Sinn Fein? They have gone away, you know.

Started by Trevor Hill, January 18, 2010, 12:28:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ambrose

Quote from: BennyCake on November 20, 2019, 09:39:57 AM
SF (and DUP) will suffer in this election. Although they won't suffer enough to make a big difference.

SF will probably lose Foyle, DUP will lose south Belfast but probably gain north Down. Not a lot of difference.
You can't live off history and tradition forever

grounded

Quote from: t_mac on November 20, 2019, 11:22:45 AM
Quote from: grounded on November 20, 2019, 11:11:01 AM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on November 19, 2019, 10:24:09 PM
I voted SF last 30 years. I'm a slow learner. They are the most nasty, vile, bullying, insulting bunch. They went from putting people in bags to  just psychological bullying anyone in their community who might dare to disagree with them.

Maybe i'm misreading this, but why did you vote for them if this is your view?

I went to mass for 20 odd years before I realised the Catholic Church is a nasty, vile, bullying, insulting bunch and God is non-existent, I also believed in Santa for a time!  We are all conditioned by our surroundings - sometimes it takes a while for the truth to set in.

Sure, i get that we can change our views after a time and you gave a few examples there. But given the level of media attention Sinn Fein attracted over a 30 year period, what made the previous poster suddenly decide to stop voting for them?
           Why was he voting for nearly a third of a century for a party he clearly despises. It makes no sense.

marty34

I voted SF last 30 years. I'm a slow learner. They are the most nasty, vile, bullying, insulting bunch. They went from putting people in bags to  just psychological bullying anyone in their community who might dare to disagree with them.

It took you 30yrs - then you changed your mind suddenly?
What happened? Did you leave the party?

t_mac

Quote from: marty34 on November 20, 2019, 01:40:02 PM

How do you gradually change your vote, as opposed to suddenly?

marty34

Quote from: t_mac on November 20, 2019, 03:37:10 PM

After 30 years...i think that's suddenly....in anyone's language.

theticklemister

Well done me oul city mucker, you've seen the light!

t_mac

Quote from: marty34 on November 20, 2019, 04:08:50 PM
Quote from: t_mac on November 20, 2019, 03:37:10 PM

After 30 years...i think that's suddenly....in anyone's language.

You don't vote every year you know, changing vote after 5 or 6 elections isn't sudden, just a coming to ones senses, let's be honest anyone over 40 is conditioned to be us against them no matter what, fair play to anyone who calls shinners out and ditches the useless shower.

Eamonnca1

My impression of SF is that they're run along military lines. You follow orders from the top and don't question them, which is why a leadership contest in SF looks so strange and infrequent.

I often find their supporters to be fairly thin-skinned; they take criticism of the party very personally.

Am I alone in this and completely off the mark?

dec

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on November 20, 2019, 07:43:22 PM
My impression of SF is that they're run along military lines. You follow orders from the top and don't question them, which is why a leadership contest in SF looks so strange and infrequent.

I often find their supporters to be fairly thin-skinned; they take criticism of the party very personally.

Michelle O'Neill and Mary Lou McDonald both seemed to be chosen as leaders in their respective positions without an election.

marty34

Look what happened to John O'D!

trailer

Quote from: marty34 on November 20, 2019, 08:20:55 PM

The election for vice chairperson was straight out of the communist Russia playbook. No debate or hustings and no voting results. John O'Dowd will no doubt be ostracised as a result.

marty34

Quote from: trailer on November 20, 2019, 08:27:22 PM

The election for vice chairperson was straight out of the communist Russia playbook. No debate or hustings and no voting results. John O'Dowd will no doubt be ostracised as a result.

I, and most people, probably actually think he's a better candidate than O'Neill.  I'm not sure why she's in as deputy leader or what it's called.  O'Dowd a good speaker and comes across as likeable.

Only thing I can think of is maybe female representation but if so, they've taken it to the extreme.

Strange indeed whatever is behind it.  Pearse Doherty is a great candidate - doing great work on the banks and more recently, insurance.  He should be leader in my opinion.

Owenmoresider

Not at all, especially that bit in bold.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: grounded on November 20, 2019, 11:11:01 AM

Maybe i'm misreading this, but why did you vote for them if this is your view?

I voted SF when they only got 10% of the vote. The military campaign was still in full flow. I lived in a totally militarised area of Derry where you were fully aware that you were occupied by a foreign and oppressive army. The ruc were worse. A high proportion of our street was either in the Ra, irps, stickies or at least sympathisers. It was a clannish them against us thing. Throughout this time you conditioned yourself to sort of ignore the atrocities committed by republicans as the Brits were the bigger fish that needed fríed.
As peace descended a new phenomenon occurred. Essentially the Brits bought us off. They ensured all community groups came under SF control through nepotism etc. It was the money drug that the shinners could not resist, but only they get to avail of it. An increasing percentage of party members seemed to become unable to free think, and those thst did were crushed or expelled. The party gave no free vote on abortion, they celebrated it like all ireland final. The introduced welfare reforms, they dished our SIF unfairly. They have been devisive even on the language question here in Derry. Splitting schools to ensure control away from CCC, I couid go on for hours.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: marty34 on November 20, 2019, 09:22:58 PM
Quote from: trailer on November 20, 2019, 08:27:22 PM

I, and most people, probably actually think he's a better candidate than O'Neill.  I'm not sure why she's in as deputy leader or what it's called.  O'Dowd a good speaker and comes across as likeable.

Only thing I can think of is maybe female representation but if so, they've taken it to the extreme.

Strange indeed whatever is behind it.  Pearse Doherty is a great candidate - doing great work on the banks and more recently, insurance.  He should be leader in my opinion.

Doherty and Ó Muilleoir are very impressive individuals. I don't know why they're not more prominent.