Laois footballers the Championship 2018 What went on and the review!

Started by Unlaoised, April 10, 2018, 10:25:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leixlad

Quote from: Joeythelips on June 13, 2018, 11:19:33 AM
Quote from: The Boy Wonder on June 13, 2018, 01:05:17 AM
Just listened to the interview - no better man - Ross has done his county proud every time he wore the blue and white.

I'll never forget his performance in the 2nd half of the 2005 Leinster Final where he nearly single handedly got us over the line.

An inspirational guy to have in our dressing room.

Strange with all the games he won but that Dublin game is what sticks in my mind too when I think of Ross Munnelly. I was in the upper Hogan and he was telling his own players to get out of his way and make room for him as he was sprinting from one touch line to the other to win posession. He demanded the ball each time Laois came forward, he must have ran about 15 miles that day. He was incredieble and the Dubs were hitting him hard and often as they recognised he was the danger man but still he came back for more each time. Probably one of the best performances I have seen from any player in a Laois jersey.

Yeah an unbelievable performance that day from him. How he didn't get an all star that year still baffles me.  If ever there is going to be a statue of a Laois player it'll surely be Ross! Maybe when he retires! If he retires!!  :o

Tony

Ross is only 35, he's not over 40; He has another couple of years in him I think  ;D! If you mind yourself like Ross does and eat right and recover well, that's why you can still kick on at 35+ and make an impact. He's better now than he was in 2014/15/16, in my opinion, so fair play to him. As he said in his interview - losing his place meant he could have retired - or it could have spurred him on to try even harder to be better and win back his place. And that hard work has paid off as he's now a vital part of our starting 15 or a very important impact sub. Great ambassador for laois and excellent role model for the younger lads.

Don Draper

Quote from: Tony on June 13, 2018, 07:55:10 PM
Ross is only 35, he's not over 40; He has another couple of years in him I think  ;D! If you mind yourself like Ross does and eat right and recover well, that's why you can still kick on at 35+ and make an impact. He's better now than he was in 2014/15/16, in my opinion, so fair play to him. As he said in his interview - losing his place meant he could have retired - or it could have spurred him on to try even harder to be better and win back his place. And that hard work has paid off as he's now a vital part of our starting 15 or a very important impact sub. Great ambassador for laois and excellent role model for the younger lads.

Not all that long ago some fellas on here wanted him retired.

Tony

In the last few years, Laois are one of the only teams in leinster to put it up to Dublin and make it interesting. We did ok in nowlan pk with 14, we ran them close to 3points in the 2012 all Ireland quarter final and we were leading at half time in 2014 and should have been further ahead. We had a couple of goal chances that day but didn't capitalise. We'll need all the goals we can get in the leinster final.

Clubber Lang

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcdNumgT8m0

The first half against Dublin in 2014 was some of the best football played by a Laois team in the last decade and had the likes of Conway been more accurate with shooting could have built up a greater lead. Munnelly kicked some great scores and Kingston was at his peak that year fitness wise. It was probably the last time Dublin were losing at half time in a Leinster championship game. 

seafoid

Quote from: Clubber Lang on June 14, 2018, 10:45:07 AM

The first half against Dublin in 2014 was some of the best football played by a Laois team in the last decade and had the likes of Conway been more accurate with shooting could have built up a greater lead. Munnelly kicked some great scores and Kingston was at his peak that year fitness wise. It was probably the last time Dublin were losing at half time in a Leinster championship game.
How did Laois go backwards after 2014?
Why did it happen?
Great to see Kingston and Munnelly in Croke Park again this year
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Don Draper

Quote from: seafoid on June 14, 2018, 11:00:32 AM

Why did it happen?
Shite managers.

redsetanta

Cluxton out won't affect the result but there should be shakey moments when Donie could get his fist to a dropping ball. Definately should send in a few high ones early doors.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Don Draper

Quote from: redsetanta on June 14, 2018, 11:28:30 AM
Cluxton out won't affect the result but there should be shakey moments when Donie could get his fist to a dropping ball. Definately should send in a few high ones early doors.
He's worth 5-6 points to them for a variety of reasons. You're correct in that it won't change the result, but it is a positive. I'm sending a card to the Longford fella, anyone want me to add their name to it as well?

The PRO

Quote from: Don Draper on June 14, 2018, 11:26:06 AM

Why did it happen?
Shite managers.
Yup. Justin McNulty couldn't be got rid of quick enough back then. We had 3 bad choices since then.

redsetanta

The games were unwatchable under McNulty even if we did win more. Give me the set up that's there now any day of the week over McNulty. Has he done anything in management since then?
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Don Draper

Quote from: The PRO on June 14, 2018, 12:47:16 PM
Quote from: Don Draper on June 14, 2018, 11:26:06 AM

Why did it happen?
Shite managers.
Yup. Justin McNulty couldn't be got rid of quick enough back then. We had 3 bad choices since then.
He wasn't playing the "Laois way". f**king hell, when you think back on it, we're some shower.

Anyway, bandwagon ahoy, all are welcome aboard. Ticket sales are out the gate for the final.

Joeythelips

Quote from: Don Draper on June 14, 2018, 11:48:11 AM
He's worth 5-6 points to them for a variety of reasons. You're correct in that it won't change the result, but it is a positive. I'm sending a card to the Longford fella, anyone want me to add their name to it as well?

I agree, Cluxtons kickouts are one of Dublins main weapons as his kickouts are so accurate, as Dublin are not the best ball winners (well for such a good team their not) hopefully Laois push right up on the kickouts to put the new keeper under the maximum pressure to make him drive it long and send in some high balls in his direction. Im sure the goalie trains as hard as anyone but it does not compare to a big game in Croker.

Don Draper

Quote from: Joeythelips on June 14, 2018, 12:59:52 PM
Quote from: Don Draper on June 14, 2018, 11:48:11 AM

I agree, Cluxtons kickouts are one of Dublins main weapons as his kickouts are so accurate, as Dublin are not the best ball winners (well for such a good team their not) hopefully Laois push right up on the kickouts to put the new keeper under the maximum pressure to make him drive it long and send in some high balls in his direction. Im sure the goalie trains as hard as anyone but it does not compare to a big game in Croker.
He can train all he likes, but until he proves it under pressure, the backs will be nervous, as will he. You earn trust. Dublin have had a revolving door of sub goalies in recent years, understandably seeing as that other fella never wants to give any of them a game. Lob it into him early doors.