets it.

Parliament will then close on Monday till the election is over.

If Boris does then get a majority as he thinks he will, does he then bring back the deal OR does he go full bore for a No Deal?

If he just brings back his original deal why did he not just let it go through the rigors of Parliament the first time round?

I think he has to go with his own deal and get it through. There's every chance that we head for no deal then at the end of 2020.

He needs a General Election more than putting the deal through though as he needs a parliamentary party that will vote with him.

He can't afford to have another 20 rebels the way things have gone so better for him to try and get a majority with loyal MPs that will let him govern. Once he gets a majority in Parliament he can pretty much do what he wants which is why it's so important for them.

seafoid

https://www.ft.com/content/9119c74e-fb4e-11e9-98fd-4d6c20050229

Jeremy Corbyn to set campaign tone by targeting rich individuals Labour leader to 'go after' Duke of Westminster, Ashley, Odey, Ratcliffe and Murdoch

George Parker and Sebastian Payne in London

Jeremy Corbyn, the Labour leader, will set the tone of his election campaign on Thursday with a direct attack on "the privileged few" who benefit from a "corrupt system", naming individual millionaires whom the UK opposition party wants to target. Mr Corbyn will promise to "go after" the Duke of Westminster, the landowner, Mike Ashley, the retail billionaire, Jim Ratcliffe, chair of the Ineos chemicals group, Rupert Murdoch, the media baron, and Crispin Odey, the hedge fund boss. In his first speech of the election campaign, Mr Corbyn will put himself firmly on the side of "the many not the few", promising to shake up capitalism to help ordinary working families. "This election is a once-in-a-generation chance to transform our country, take on the vested interests holding people back and ensure that no community is left behind," he will say.
Mr Corbyn will claim that "the elite" in society does not want to pay taxes. "So they'll fight harder and dirtier than ever before," he will say. "They'll throw everything at us because they know we're not afraid to take them on." The Labour leader will then directly criticise "landlords like the Duke of Westminster", whom he claims tried to evict families to make way for luxury apartments. Recommended Labour Party UK How Labour was wrongfooted by Johnson's election call
He will attack "bad bosses like Mike Ashley, the billionaire who won't pay his staff properly and is running Newcastle United into the ground", and Mr Ratcliffe, whom he claims is "Britain's richest man who makes his money by polluting the environment". Also in Mr Corbyn's sights is Mr Odey, "who makes millions betting against our country and on other people's misery and donated huge sums to Boris Johnson and the Conservative party", and Mr Murdoch, whose "empire pumps out propaganda to support a rigged system".
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

t_mac

Quote from: hardstation on October 31, 2019, 08:36:05 AM
Quote from: t_mac on October 31, 2019, 08:27:27 AM
Quote from: hardstation on October 31, 2019, 08:17:52 AM
I know what you've written about the pupils in that school and I know it's not true.
If there are pupils in that school who don't want to learn then it would be small percentages. Why you refuse to acknowledge this is beyond me. You have said something stupid and instead of putting your hands up, you've decided to dig your heels in.

And with respect, you have more posts per day than I do.

Yip last word man, I'll say it again a vast majority don't want to learn, that's fact, maybe it's an Armagh thing that equates to a high percentage you can discuss all the semantics in the world as to what figure one equates to high but fact is and the clear fact is you know f**k all about the school, so climb back into your ivory tower, shut the door and stop making a tool out of yourself.
You are wrong. Plain and simple. It is not semantics. It is not an Armagh thing. Vast majority means almost everyone. It doesn't mean anything else. The school may be facing difficulties. I don't deny that but to say that almost every pupil in the school doesn't want to learn is nonsense.

Christ almighty.

You really are hard work - I didn't say the vast majority I said a vast majority and I am totally correct so wind you neck in, you are making a bigger ass or yourself than normal.

quit yo jibbajabba

Dont mind me i just came in to read about Brexit

HiMucker

Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on October 31, 2019, 01:06:09 PM
A vast majority of posters are disrupting this thread

square_ball

According to Fiachra McGuinness on Twitter, Sinn Fein have stopped brexit so we can probably close this thread now.

