Kerry / Carrantuohill

Started by CiKe, June 15, 2009, 08:03:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CiKe

A crowd of us (four couples) are heading to Kerry the weekend of the 14th August and looking to climb Carrantuohill. Whilst no expert, I've done a bit of hiking before so have some navigational experience although I'd be dubious about my abilities in low visibility. A few things:

1) I've read bits and pieces about the Devil's Ladder being in worse and worse shape and we may be best avoiding it altogether etc. Has anyone been up it recently? Do you need a head for heights? Most of us would be adventurous enough but have my doubts about some of the girls when push comes to shove.

2) Which route has the best views and how do they compare difficulty wise?

The next thing then to sort out is the food/drink/music. The rest of them are all foreign so would like to show them some traditional music. Any recommendations for good pubs for a session and some pub grub (would be keen to avoid a huge tourist crowd if possible although realise may be difficult in August...)

Thanks in advance

Mayo4Sam

Its been a year since i was up but it was grand. In termso f views the other way, cant think of the name is probabl better, its longer though and tough at the start, i preferred the devils ladder.

On the mist comng down, it happened to me 2 years ago in may, hit down from the top and realised after 10 minutes we were lost, had to go back to the top and try and find the track again, tough going, make sure u have ur mobile with u.

Kilorglin is a great town, nice pub down by the river, and another on the left on the main street and a nice restaurant on the main street, just up from the puck's statue on the left as well.
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

ludermor

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on June 15, 2009, 09:10:40 PM

Kilorglin is a great town, nice pub down by the river, and another on the left on the main street and a nice restaurant on the main street, just up from the puck's statue on the left as well.

The bould Puck must have made a good impression down there!

bcarrier

CiKe

Thanks for the link bcarrier quite useful. Pity didn't have it before as had already ordered the OS map. It arrived today ad must say the detail does not look great at all - the track through the Hag's Glen and up the Ladder is fine, but the track up the Hydro Road disappears at the lake and it doesn't show the loop of the track round the summit shown on the mountain rescue website. Have been told by some people who were up it already that the tracks are well marked, however on what I'm reading it sounds to me like they're maybe being a bit blasé about things - which wouldn't be unlike them.

Looks quare steep round the summit - I'll be hoping there is no mist at all.

Main Street

If you hear some tortured soul in the mist, whining  about nordies, lie low and keep still, that would be the abominable mike sheehy on the prowl.

I really don't know how anybody using a minimum amount of care, who can manage the occasional windy walk home from the pub,  would have trouble keeping to well trampled path, up a hill some 1000m high.