Hurling Championship 2019

Started by seafoid, May 08, 2019, 04:35:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on August 18, 2019, 04:46:08 PM
Watching this, I could say Limerick still the best team in the country. Always hard to take All-Ireland Champions that are not undefeated

Limerick were beaten 3 times this year.

marty34

Corner back should have got red for whack across Hogan's head before that. Not even a yellow. Inconsistent referee.

He wasn't even sure Hogan's one was a red so don't know how he gave him red.

dublin7

Quote from: marty34 on August 18, 2019, 07:27:34 PM
Corner back should have got red for whack across Hogan's head before that. Not even a yellow. Inconsistent referee.

He wasn't even sure Hogan's one was a red so don't know how he gave him red.

To me it was a straight red card all day long for Hogan and I can't see what all the  controversy is over. He was running past him and clearly lifts his elbow to hit the Tipp player. He might argue he didn't mean it, but an elbow to the head is a red card in any sport. Just because it's an All Ireland final a player shouldn't be immune to a red card.

I think they also need to bring in the black card for hurling. As soon as corner forwards catches the ball they being pulled down by defenders to stop them going for goal. Really noticeable this year

Wildweasel74

The defenders pulling them lads down repeatedly and arent on even given a yellows for continously and fouling

north_antrim_hound

Hats off to the referee today for making a very brave and necessary call. He knew his decision would probably ruin the game but he's there to enforce rules that are there  to protect the players. The ref didn't ruin the game today the offending player did. He made a bad call prior by not awarding the penalty and made mistakes like most of them do but hogan had to walk. Maybe some younger players watching will think there isn't double standards just because it's an all Ireland final now
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

seafoid

Hogan mistimed his lunge. Stupid

It was a funny championship. Someone had to win it. Limerick destroyed Tipp in June.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ShaneSaint/status/1145346439519846401

If Lee Chin hadn't missed a straight forward free KK would have been out at the round robin stage . Then Wexford ran out of mojo and KK ambushed Limerick .

Glad to see Tipp prevailing .

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

seafoid

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 18, 2019, 06:41:09 PM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on August 18, 2019, 04:46:08 PM
Watching this, I could say Limerick still the best team in the country. Always hard to take All-Ireland Champions that are not undefeated

Limerick were beaten 3 times this year.
At least the hurling is competitive

5 different winners since 2013

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Itchy

I don't pretend to be a hurling man but is that not a straight forward red card in any sport? I can't understand the debate on it.

Minder

Quote from: Itchy on August 18, 2019, 08:37:49 PM
I don't pretend to be a hurling man but is that not a straight forward red card in any sport? I can't understand the debate on it.

Yeah it was a red and Michael Duignans "but sure it's a final" is nonsense
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

From the Bunker

Quote from: Minder on August 18, 2019, 08:38:43 PM

Yeah it was a red and Michael Duignans "but sure it's a final" is nonsense

+1

manfromdelmonte

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: David McKeown on August 18, 2019, 06:28:21 PM
The problem I had with that match was the referee once he give the free for the bust nose and spoke to the defender. By doing that he showed he had deemed it either deliberate or reckless and in either scenario it is a sending off. So by doing that what he did he has implicitly said to the players. This is an All Ireland final I am going to be lenient in my application of the rules. Tipperary clearly responded to that and their 'comeback' came as they upped the physicality after that decision.

Hogan then goes to do the player with a shoulder. The player steps back and Hogan instinctively tries to react to that and catches him in the head with the area between his shoulder and elbow. The charging in made it at least reckless but still far less dangerous than what had happened to him.

At this point the referee decides to hell with my earlier decision I am now going to apply the rules to a and send this player off. The game was over after that.

Yes Kilkenny should have adjusted tactically but they were now a forward down and they had got their early success from the feracious work rate of their forwards. Trying to do that a man down was never going to work against a team who can properly employ a sweeper.

To add to the frustration RTE were continually telling us that any contact to the head was to be a red card. Ignoring the fact that on at least two occasions it wasn't. I'm just frustrated because a potentially great game was ruined by inconsistent application of the rules. Taken in isolation the Hogan tackle was a red card and a stupid one at that but moments in games aren't taken in isolation.
The rule is, 'Deliberate high challenge'

trailer

Stonewall red. Anyone arguing otherwise is embarrassing themselves.

David McKeown

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on August 18, 2019, 09:08:47 PM
Quote from: David McKeown on August 18, 2019, 06:28:21 PM
The problem I had with that match was the referee once he give the free for the bust nose and spoke to the defender. By doing that he showed he had deemed it either deliberate or reckless and in either scenario it is a sending off. So by doing that what he did he has implicitly said to the players. This is an All Ireland final I am going to be lenient in my application of the rules. Tipperary clearly responded to that and their 'comeback' came as they upped the physicality after that decision.

Hogan then goes to do the player with a shoulder. The player steps back and Hogan instinctively tries to react to that and catches him in the head with the area between his shoulder and elbow. The charging in made it at least reckless but still far less dangerous than what had happened to him.

At this point the referee decides to hell with my earlier decision I am now going to apply the rules to a and send this player off. The game was over after that.

Yes Kilkenny should have adjusted tactically but they were now a forward down and they had got their early success from the feracious work rate of their forwards. Trying to do that a man down was never going to work against a team who can properly employ a sweeper.

To add to the frustration RTE were continually telling us that any contact to the head was to be a red card. Ignoring the fact that on at least two occasions it wasn't. I'm just frustrated because a potentially great game was ruined by inconsistent application of the rules. Taken in isolation the Hogan tackle was a red card and a stupid one at that but moments in games aren't taken in isolation.
The rule is, 'Deliberate high challenge'

Is it?  I thought the rule was that it was an offence To strike an opponent with a hurley, either with
force or causing injury. For which the punishment is a straight red card.

Again I'm not annoyed with Hogan's red. What I am annoyed with that having previously decided he wasn't going to apply rules on striking the ref then decided to apply it.  It was that inconsistency that ruined the game.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

tonto1888

Is there debate surrounding it? For me the strange thing is why he didn't even book the tipp lad who wrapped his hurl round Hogan's face