Mick O'Dwyer

Started by portlaoisekid, January 09, 2018, 08:50:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

portlaoisekid

Just after watching the Micko documentary, IMO he is the greatest manager of all time but also without doubt flawed and a chancer of the highest order but in an organisation like the GAA to best the greatest chancer is quite an achievement, but it makes me think what's his legacy in Laois?

For me ,we would never have won the Leinster title without him arriving and we had some great times under him but the whole era seems like we underperformed with the players we had. IMO we should have won at least another 2 Leinsters and gone further in the All-Ireland.

Why did we fall short?

Don Draper

We won the one we should have lost
We lost the one we should have won
We lost the one we should have drew

Like that girl in your past that you were never sure if she really loved you, we had a great ride and best to enjoy the memories and not pull apart the ins and outs.

Asal Mor

Very unlucky in 05 final with a couple of frees wrongly awarded to the dubs late on being the difference.

redsetanta

Even aside from the decisions we had two chances to equalise with Ross and Tom Kelly. In saying that Mossy Quinn hitting 2 frees in a row from 45 metres to win it was unprecedented.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

recyclebin

Micko sounded a bit bitter about Laois in that documentary. What actually happened when he left?

I seem to remember hearing that his training seemed to involve a lot of running laps. Times were changing and maybe the players thought he wasn't keeping up with the times. There was more to Football than just being super fit.

I know other players maybe weren't too dedicated to football and the drink may have been a problem for a few.

Laoiseabu

He appeared to take a swipe at us alright. It's been all slowly downhill since that Leinster win for us .

The PRO

Quote from: Laoiseabu on January 09, 2018, 02:28:49 PM
He appeared to take a swipe at us alright. It's been all slowly downhill since that Leinster win for us .
His parting swipe at Laois was "they won nothing since". However, a Tommy Murphy Cup apart, neither did he.

Don Draper

Quote from: The PRO on January 09, 2018, 02:37:26 PM
His parting swipe at Laois was "they won nothing since". However, a Tommy Murphy Cup apart, neither did he.
Hold on. Three things here.
Firstly, there's enough people degrading the Tommy Murphy Cup, a Laois man shouldn't.
Secondly, he was right, we did win nothing since.
Thirdly, a Tommy Murphy Cup with Wicklow is a hell of an achievement.

Let it go lads, we loved him more than he loved us. No matter. He gave us great days. The ride was unrale.

Unlaoised

The players thought they knew more than him in the end which was a pity ...Yes his training was old fashioned but it worked we were super fit and able to move the ball up the field in waves yes we had some talented players but he got the best out of a more not so talented.

LAOIS ABÚ

The PRO

Quote from: Don Draper on January 09, 2018, 02:49:58 PM
Firstly, there's enough people degrading the Tommy Murphy Cup, a Laois man shouldn't.

Let it go lads, we loved him more than he loved us. No matter. He gave us great days. The ride was unrale.
I didn't denigrate the TM Cup. I simply stated that it's all Micko won after he left us.
I just thought he came across as a bit unnecessarily bitter against us.
There was a nice feel to the whole documentary bar that.

Unlaoised

Quote from: The PRO on January 09, 2018, 04:03:58 PM

I didn't denigrate the TM Cup. I simply stated that it's all Micko won after he left us.

I have heard that he didn't mean it to come across like that that it was edited and cut he had a lovely piece in it about Laois and how friendly the people were.
LAOIS ABÚ

The PRO

Quote from: Unlaoised on January 09, 2018, 04:26:02 PM
Quote from: The PRO on January 09, 2018, 04:03:58 PM

I have heard that he didn't mean it to come across like that that it was edited and cut he had a lovely piece in it about Laois and how friendly the people were.
It's a pity if that's the case. I actually don't doubt it is because Micko remains on very good terms with most of the officials and players from the 2003 to 2005 period. There was a huge Laois crowd down at his wife's funeral 4 years ago.

Don Draper

Its not worth getting upset by lads. Remember the good times. He was, is, a great man.

Tony

The situation with that around the time was less dramatic than you'd think. Micko was stuck in his old ways and stubborn. A lot of the lads saw the likes of Armagh and Tyrone & saw the way things were going with S&C. There was a disaggreement there alright but otherwise it was a very good partnership and, by our standards, very successful. We'd kill for a couple of leinster finals these days - we'd even be very happy with a croke park appearance this year - something that was 2 a penny back then.

redsetanta

less than 2 or 3 minutes covering his time with Laois and Wicklow so heavily edited I would think.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi