First switch should be the goalkeeper
No where near good enough
Far to slow getting his kickouts away

O Kane Kilcoo keeper
McGarry CPN
Savage BFORD
Loughran BALLYHOLLAND
SMYTH Mayobridge

I see Savage came on today.. still not a county player in my eyes...

Very very poor today. Cohesion, kickouts, team play etc have all been talked about on here - but their basics of the game are fierce poor.. we don't tackle to dispossess we run along side men n pull n drag n concede free kicks galore.. catching, kicking, fist passing, pickups - breaks my heart watching them plus we look heavy.. bar Mooney and Kerr who have blistering pace all other players look heavy set.  Might work for January/February league football with heavy pitches but not this time of year.. Michael Murphy injured hamstring today could help us to keep score down v Donegal.. I fear this match..

grounded

Quote from: snoopdog on May 23, 2021, 04:57:53 PM
Quote from: grounded on May 23, 2021, 01:45:43 PM
Fingers crossed for this evening. There is not a whole pile of difference between the 2 teams. So could go either way. Just hoping for a better performance than last week.

Theres a massive difference on the scoreboard.

Yep, i never thought we are that bad. Things are bleak

Smurfy123

Down looked very heavy legged today.
Compared to Cavan last year where we had pace everywhere in the team
Still all the play for in a one off match against one of the other teams in south

johnnycool

Even the Sunday Game match commentator passing a snidey comment at the end as to how poor Down were..

With 40 odd clubs and the vast majority of the CB's resources behind football, it's really poor stuff all the same.

Hope someone grabs the nettle and shakes these development squads up as evidently Down aren't producing the right types of footballers.

upandwin

Let's not pretend that the best players are playing in the county...I guarantee you could pick 15 lads about the county to beat this Down team. The management have to take some responsibility because I think the style of football has been so negative, but they'll argue that's because they're not working with the best talent either...so it's a chicken and egg scenario.

I think over the last ten years or so, our mantra has been to 'not lose the game' rather than try and win it. Poor stuff, yesterday was no surprise other than I thought it would've been more of a drubbing. Tough division this year no doubt and I for one thought this experience would do the lads good but it seems to be having the total opposite effect.

IMO the most obvious position that needs addressed is at N0.1. Several Keepers that spring to mind, not sure if anyone else was asked or not but seems to be a massive area for improvement. That being said, the current lads have had zero help with no kick out plan or movement even to give them support.

Can anyone here explain why the obvious Kilcoo contingent aren't available...ever? IMO Niall Kane, Eugene, Daryl and Aaron Brannigan would be a massive help to the cause and I'd probably have Donach McAleenan in there from CPN...think he's a class player too. Is Steven Fegan involved from Burren? He's another fine player but riddled with injuries so maybe not available. Heard a few very strange names mentioned for call ups to the squad over the last month or so which seem questionable...won't mention the names as I'd rather not sledge people on here but is there no1 else people can think of for a call up to add some experience and something a bit different to what we have?

Mourne Red

I think there is too much focus on tactics etc at underage making players more robotic and also sapping enjoyment out of the game for youngsters.

I'm not saying take competitive edge out of Gaelic but replace these tactics training parts etc and teach basics to players.. Right foot, left foot, catching, hand passing. Backs v Forwards, coaching the block.

Also put competitiveness back into the game and a younger age,, no more participation medals etc these youngsters are playing FIFA/Call of Duty and play to win with them so bring this back into underage, will drive youngsters on to put practice into there football skills and less practicing their Fortnite/gaming skills.

If we can get underage right and not have a 10 person management team who all have their own ideas and telling players different things we'll be back at ulsters top table. Also a permanent coaching officer at our big Gaelic schools would be a good option. Newry, Downpatrick and Castlewellan biggest catchment of players from clubs.

snoopdog

We thought we had a great minor team last year and against fermanagh they looked like they were holding back. Werent allowed to do what comes naturally. Just play football and sure if that takes us nowhere at least it's better than trying to play defensively and still get hammered.

wobbller

Paddy Tally having a good rant about where Down are going wrong.Nothing to do with him of course.

Smurfy123

Yes wobbler not a great interview
Blaming the players for not committing
As the famous Kilcoo player said why go to the county when the club training is better
The question has to be asked
Have Down improved any under tally?

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: upandwin on May 24, 2021, 10:01:24 AM
IMO the most obvious position that needs addressed is at N0.1. Several Keepers that spring to mind, not sure if anyone else was asked or not but seems to be a massive area for improvement. That being said, the current lads have had zero help with no kick out plan or movement even to give them support.

Retaining the kick outs has very little to do with the goalie if the players out the field aren't cooperating with him.

As I was always told back in the day - it takes two to make a pass.

Frequently the goalie is hung out to dry with a load of statues in the middle third of the pitch showing nothing for him to hit.

Even the art of the break ball looks like its ignored. Statistically, probably ~90% of broken ball is either straight back where it came from, or goes all the way through the crowd to where it was going anyway. Do we teach players in timing their run to hit the front or back of the pod as the ball would arrive at either? Do we fuk.
i usse an speelchekor

thewobbler

There's so many things wrong with Down county football.

Breaking ball is the most obvious one. I can't help feeling it's what happens when players are too programmed and fearful of not making mistakes that they lose their instincts. Which is most galling for the most talented. For all Dublin's trillion advantages, they never tried to take the spark out of McCaffrey, Fenton, O'Callaghan, MacAuley, Connolly, Mannion. Nor did they try to tame the edges of McMahon, Small or Cooper. Being conditioned to within an inch is a prerequisite. Working hard off the ball is a prerequisite. Getting them to play safe and mind their own shop only? Never. There was always half a dozen men to do that around them.

But re the Kilcoo complaints, to be honest it's a valid point - but I think the optics are inside out. The reason why playing for Kilcoo is a more attractive option for their players is simple enough: there's reward almost every season, and signs of progression almost every season. And the main reason for this is because all the other clubs in the county have allowed this to happen. If a talented, competitive  26 year old from Kilcoo had genuine fear that his club championship season might end before it starts (as it does for players from Dungannon, Clonoe, Errigal, Carrickmore etc), then he'd surely be more likely to keep his options for success/glory/recognition more open. But as it stands they all know they're likely coasting into Ulster, where they can achieve serious, high level goals.

Basically, what I'm saying, is that it's the other clubs' faults (including Ballyholland) that this situation has arisen. Not Kilcoo's. We all need to stand up and be counted. Point fingers when we've done our bit.

Johnnysboys

Fiercely physical and competitive game last night between Clonduff and Burren.. Burren edged it in the end but Clonduff have some big physical powerhouses at their disposal.. This competition was to be county player free and yet McGovern and McKernan both featured for Burren.. What's that about???

befair

Down looking good so far; should be further ahead. Mooney and Kerr looking dangerous every time they get the ball

befair

Lucky we haven't blown it; our goal has a charmed existence.

Nanderson

Very lucky today. For all the stick Bubba gets over his kickouts, he pulled us out of a hole there and whoever it was that took the ball off the line. Down always seem to retreat into their shell when things start going against them instead of pushing on and trying to nab a score or 2 to swing the momentum. Glad we got the win. I'd fancy our chances better against Laois rather than Cork