The Official UFC Thread

Started by RONAN, February 05, 2008, 11:01:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DirtyDozen12

Watching a bit of UFC 84 at the moment and too be honest this hybrid sport if you like in my opinion is nowhere near as entertaining as a good boxing match.  I dont think the MMA or UFC will ever better boxing.  I find it pretty hard to watch, that meaning it can get become pretty gruesome viewing.  I seen one match where a guy tried to take another guy down but landed on his head when they fell and knocked himself out cold.  He was lying on the ground and the other guy on top of him threw the fist right into his jaw while he was unconscious!!  I dont much difference between MMA/UFC or whatever you call it and this brutal street fight, they are nearly bred out of the one........

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=kuaexTfEwZs&feature=related
Beer, now there's a temporary solution!!!

The Iceman

Quote from: JimStynes on May 26, 2008, 02:00:15 PM
Isnt there a place in lurgan that trains mma fighters. I think its based down in the clans gym.

Anybody watch the ultimate fighter series, unreal. The best year was the one with Ken Shamrock and Tito Ortiz. They near came to blows at every training session. Them 2 fellas hated each other.

Place in Lurgan is in the clans gm - trained there a few times - guy who was running it then (3 years ago) was John Fox - big guy who bounced at the time in the ashburn.  Good spot.  If you are really serious into training and you live in the north  - look into either Chum Sut in Lisburn (tom Lamont) or the EFR gym with Davey Patterson in Randelstown and now in Belfast I think.

Actually going to see Kimbo slice fight this weekend in the Rock in Newark.  I have not been impressed by him so far and don't think he has what it takes to go to the top in any of the bigger promotions.  He is training now under Bas Rutten so he has to improve - but he is nothing more than a cash cow for Elite who are milking him for all the tickets they can.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

pebble-dasher

training times for davy pattersons efr can be found on www.fighttalk.co.uk

they train at shanes castle between antrim and randalstown,

I think its phonemonal the fitness levels, flexability and explosive strength the fighters in the real UFC have.  The Ultimate fighter series were brilliant,that was deadly when tito ortiz and ken shamrock were the coaches, that series and the liddell and couture one were by far the best. 
Favourite ufc fighter would be liddell simply because he can pack a good punch!

the colonel

watched ufc 84 the other nite,

do you think the ref should have stopped bj penn fight? thought that if he had got the round break he might have been ok,

to be fair to silva, he said it was gonna be a quick fight
the difference between success and failure is energy

The Iceman

definitely think the ref was right to stop the fight - sherk was finished  - he knew it, BJ knew and the ref knew it.

Silva did exactly what he had to do, he did what houston alexander did to Jardine - rushed him early, bombarded him with punches and watched the Dean of Mean fall

UFC 84 was a great card - watched it live online over here and was very impressed with some of the new guys
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Gabriel_Hurl

So it looks like Randy is back in the UFC - press conference scheduled in 2 hours.

His opponent is rumoured to be Brock Lesnar

Puckoon

That is big news - seemed like there would be no reconciliation between him and Dana White.

The Iceman

talking about a fight with Lesnar - if he wins that they will bring in Fedor or he has a unification fight with the winner of Mir/ Noguiera

great to see as the HW division was getting boring

Couture is a living legend and I hope he can cope with Lesnar's size and power - if so it will set up the fight everyone wants to see before it is too late - Fedor and Randy!

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: The Iceman on September 02, 2008, 06:41:55 PM
talking about a fight with Lesnar - if he wins that they will bring in Fedor or he has a unification fight with the winner of Mir/ Noguiera

great to see as the HW division was getting boring

Couture is a living legend and I hope he can cope with Lesnar's size and power - if so it will set up the fight everyone wants to see before it is too late - Fedor and Randy!

Saw Couture after he watched Fedor destroy Sylvia. He didn't even sound too keen on taking on Fedor when interviewed afterwards. Think Fedor would be too much for him at this stage.

Medic

is that tim slyvia of the ufc? didn't know fedor has already fought in the ufc ??? and has randy rejoined the ufc?? i much prefer pride but they don't have many good fighters left now. fedor is the best pound for pound mma fighter!!!
All Things Dr. Karl Raymond Marx Kennedy  - https://allthingsdockarlkennedy-blog.tumblr.com/

Gabriel_Hurl

Tim Sylvia fights for Affliction / M-1 and Fedor fights for Affliction / M-1. They had a fight a few months ago for the WAMMA Heavyweight title which Fedor killed Tim in like 40 seconds. Andrei Arlovski fights for that company as well

Randy has returned to UFC - as of yesterday

UFC bought Pride last year - then the old PRIDE employees joined up with the guys who owned K-1 to form a new MMA company called DREAM

The Iceman

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on September 03, 2008, 01:21:47 PM
Tim Sylvia fights for Affliction / M-1 and Fedor fights for Affliction / M-1. They had a fight a few months ago for the WAMMA Heavyweight title which Fedor killed Tim in like 40 seconds. Andrei Arlovski fights for that company as well

Randy has returned to UFC - as of yesterday

UFC bought Pride last year - then the old PRIDE employees joined up with the guys who owned K-1 to form a new MMA company called DREAM

I can't see any of them making any inroads in the market.  The UFC seems to have it tied up and with Randy back hopefully he can help create a fighters union or coalition to make sure these guys are paid what they are worth.

Affliction had a great card but their next card is all the same fighters fighting each other again.  Not sure that will go down that well with the PPV paying fans.
UFC is where its all happening.

Medic

so tim sylvia fights for affliction/m-1 & ufc whereas fedor only fights for affliction/m-1. that's a tad confusing :D hopefully he'll join the ufc soon!!

i bet no one would dare to face fedor except perhaps brock lesnar??
All Things Dr. Karl Raymond Marx Kennedy  - https://allthingsdockarlkennedy-blog.tumblr.com/

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote from: Medic on September 04, 2008, 12:51:25 AM
so tim sylvia fights for affliction/m-1 & ufc

he doesn't fight for UFC anymore

The Iceman

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on September 04, 2008, 01:44:52 PM
Quote from: Medic on September 04, 2008, 12:51:25 AM
so tim sylvia fights for affliction/m-1 & ufc

he doesn't fight for UFC anymore

thank God! he was useless! he belongs in Elite XC with Kimbo slice