Martin Comerford hangs them up - another blow for KK

Started by orangeman, May 12, 2011, 11:43:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

orangeman

Another big blow to KK's chances this year.

Kilkenny forward Martin Comerford has revealed his retirement from inter-county hurling.

The 32-year-old won nine Leinster titles and six All-Ireland championships in an illustrious career with the Cats.

The O'Loughlin-Gaels stalwart also claimed a hat-trick of All-Star awards. (2002, 2003 and 2006).

'The time has come for me to go,' he told the Kilkenny People.

'I would like to thank everyone, my colleagues, team management and fans for being so good to me during my days with Kilkenny.

'I will remember them as some of the best days of my life

bottlethrower7

this isn't really a surprise. People in KK knew several weeks ago that this was coming.

Hes a big loss alright. Bowing out of the game with 6 all-Ireland medals to his name is no mean feat.

AZOffaly

Strange time of the year to do it, but well done to him on a great career. Górta doesn't owe much to Kilkenny.

theskull1

Quote from: orangeman on May 12, 2011, 11:43:55 PM
Another big blow to KK's chances this year.

Kilkenny forward Martin Comerford has revealed his retirement from inter-county hurling.

The 32-year-old won nine Leinster titles and six All-Ireland championships in an illustrious career with the Cats.

The O'Loughlin-Gaels stalwart also claimed a hat-trick of All-Star awards. (2002, 2003 and 2006).

'The time has come for me to go,' he told the Kilkenny People.

'I would like to thank everyone, my colleagues, team management and fans for being so good to me during my days with Kilkenny.

'I will remember them as some of the best days of my life

Lovely sentiments shown there. The GAA works both ways and it's great to hear top IC men like him speak like that about his years involved with KK.

A hurling great
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

thejuice

Every Empire must fall, but these lads wont be gone for long. It's not like they are taking up football instead.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Last Man

Anybody I spoke to who knows him always said he is an absolute diamond, sorry to see him go but he's done it all for Kk

imtommygunn

Him and brother Andy both great, and underrated, servant to Kilkenny.

My biggest memory would be his sub appearance against Tipp in 2009 final where his 1-3(I think) in the final ten minutes closed it out.

Two Hands FFS

Quote from: imtommygunn on May 14, 2011, 01:26:53 PM
Him and brother Andy both great, and underrated, servant to Kilkenny.

My biggest memory would be his sub appearance against Tipp in 2009 final where his 1-3(I think) in the final ten minutes closed it out.
He set up Richie Power who got a penalty which Shefflin buried & then scored a goal to pretty much win it..dont think he scored 3 points but definately made a huge impact when he came on

Think he scored maybe 1-4 in an All Ireland final v Cork(2003?) and got Man of the Match

Perhaps not the most stylish but a very effective & important Hurler for KK who had a great career

Milltown Row2

He was great for his club team this year until the semi against Loughgiel and wasn't great in the final.

Seen him in all his finals for Kilkenny and will go do as one of Kilkenny's great players of this era. As said before I thought his swashbuckling brother Andy was a brilliant player
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

NAG1

MR2 think you are slightly off there, he was brutal against LG and hardly touched leather but not to take away from his cracking IC career really classy on his day.

bottlethrower7

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 14, 2011, 04:09:43 PM
He was great for his club team this year until the semi against Loughgiel and wasn't great in the final.

he played the final with a broken hand

Incertus

ExiledGael

Quote from: NAG1 on May 16, 2011, 10:32:36 AM
MR2 think you are slightly off there, he was brutal against LG and hardly touched leather but not to take away from his cracking IC career really classy on his day.

MR2 said he was great until semi-final so think you are both in agreement

Milltown Row2

Quote from: NAG1 on May 16, 2011, 10:32:36 AM

Hmmmmm ::) ::) ::)

read it again ;)

If his hand was broken in the final he maybe should not have played. I'm not for playing players who are injured
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

bottlethrower7

right, he could have waited til the next time OLG get to the final