Cuba

Started by CiKe, August 29, 2007, 09:14:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CiKe

Lads, am off to Cuba for 10 days in a couple of weeks. What are the must sees and is there anything I should avoid like the plague? ANy comments on accomodation you may have stayed in if you can remember them would be much appreciated.

Gabriel_Hurl

where in Cuba are ye for?

I was there for a week at the start of August.

CiKe

flying in and out of Havana and nothing planned yet. Don't know much about the place at all, so investing in Lonely Planet tomorrow

Gabriel_Hurl

Ah right - I just stayed in a resort in Cayo Coco - didn't venture too far around

Croí na hÉireann

Customs in Havana a nightmare, be prepared to wait... 10 days is very short, although plenty of time for one trip out of Havana, depends what u want to do, sit on a beach or visit a couple of towns??? Regarding Havana visit the cigar factory behind the capitol building, avoid the rum museum. The historical museum worth a wander, if only to take in all the propaganda. Book the "La Guardia" restaurant in advance, finest food I've ever tasted and an experience not to be missed, pricey by Havana standards but cheaper than a meal out here, it will be one of ur highlights.

In Havana stayed in the Meson De La Flota the first 3 nights, was quite a specticale to see the dancers up on stage when we arrived and the accommadation wasn't bad, a/c wasn't working (and I suspect it hadn't for a while) which wasn't ideal... Last 3 nights stayed in the Park View, more modern, good value, working A/C and seemed very popular with the younger tourists, 20's and 30's.

Found the Rough Guide to be better than Lonely Planet but if ur just staying in Havana I'd get the TimeOut...
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

behind the wire

planning to take in any boxing Cike? try to find out the secret of producing so many good boxers when you are out there.
He who laughs last thinks the slowest

CiKe

thanks lads. I had reckoned on probably spending 3-4 days in Havana, with one of those days being lazy beach day, and then probably visiting two other towns for 2-3 days each before heading back to Havana. I'd be more into seeins the natural beauty of the island I think and doing a bit of walking/hiking rather than the cigar factory kinda thing. I'll definitely take in some of the museums, monuments of course but will ideally spend as little time as possible indoors.

To be honest hadn't really thought too much about taking in any boxing. Not a lot of time on my hands unfortunately so isn't a priority. In any event with Rigondeaux's defection and subsequent return they lost in my opinion their bext boxer (better even than Kindelan).

Croí na hÉireann

With the heat u'll be wanting to spend as much time in the shade as possible. The cigar factory is a must see, will only take an hour or two. If ur only going for 10 days I'd only spend about 4 nights in total in Havana. The towns of Santa Clara and Trinidad are probably ur best bets if ur travelling by road, else u could fly down to Santiago and take the road to Baracoa, one journey u'll never forget, not for the feinthearted though... Did a day trip on horses from Trinidad and I believe there's lovely beaches near there too. If u head to Santa Clara I've got details for an excellent Casa, lots of Che Guevera stuff to see here too...
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

balladmaker

Stayed 3 nights in Havana and 8 in Varadero...

In Havana, stayed in Parque Central Hotel http://www.hotelparquecentral.com/

Really nice hotel, and very well located.  I tried out one of the paladors (a normal Cuban house turned into a restaurant for the night, the granda sitting watching the tele while you eat at his kitchen table sort of thing), apparently they did good quality food at a decent price....so thought we'd give it a go to see what the craic was....I must have hit it unlucky, the food was brutal and the front door was locked until we paid!

Havana was pretty safe to walk around, literally had a policeman on every corner.  The locals are afraid to step out of line, such are the repercussions if they do.  I would say 3 or 4 nights in Havana is more than enough.

Loved the Mohito's in Havana, a mint leave flavoured rum drink, went down a treat.  Although beware of the touristy bars, got absolutely got ripped off in a bar called El Floridito, just because Ernest Hemminway used to frequent it at one stage...I think I paid the equivalent of £7 per drink...f**k that! 

The bars in Havana have a great vibe....everyone seems to have a band playing even on a Monday night...the best of Cuban music and a few beers is hard to beat.  Be prepared for the begging on the streets, can get a bit too much sometimes.

As for Varadero, probably the nicest beach I have ever been on.   But varadero is not the real Cuba, Cubans aren't allowed into Varadero unless they work there.  It is full of big resorts, Sandals and the like.

ludermor

With thanks to HS

So CiKe,
how did you get on? Did you get out of Havana? I am tyring to get 3 weeks to have a half decent wander around the place.

ludermor

Anyone any info? Was wondering bout costs as well, dont want to stay in a resort so what are the normal hotels like?

dodo

Cuba is not cheap. Staying in their equivalent of B&Bs called Casa Particulares is a good option. Standards vary and not always according to price, always check the room before paying etc. Air con or at least a fan is a must for a decent nights sleep. When landing somewhere don't get sucked in by the local bucks trying to sort out your accommodation for you, you'll end up paying for the 'privilege'. These Casa Particulares often have great dinner options too, I had the meal of meals at one down by the Bay of Pigs. I went for a swim whilst waiting for my meal to be cooked, I could see the man of the house buying the lobster off the fishing boat as I was in the warm evening sea. Nothing like a swim to build up the hunger and by Lord was I given a feast.
Car hire is a great way of getting to see lots of places on a short holiday. It's great craic giving the locals lifts as they are genuinely friendly and very helpful, this is more true in the countryside as in the cities there are the obvious risks involved. Being able to 'hablar un poco espanol' is a great advantage, even a few words go a long way. Be prepared to be hassled in various charming ways by people who want a dollar or more from you.
We flew into Havana and spent a few days walking about, getting the Coco taxis and so on. You can stay in the Hotel Riviera on the waterfront, we paid something like €82 for a huge double suite. This hotel was owned by US mobsters before the revolution and is a real cool place with a fine swimming pool and live music, a good option for you're last few days if flying out of Havana. As mentioned before the bars in town are class, very atmospheric with people dancing with great ease. Not hard to spot the tourists when the rhythmic moves are going down.
Visited Topes de Collantes (a spa resort in the mountains with good treks and waterfalls), Trinidad (a colourful picture postcard colonial town), Bay of Pigs (good for nature watching but the museums etc weren't up to much) and Viñales (a very distinctive hill landscape with caves where tobacco and coffee are grown).
Great country to visit,totally unique. I'd strongly recommend anybody to travel about and not stay in a resort if possible as there is so much to take in.

Hardy

My compliments, dodo. Your short piece makes me want to book a pair of tickets right now. Some people who get paid to describe "destinations" (as it seems we have to call places now) don't do it as well as that.

ludermor

Fair play Dodo thats a fair script alright. 

TheReelest

Ladsl, roughly whats the damage for return flights?
What was the nighlife like? Might take a gander over there in Sept