Laois footballers the Championship 2018 What went on and the review!

Started by Unlaoised, April 10, 2018, 10:25:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

County Man

On the Hop dont't be so negative!! We are in the Leinster final!!  ;D

We have beaten Carlow 3 times in a row this year, not bad considering they beat Louth and Kildare comfortably.

The display yesterday was excellent against a team who set up so negatively. It took incredible patience and mental strength especially in the first 20 minutes to take control of the game and boss it. We had 76% possession in the first half. Big Donie was treble marked at times but still kicked a super point early on to push us 2-1 ahead. Yes he missed some frees but so did Broderick.

Credit also to Colm Begley, Alan Farrell and young Crowley who kicked lovely points in the first half. Its a 21 man game and Glynn, Donagher, Johnno and Evan kicked fine scores to see us through. We hit a lot more wides than Carlow and 8 from play compared to Carlow's 3 from play so a fully deserved win.

We owe a lot to our defence. Again Dillon was outstanding with that brilliant block on Broderick and also a couple of turnovers. Same with Mark Timmons. Solid as a rock.

Our captain Attride was excellent again and what a pity what happened at the end. Wishing him a speedy recovery, what a soldier.

Trevor Collins is really maturing and Alan Farrell is a real workhorse, he deserves great credit.

Midfield solid again and negated Sean Murphy's runs.

We are blessed to have Sugrue in charge and for me he can have the job for as long as he wants. 

10 competitive wins in a row this year. Laois football is on a high. Fine support in Croke Park yesterday. I noticed that Longford had very few there. I would urge supporters to travel in big numbers again for the final. 11 years is too long a time.

Obviously we are in bonus territory now. Who could have predicted this a year ago?

Dublin are rampant at the moment. We held them to 11 points in 2016 and 2014. If we could keep the margin to single figures it would be a fantastic effort and something to take to round 4 of the qualifiers.

Keep it as tight as possible and try to grab some scores on the counter attack. A goal or 2 for us wouldn't go amiss. We have the forwards to get them. All in all, I can't wait! This is what its all about!

Thank you Sugrue, the rest of the backroom team and of course the players. You have all done us proud. 

on the hop

Your making me feel bad😀, I could say that we only scored the same as louth and less than kildare. Still think that we shouldn't have to had made it so nervous in the end. You can miss frees but some of them were sloppy misses. Would you change any of the forwards for the final or are we to assume that o Connor will go into the backs and Evan into the forwards

Giovanni

I personally wouldn't have Damien O Connor at corner back against Dublin (or anyone else). He works hard out the field and covers plenty of ground but I wouldn't see him as a corner back. 

ollie12

I was up at the game on Sunday....
I thought Laois played a very calm and measured game. They didn't panic and didn't kick it away and get frustrated with the 14 man Carlow defence in front of them. A few notable points from the game, Timmons got a brilliant hand in on Murphy and disposed him brilliantly in first half. Donoher's pass to Crowley was great vision and Crowley kicked a super point from the pass. Laois's kickouts very fast and got the play under way straight away. Glynn kicked a great point from a narrow angle with possibly his first possession having come on when Laois were after kicking 3 or 4 bad wide's and badly needed a score. Dillons block on Broderick in second half was excellent, its rare in todays game.  Brody did very well from play coming out with the ball and it always attracts at least two opposition players and frees up his own team mates. Crowley was excellent under the long kickouts and picked up a few vital breaks. I thought Donnie kicked a few excellent frees in the last 15 minutes to close out the game, after missing a few scoreable ones beforehand. Evan kicked a nice point after a personally tough week for the chap. And finally Stephen Attride, what bravery to cut out a vital ball with 30 seconds left on the clock, its a pity that his sheer bravery came at such a cost to our captain.
Well done to all players, management and backroom staff.  Bring on the Dubs............ :)

Unlaoised

Here's my rating from the weekend

A usual its only an opinion -im not always right :-) ..I respect every one of the Laois lads and the commitment they make to the jersey!

Brody 8 - Took a great early high ball and started great attacks with his bursts from goal.His kickout long and short were good.St Ledger should have seen red for his tackle on him.

Attride 7-Not on as much ball as he usually gets coming out of defence but his brave block at the end probably won the game fro Laois but could cost him his season.

Timmons 7-Solid under the hig ball and made a few great tackles with one great shoulder on Murphy was caught for pace a few times but he is a great leader back there

Dillion 8 -Another great performance by the corner back his block on Brodrick was superb and he was available for so  many kickouts taking off a mark for messing up one by taking it inside the line.

Collins 6-Quite enough but did a solid job I thought he could have made more of his runs forward on the right side in the first half but he has a great engine.

Begley 8-Had to be close to man of the match so composed on the ball and kicked a great point showing real leadership this year and looks very fit.

Crowley 8- Did a great job on Murphy and took the sting out of the Chu Chu ..Kicked a great point and picked up a lot of vital breaks in midfield.

