Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Usain

Quote from: hurlingstick on August 21, 2017, 01:57:10 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 21, 2017, 01:41:01 PM
Its horrible at juvenile level, I took our 12's for 4 years and I know what its like, kids are hanging on your coat tails looking games following you around and you're trying to win the match, plus you've the parents down and they are sorta huffing too.. Me personally I never really had that problem as I generally had just about a team every week! But it doesn't change at senior lol!! feckers still gurning at me for not putting them on!

Some of the lads really pushed on and have been county players some drifted off altogether... Country teams have it harder as in playing for the parish and I wouldn't be one for telling you to move him to a neighbouring parish as that brings a shit storm again, but losing out on the game that he loves is also pish!

Ive ref'd a few tournaments lately were subs were mandatory you couldn't start a second half without putting on your subs... why not bring this into play at under 12 and under 14

This is a good debate. To be honest most clubs I've seen nowadays are trying hard in a variety of ways to get all kids on the pitch. As you say different clubs have different problems with regards this issue.

I'm just of the opinion that at the younger juvenile levels all kids should get game time and never worry about a stupid trophy. It's very short sighted to win at the cost of losing a few kids possibly.

Good debate here. I am involved wit a couple of underage teams in my club. The debate we always have is at what point do ya start to windback the 'everyone plays' policy and start really putting out the strongest team ya have.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Usain on August 22, 2017, 10:17:52 AM
Its horrible at juvenile level, I took our 12's for 4 years and I know what its like, kids are hanging on your coat tails looking games following you around and you're trying to win the match, plus you've the parents down and they are sorta huffing too.. Me personally I never really had that problem as I generally had just about a team every week! But it doesn't change at senior lol!! feckers still gurning at me for not putting them on!

Some of the lads really pushed on and have been county players some drifted off altogether... Country teams have it harder as in playing for the parish and I wouldn't be one for telling you to move him to a neighbouring parish as that brings a shit storm again, but losing out on the game that he loves is also pish!

Ive ref'd a few tournaments lately were subs were mandatory you couldn't start a second half without putting on your subs... why not bring this into play at under 12 and under 14

This is a good debate. To be honest most clubs I've seen nowadays are trying hard in a variety of ways to get all kids on the pitch. As you say different clubs have different problems with regards this issue.

I'm just of the opinion that at the younger juvenile levels all kids should get game time and never worry about a stupid trophy. It's very short sighted to win at the cost of losing a few kids possibly.

Good debate here. I am involved wit a couple of underage teams in my club. The debate we always have is at what point do ya start to windback the 'everyone plays' policy and start really putting out the strongest team ya have.

Championship? anything else should be for all the players in the squad
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Usain

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 22, 2017, 11:46:17 AM

I would agree with that. Few other neighbouring coaches I would speak to would look at it in terms of age groups. Say U12 everyone plays, U14 start to be more selective. Dangerous road to go down and will lead to big dropout numbers.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Usain on August 22, 2017, 12:09:07 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 22, 2017, 11:46:17 AM

I would agree with that. Few other neighbouring coaches I would speak to would look at it in terms of age groups. Say U12 everyone plays, U14 start to be more selective. Dangerous road to go down and will lead to big dropout numbers.

But there are loads of tournaments nowadays compared to when I was that age, plenty of opportunities for coaches to play everyone, bring 2 teams if needs be
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

THINGSTHATNEEDSAID

Quote from: hurlingstick on August 21, 2017, 06:41:38 PM
Dunloy have improved a fair bit this season and St John's are just ok so I could see Dunloy winning with a bit to spare. Rossa v Ballycastle is probably going to be the tie of the round. With Ciaran Clarke and Saul McCaughan up front you've always a chance even with lots missing. Sarsfields also play St. Galls this weekend and that could go either way.
can Saul Mc Caughan hurl for the town?   Wasn't he in San Fran hurling for the summer?? or did he walk away (as usual)  after being looked after all summer??  :o

THINGSTHATNEEDSAID

Quote from: breakingball on August 21, 2017, 06:13:38 PM
Quote from: ciaran1988 on August 21, 2017, 03:58:09 PM
Championship Weekend coming up now what's everyone's predictions

Senior
Ballycastle v Rossa - I'll go Ballycastle by 5
Loughgiel v Creggan - Loughgiel by 15+
Dunloy v St Johns - Dunloy by 8
Cloughmills v Cushendall - Cushendall by 15+

Intermediate
Tir Na Og v Carey - Carey by 2

Junior
Gort Na Mona v St Paul's - Gort by 3
Glenarm v Glenravel - Glenarm by 6

I expect something very similar
Rossa by whatever they want.   ballycastle couldn't win an argument and the players attitudes are nothing short of a disgrace to that once great club. 

loughgiel by 10+
St. john +1
C dall +15

Carey +3
Gort + 5
glenravel +1
again.   ballycastle and some of there players should be ashamed of themselves!!!!!!    wonder will they give Saul a few more £ to play this weekend.  :-\

Hurlingballs

Saul can't play championship as he played in New York! Can only play in the league as far as I am aware.

theskull1

Principles and values that you'd want to apply have to slip if you've only been able to convince half the team to attend training on a regular basis, but in an ideal world I think there comes a point where you do a Paddy Guinness and put the power in each individuals hand. Between 16 and 18 for me
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Glentaisie

Quote from: Hurlingballs on August 23, 2017, 12:38:40 AM
Saul can't play championship as he played in New York! Can only play in the league as far as I am aware.

Don't know about that.  Might depend on whether he transferred or was on a J1.  I'm assuming it was a J1 as there'd be restrictions about transferring back and forth in the same year. The rules on J1s\sanctions are a bit complicated but I don't think there's any distinction made about playing league or championship.  Completely open to correction!

And so:
Senior
Ballycastle v Rossa -         Ballycastle by 7
Loughgiel v Creggan -       Loughgiel by 15+
Dunloy v St Johns -           Dunloy by 5
Cloughmills v Cushendall - Cushendall by 15+

Glentaisie

Quote from: THINGSTHATNEEDSAID on August 22, 2017, 11:45:32 PM

can Saul Mc Caughan hurl for the town?   Wasn't he in San Fran hurling for the summer?? or did he walk away (as usual)  after being looked after all summer??  :o

Quotewonder will they give Saul a few more £ to play this weekend

You seem to have it in for Saul.  I've never heard of him being paid to play for Ballycastle and think that is just bullshit.
I'd concede that sometimes his commitment to training etc isn't the greatest but he's a brilliant hurler and when he goes out to play a game he gives it everything.  He's only a young lad still 21? ish so plenty time for him to develop.

Hurlingballs

I believe he went on a full transfer! He played over there therefore was still able to play league here but not able to play championship. I could be wrong but that is my understanding of it

Na Glinntí Glasa

hes eligible to play for BC
hurl like f**k boi!

THINGSTHATNEEDSAID

am hearing is eligible to play now myself.  he walked away from whoever he was playing with after being flew out and looked after. him and his girlfriend no less  :o

the big men in cloaks that run the show behind the scenes for us ( getting managers fired and loosing games to get lads removed and so on) got the young lad a few £ to come home from the states early.  now am hearing he won't field for them as he's a soccer game    ???    what's wrong with young lads now a days!!!!    boys a boys!!!!

THINGSTHATNEEDSAID

i said US above  ::).  i mean them, am a free lancer.  ran from my own club by the big cloaks

north_antrim_hound

Heard that this morning myself
He is eligible to play alright but won't be starting due not attending training because of soccer
He's a lost cause in hurling for club and county
Pity he's a class act
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets