Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on August 05, 2020, 06:51:06 PM
HS would know better. i think they are twinbrook? Not aware of underage structures but don't know the belfast underage scene that well.

Poleglass, no real tradition in that relatively young 'Belfast' outskirts...

Haven't ref'd Mitchels in years and can't remember the last juvenile game either, been a while..

Always said there are too many clubs in Belfast, but I get tradition and members and families wanting to keep it going..
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

Are they not a club that have been going years? Gilly mcilhatton is Mitchells isn't he?

[edit] they're going from 1899.

Belfast GAA man

Quote from: imtommygunn on August 05, 2020, 07:49:37 PM
Are they not a club that have been going years? Gilly mcilhatton is Mitchells isn't he?

[edit] they're going from 1899.
Yes oldest club in Belfast - if Gaelfast get off holiday soon they should meet up with them and see what can be done at juveniLe level - have to admire their character in keeping going . there has been rightly big fuss about Greencastle reforming so County/Gaelfast should make same uss over Mitchels

imtommygunn

Quote from: hardstation on August 05, 2020, 08:21:15 PM
They got a pitch out in Poleglass maybe 15 years ago or so but I'm not sure they ever used it much. I don't know where their traditional base was but a load of boys from Andytown would have played for them in the 70s & 80s. Has been kept going almost single-handedly by Gilly this last 30 years.

I mind playing on it 15-20 years ago. Some boy was shooting a BB gun at players on the field as we were playing. We weren't sorry we never ended up going back there lol.

BigBallWeeBall

Quote from: imtommygunn on August 05, 2020, 09:14:59 PM
They got a pitch out in Poleglass maybe 15 years ago or so but I'm not sure they ever used it much. I don't know where their traditional base was but a load of boys from Andytown would have played for them in the 70s & 80s. Has been kept going almost single-handedly by Gilly this last 30 years.

I mind playing on it 15-20 years ago. Some boy was shooting a BB gun at players on the field as we were playing. We weren't sorry we never ended up going back there lol.
.  Oldest club in existence in Antrim

John Mitchel's – 1900
John Mitchel's club was formed in the New Lodge Rd area in 1900 and are the oldest team in Antrim. The club moved to the Falls Rd district in 1906. Their headquarters were held in a large military hut on the Willowbank Ground at Broadway. They rejoined the South Antrim Leagues in 1907 as a Football and Hurling club. They were previously only a Hurling Club. The Club went out of existence during the turbulent period of the 1920's, but reformed in 1930 and in 1935 won the South Antrim Junior Hurling Championship.Mitchel's have won many trophies, too numerous to list

marty34

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 05, 2020, 07:08:43 PM
HS would know better. i think they are twinbrook? Not aware of underage structures but don't know the belfast underage scene that well.

Haven't ref'd Mitchels in years and can't remember the last juvenile game either, been a while..

Always said there are too many clubs in Belfast, but I get tradition and members and families wanting to keep it going..

How many clubs are there in Belfast?

Jeepers Creepers

Quote from: marty34 on August 05, 2020, 10:55:56 PM

Lagmore gaels
Mitchels
St Pauls
Sarsfields
Rossa
Lamh Dhearg
St Teresas
Gort Na Mona
St Johns
O 'Ds
St Galls
Davits
Laochra Loch lao
St Endas
Pearses
Ardoyne
East Belfast
Eire og
St Aggies
St Brides

Anyone else?

Milltown Row2

I can go back to when I was 18 and playing on that pitch in Poleglass! That's not 15 years ago unfortunately
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

paddyjohn

Quote from: Jeepers Creepers on August 05, 2020, 11:10:31 PM
Quote from: marty34 on August 05, 2020, 10:55:56 PM

Lagmore gaels
Mitchels
St Pauls
Sarsfields
Rossa
Lamh Dhearg
St Teresas
Gort Na Mona
St Johns
O 'Ds
St Galls
Davits
Laochra Loch lao
St Endas
Pearses
Ardoyne
East Belfast
Eire og
St Aggies
St Brides

Anyone else?

St Endas are SW...  ;)

BrendanAntrim

And St Brides is a primary school

Milltown Row2

Nearly as many clubs in Belfast as there are in the county!

Milltown Row2

BigBallWeeBall

St Malachys
Carryduff
Also Dwyers and McDermotts both folded

Milltown Row2

Quote from: hardstation on August 06, 2020, 09:12:25 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 05, 2020, 11:12:36 PM

I can go back to when I was 18 and playing on that pitch in Poleglass! That's not 15 years ago unfortunately
Did Mitchell's own it then? I remember them sort of celebrating getting the pitch. Maybe it just got done up.

Well it was Mitchels that played on it, was a div 2 senior hurling game, we were short on a team and I can remember that both managers played, they were both in their 60's  ;D

Not sure where they played previously to that, I'd assume the falls park

BigBallWeeBall

Well it was Mitchels that played on it, was a div 2 senior hurling game, we were short on a team and I can remember that both managers played, they were both in their 60's  ;D

Not sure where they played previously to that, I'd assume the falls park
[/quote]
60 Yr old players.
That's worse than St Paul's DADS ARMY from last week reserve game.  I'd be afraid of a herat attack