O'Loughlin 8-Caught a few great kickouts a big easier in the middle for him due to Carlows also small midfield.A power house who put in some great tackles.Scored a nice point after a great Laois move.

Lillis 6- Was decent in spells but coughed up possession to many times not like him and he will have to improve that in the final grew into the game and has been a real plus this year.

Farrell -6 Not his best game but a willing worker kicked a great score in the first half.He has come on so much but needs to keep that level of improvement to keep his place.

Donoher -9 My man of the match superb in the first half winning two vital frees and setting up Kingston and Crowley for their scores.Kept it simple but was always looking to make things happen.Superb point in the second half.He always plays well in Croker

O'Connor 6-Alot of dirty work off the ball which was vital to the teams shape etc but he coughed up possession and his lack of scoring abilty in zones where he should be kicking is noticeable.

Munnelly 7- Did well winning a lot of ball and a few frees was dispossed a few times and missed and easy free which will disappoint him still having a great year and is a credit to his county.

D Kingston 7-Not his best game but was frustrated inside with the ball not coming in and two carlow lads hanging off his tail he did kick a great point and few nice frees in the second half.

P Kingston 6-Not the same impact as the last day and was kept very quiet by a tight marker still a player with so much skill and he worked hard for the team.

Carroll 7-I thought he showed quick hands a few times creating two Laois points and was busy when he came in.

Glynn 7-Deadly point and never lost the ball can be happy with his contribution .

O'Carroll 8- Looked dangerous in the 20 minutes he was on making two great runs and kicking a fine score on such a tough week for him his father would have been proud!

Strong 7- Caught one superb Carlow kickout and was good on the ball

Conway Walsh and Nerney weren't on long enough to really rate although Conway did get a few possessions .

As you can see by the subs ratings it certainly was a squad effort.

I'm proud of everyone of them there is no pressure on them now for the Dublin game and nothing but a heavy defeat is expected .

The players and staff should be proud of themselves winning every game we have played in 2018.

I cannot wait for the final and I hope the same Laois support travels up

Finally best wishes to Stephen I hope he makes a full recovery if you wanted to know why he was picked as captain then that tackle showed why.
He is a great player  and has been even in th bad years I hope his family and friends rally round him to make sure he recovers well physically and mentally which could be hard when something you love doing is taken away from you for what could be a considerable amount of time.

LAOIS LAOIS LAOIS
LAOIS ABÚ

Tony

Good to see Stephen Attride in good spirits and posting a positive message on Instagram! Some man and huge respect to him. Speedy recovery, Stephen https://www.instagram.com/p/Bj4mXbVlt9z/

rrhf

Enjoyed the Ross munnelly interview tonight. Came across as a real class act.

Tony

Agreed, he is a class act. Here's the link to his interview if anyone is interested https://youtu.be/FHdz4xcTdKc

Unison

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Quote from: Tony on June 12, 2018, 10:22:30 PM
Agreed, he is a class act. Here's the link to his interview if anyone is interested https://youtu.be/FHdz4xcTdKc
Great interview, Ross is a credit to himself and his county. Thanks for the link Tony..
Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

The Boy Wonder

Just listened to the interview - no better man - Ross has done his county proud every time he wore the blue and white.

I'll never forget his performance in the 2nd half of the 2005 Leinster Final where he nearly single handedly got us over the line.

An inspirational guy to have in our dressing room.

portlaoisekid

All gone quiet on Jonny Coopers punch vs longford, I assume he is clear with no retrospective action taking place.

Don Draper

Quote from: portlaoisekid on June 13, 2018, 08:19:47 AM
All gone quiet on Jonny Coopers punch vs longford, I assume he is clear with no retrospective action taking place.
A tr**p will always be a tr**p.

Joeythelips

Quote from: The Boy Wonder on June 13, 2018, 01:05:17 AM
Just listened to the interview - no better man - Ross has done his county proud every time he wore the blue and white.

I'll never forget his performance in the 2nd half of the 2005 Leinster Final where he nearly single handedly got us over the line.

An inspirational guy to have in our dressing room.

Strange with all the games he won but that Dublin game is what sticks in my mind too when I think of Ross Munnelly. I was in the upper Hogan and he was telling his own players to get out of his way and make room for him as he was sprinting from one touch line to the other to win posession. He demanded the ball each time Laois came forward, he must have ran about 15 miles that day. He was incredieble and the Dubs were hitting him hard and often as they recognised he was the danger man but still he came back for more each time. Probably one of the best performances I have seen from any player in a Laois jersey.

blueandwhite1

For me, I will never forget the 2 goals that Ross scored in Navan against Meath in 2006. We were struggling in that game. It was a beautiful evening and Meath were convinced they would beat us. Laois stood up to them but one man rose above them all:

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/munnelly-makes-the-difference-for-laois-267975.html