all ireland football qualifiers 2017.

Started by cornetto, April 19, 2017, 07:35:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

Quote from: omagh_gael on July 10, 2017, 11:35:27 AM
Quote from: cicfada on July 10, 2017, 09:35:07 AM
The picture is becoming a lot clearer now. A lot of assumptions here but let's say that Tipp beat Armagh and mon beat Carlow . Then mon and Tipp play Down and Kildare. So then let's say that mon beat Kildare and Tipp beat Down. Therefore you'd have Mayo, Donegal, Tipp and Mon playing Dublin, Ros, Kerry and Tyrone. Isn't that nearly what the last 8 teams would be expected  to have been anyway?

Assuming the games go the way you're saying you could narrow the QF pairings down further to:

Donegal or Mayo v Kerry or Roscommon

Monaghan or Tipp v Tyrone or Dublin
I think you're a biteen mixed up there.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

tippabu

Quote from: Rossfan on July 10, 2017, 12:28:53 PM
The picture is becoming a lot clearer now. A lot of assumptions here but let's say that Tipp beat Armagh and mon beat Carlow . Then mon and Tipp play Down and Kildare. So then let's say that mon beat Kildare and Tipp beat Down. Therefore you'd have Mayo, Donegal, Tipp and Mon playing Dublin, Ros, Kerry and Tyrone. Isn't that nearly what the last 8 teams would be expected  to have been anyway?

Assuming the games go the way you're saying you could narrow the QF pairings down further to:

No he's right if them teams were to win their games

omagh_gael

Quote from: tippabu on July 10, 2017, 12:31:57 PM

Donegal and Mayo's side of the draw were always destined to meet the Connaught or Munster champions. Likewise the Monaghan/Tipp/Armagh side were facing the Ulster/Leinster Champs.

OgraAnDun

Taylor

Both games on Sky this Saturday.

Be interesting to see how much Monaghan have improved. Still think they will have a major say this year

Il Bomber Destro

Mayo should progress past Cork without much bother in the next round. I think they turned a corner on Saturday and their second half performance was very impressive given they looked in a bit of bother.

They should be hoping for Kerry in the quarters after. Provincial Champions can often be caught cold in this round, Kerry will be 4 weeks or so without a game and Mayo will have that sharpness and momentum built up from coming through the qualifiers. I think Mayo playing Kerry in the quarter finals as opposed the semis gives them a much better chance. They still haven't beaten Dublin under Gavin or Kerry under Fitzmaurice yet in Championship football so it would be an intriguing matchup.

Donegal are stuttering along at the minute, I don't know whether it's devoid of confidence they are and the performances are a result of that or whether they're deep in the middle of transition and that's the level they are at. I guess the game against Galway will tell us more, getting through a tight affair like they did in Meath at the weekend might give them the shot in the arm but so far they have been really unimpressive.

Taylor

Donegal actually remind me of Roscommon last year. Flying in the league but found out in the cship as other teams fitness increased.

Rossfan

Quote from: tippabu on July 10, 2017, 12:31:57 PM

Yep ... see it now. I read it first as the winner of game between Kerry/ Ros which hopefully will be the All Ireland Semi.
I expect Mayowestros to beat Cork and the other one depends how Galway react to yesterday.
Donegal and Rhubarbs victories means there will be a draw for the Qtr Final pairings.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

J70

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on July 10, 2017, 02:25:01 PM
Mayo should progress past Cork without much bother in the next round. I think they turned a corner on Saturday and their second half performance was very impressive given they looked in a bit of bother.

They should be hoping for Kerry in the quarters after. Provincial Champions can often be caught cold in this round, Kerry will be 4 weeks or so without a game and Mayo will have that sharpness and momentum built up from coming through the qualifiers. I think Mayo playing Kerry in the quarter finals as opposed the semis gives them a much better chance. They still haven't beaten Dublin under Gavin or Kerry under Fitzmaurice yet in Championship football so it would be an intriguing matchup.

Donegal are stuttering along at the minute, I don't know whether it's devoid of confidence they are and the performances are a result of that or whether they're deep in the middle of transition and that's the level they are at. I guess the game against Galway will tell us more, getting through a tight affair like they did in Meath at the weekend might give them the shot in the arm but so far they have been really unimpressive.

We are stuttering all right, but its going to take a team half filled with new, inexperienced players a while to get used to senior championship football.

Ciaran Thompson was superb in the league, hitting some outrageous score, but the return of McBrearty has probably robbed him of some of the shooting opportunities that he was so impressively taking back then. Result is he doesn't catch the eye quite as much.

McBrearty has been having arguably his most impressive season yet as a Donegal player (still only 23!) and should be heading for an All Star nomination if he keeps it up and we reach the quarters. Only man apart from McGinley that really performed against Tyrone. Perhaps the spring lay-off benefited him.

Ryan McHugh returned to some form against Meath, while Murphy was man of the match again. Eventually, we'll be found out again as a team, but it would be nice if we could beat Galway and make another quarter final to build a bit of confidence for the future.

armaghniac

All-Ireland SFC Round 3B qualifiers
Tipperary v Armagh, Semple Stadium, Saturday, 5pm
Carlow v Monaghan, Netwatch Cullen Park, Saturday, 7pm

All-Ireland SFC Round 4A qualifiers
Cork v Mayo, Gaelic Grounds, Limerick, Saturday 22, July, TBC
Galway v Donegal, Markievicz Park, Saturday 22 July, TBC
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

An Fhairche Abu

Apparently the times are:

Cork v Mayo - 5pm
Galway v Donegal - 7pm

I'd say there won't much of a Galway crowd (even by our standards) in Sligo, the few league die hards and not much else.

ranch

Should both Monaghan and Armagh win this Saturday and Down lose on Sunday, then it's obviously unavoidable that there will be a repeat pairing from the Ulster Championship. In that scenario would Down be guaranteed a home game in round 4, or does round 4 have to be in a neutral venue?

straightred

Quote from: ranch on July 10, 2017, 06:23:39 PM
Should both Monaghan and Armagh win this Saturday and Down lose on Sunday, then it's obviously unavoidable that there will be a repeat pairing from the Ulster Championship. In that scenario would Down be guaranteed a home game in round 4, or does round 4 have to be in a neutral venue?

i would have thought neutral regardless of whether or not they played before.

tippabu

Quote from: straightred on July 10, 2017, 06:46:18 PM
Quote from: ranch on July 10, 2017, 06:23:39 PM

i would have thought neutral regardless of whether or not they played before.

Yes round 4 is neutral, just like mayo v cork and donegal v galway games