Rossfan

Could ye Nordies start ye're own Schools thread and let us get on with Brexiting?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

quit yo jibbajabba

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on October 31, 2019, 02:32:36 PM
Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on October 31, 2019, 01:06:09 PM

Feel free to contribute.  8)

Do i have to? I just said i came on to read about it... ;D

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: square_ball on October 31, 2019, 02:46:36 PM
According to Fiachra McGuinness on Twitter, Sinn Fein have stopped brexit so we can probably close this thread now.

Must be on the glue

seafoid

Newton Emerson, Irish Times

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/newton-emerson-unionists-may-allow-a-sinn-f%C3%A9in-win-to-decapitate-the-dup-1.4066942

"But the republican party is not the bogeyman it was at the last general election. Its vote has declined north and south, it could lose Derry's Foyle constituency to the SDLP and it is widely seen as a useless spectator on every issue, including a Border poll, which increasingly feels like its only, vacuous policy."

johnnycool

Quote from: seafoid on October 31, 2019, 03:32:02 PM

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/newton-emerson-unionists-may-allow-a-sinn-f%C3%A9in-win-to-decapitate-the-dup-1.4066942

"But the republican party is not the bogeyman it was at the last general election. Its vote has declined north and south, it could lose Derry's Foyle constituency to the SDLP and it is widely seen as a useless spectator on every issue, including a Border poll, which increasingly feels like its only, vacuous policy."

Sinn Fein can only promote a united Ireland and sometimes they're not good at that although even the SDLP get in on the act belatedly every once in a while.

The heavy lifting on what a United Ireland will look like will need to be done in Dublin.

t_mac

Quote from: hardstation on October 31, 2019, 02:48:00 PM
Quote from: t_mac on October 31, 2019, 12:12:22 PM
Quote from: hardstation on October 31, 2019, 08:36:05 AM
Quote from: t_mac on October 31, 2019, 08:27:27 AM
Quote from: hardstation on October 31, 2019, 08:17:52 AM
I know what you've written about the pupils in that school and I know it's not true.
If there are pupils in that school who don't want to learn then it would be small percentages. Why you refuse to acknowledge this is beyond me. You have said something stupid and instead of putting your hands up, you've decided to dig your heels in.

And with respect, you have more posts per day than I do.

Yip last word man, I'll say it again a vast majority don't want to learn, that's fact, maybe it's an Armagh thing that equates to a high percentage you can discuss all the semantics in the world as to what figure one equates to high but fact is and the clear fact is you know f**k all about the school, so climb back into your ivory tower, shut the door and stop making a tool out of yourself.
You are wrong. Plain and simple. It is not semantics. It is not an Armagh thing. Vast majority means almost everyone. It doesn't mean anything else. The school may be facing difficulties. I don't deny that but to say that almost every pupil in the school doesn't want to learn is nonsense.

Christ almighty.

You really are hard work - I didn't say the vast majority I said a vast majority and I am totally correct so wind you neck in, you are making a bigger ass or yourself than normal.
Look I'm out. There is no fixing stupid.
Good luck to you Sir.

Don't let the door or the drawbridge from your ivory tower hit you on the way out, next time you try to talk shite be armed with the odd fact.

seafoid

Quote from: johnnycool on October 31, 2019, 04:20:22 PM
Quote from: seafoid on October 31, 2019, 03:32:02 PM

Sinn Fein can only promote a united Ireland and sometimes they're not good at that although even the SDLP get in on the act belatedly every once in a while.

The heavy lifting on what a United Ireland will look like will need to be done in Dublin.
It's going to need a lot of planning because it's not going to be possible to arse it up
The day that the 6 counties in the North East rejoin the rest will be a very special day.