McCarthy admits he does not have backing of Cork hurlers

Started by Minder, October 23, 2008, 09:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Reillers on December 18, 2008, 11:36:14 PM
Quote from: cicfada on December 18, 2008, 11:01:33 PM
You have to admit as well that the Cork style of possession/running hurling was nullified by the cats in 06 and mc Carthy tried to change the style in 07! The players couldn't change though as they were so used to that winning style ie possession and running! The players had a lot of mileage on the clock given the high intensity  style they employed and they were going to slip sooner or later! That possession style was only going to go so far! What I don't get is the notion down here in Cork that Cork are the only team that could  beat Kilkenny! if you look back at this decade,  the last team to beat Kilkenny  are Galway and they are also the only team to beat them twice this decade! Yet apparantly Cork are the only team that can beat them! Even if the rebels had all players available I'd put Tipperary, at least,  ahead of them in the rankings!

Oh God ya they figured out their style of play. The players don't make up the tactics as they go along, they are told to play in such a way. DESPITE what ye think they come up with the tactics, not under Gerald, Donal Og was dropped by Gerald for a game after he used a short puck out when he saw an oppurtunity to, which led to the other team scoring, but when Gerald cornered Donal Og, when he confronted him, (breaking the decision that was made where if the manager wanted to talk to a player the played could bring another player in with him to that meeting) Donal Og said that he wouldn't apoligise for it, he dropped him for the next game. They still, with the exception of 3 or 4 players have a lot of mileage left. They were going for 5 AI finals in a row and that's a fantasic record that even KK haven't matched..yet, that takes a lot out of the team. But the game style the play is the style they are told to play. Cork are the only team that can beat KK. Tipp always fall, they always screw up, they and Waterford don't have the bottle, the mental strength to beat them, either do Galway either, they beat KK in 05, but Cork beat Galway, it's been Cork KK, Cork KK, Cork KK for years. The only team that who don't fear KK are Cork.

I think you're patting yourself on the back there a bit too much. Most of these teams don't fear playing Kilkenny. They are usually just not good enough to beat them. Even Galway have beaten Kilkenny as much as anyone since 2000 and I know they don't fear playing them and why should they as they have regularly beaten Kilkenny teams all through the age grades.

But for every tight win Galway have got against them they've dished out a good beating as well because they are that good. They are capable of dishing out a bad beating to anyone if the mood takes them.

A roundabout way of saying that do I think Cork are the only team that can beat Kilkenny? Well the evidence points to no they are not.

Reillers

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on December 19, 2008, 06:06:21 PM
Quote from: Reillers on December 18, 2008, 11:36:14 PM
Quote from: cicfada on December 18, 2008, 11:01:33 PM
You have to admit as well that the Cork style of possession/running hurling was nullified by the cats in 06 and mc Carthy tried to change the style in 07! The players couldn't change though as they were so used to that winning style ie possession and running! The players had a lot of mileage on the clock given the high intensity  style they employed and they were going to slip sooner or later! That possession style was only going to go so far! What I don't get is the notion down here in Cork that Cork are the only team that could  beat Kilkenny! if you look back at this decade,  the last team to beat Kilkenny  are Galway and they are also the only team to beat them twice this decade! Yet apparantly Cork are the only team that can beat them! Even if the rebels had all players available I'd put Tipperary, at least,  ahead of them in the rankings!

Oh God ya they figured out their style of play. The players don't make up the tactics as they go along, they are told to play in such a way. DESPITE what ye think they come up with the tactics, not under Gerald, Donal Og was dropped by Gerald for a game after he used a short puck out when he saw an oppurtunity to, which led to the other team scoring, but when Gerald cornered Donal Og, when he confronted him, (breaking the decision that was made where if the manager wanted to talk to a player the played could bring another player in with him to that meeting) Donal Og said that he wouldn't apoligise for it, he dropped him for the next game. They still, with the exception of 3 or 4 players have a lot of mileage left. They were going for 5 AI finals in a row and that's a fantasic record that even KK haven't matched..yet, that takes a lot out of the team. But the game style the play is the style they are told to play. Cork are the only team that can beat KK. Tipp always fall, they always screw up, they and Waterford don't have the bottle, the mental strength to beat them, either do Galway either, they beat KK in 05, but Cork beat Galway, it's been Cork KK, Cork KK, Cork KK for years. The only team that who don't fear KK are Cork.

I think you're patting yourself on the back there a bit too much. Most of these teams don't fear playing Kilkenny. They are usually just not good enough to beat them. Even Galway have beaten Kilkenny as much as anyone since 2000 and I know they don't fear playing them and why should they as they have regularly beaten Kilkenny teams all through the age grades.

But for every tight win Galway have got against them they've dished out a good beating as well because they are that good. They are capable of dishing out a bad beating to anyone if the mood takes them.

A roundabout way of saying that do I think Cork are the only team that can beat Kilkenny? Well the evidence points to no they are not.

Maybe fear isn't the right word, how about belief that they could beat them. Cork think they can't beat anybody. It's a mentality thing. Galway, the one man team?? The team that should have beaten Cork, Cork fought back amazing, but if even two players gave young Canning a hand it would have been different. I've never seen such a "we'll let him do all the work" attitude. We're not talking about the minors and U21s here who I've great respect for, who should have beaten KK in the minors, they were robbed, it's a pity though that Galway don't seem to be able to transfer the success of the underage to senior level, but we're talking about the seniors and Cork have been KK's greatest threat to the title every season, they may not play them every season but when they do is monumental, not a one off, while I believe Galway deserved to win that match in 2005 I do think it was a one off (in the sense that Galway pop up and disapeer and do that over and over again,) especially when you look at the way Cork finished them off, it was the least nerve wrecking final I've seen with Cork for a while.
Hopefully now though that Galway are in Leinster we'll have more of Galway, I really hope they do well there and if anything give KK a run for their money. KK are an unnatural side, but they are given a massive advantage over everyone else with the fact that they have nothing to do till like the AI semi final. Hopefully Galway will produce more of a challenge, and it's an excuse for us to watch more of Joe Canning.

Cork and KK have been the biggest challegnge to eachother, the biggest fight this decade, everyone says it. When you look at the finals they've played be it Cork or KK if it's not eachother they were playing they weren't challenged (when you look at the score board at the end of the match). Limerick and Waterford didn't challenge KK and Galway didn't really challenge Cork.

Cork and KK have been ONE of the rivaliries of the decade. It's the way it is.

Lar Naparka

Reillers, Stevetharlear,
Thanks to both of you lads for taking the time to fill me in.
It's an incredible story and if it wasn't being played out in public view right here and now, I doubt if any sane person would take it for real.
Frank Murphy and the county board have a lot of explaining to do but it is hard to see to whom they are accountable—at least that is what stands out first and foremost to me.
This row has been rumbling on for the best part of a decade; both senior panels have been involved with a remarkable degree of unanimity across both hurling and football panels. I can't honestly recall a single intercounty player breaking ranks when his particular panel was engaged in a standoff.
Down the years both panels have undergone quite a few changes in personnel and yet the degree of solidarity is unprecedented.
By any stretch of the imagination, the players must have substantial reservations about Frank Murphy and so many players over such a long period of time with players joining and leaving each panel on an ongoing basis can't all be wrong.
Frank Murphy has been the only constant all along; I'm sure the county board setup must have undergone changes since the beginning of this decade. Frankie must have a huge degree of control over the board.
The big mystery to me is the fact that all the clubs of the players involved, both hurling and football, haven't seen fit to intervene.
I'm told Cork has the greatest number of registered GAA clubs in county and yet the silence from them all is deafening. Frank Murphy must be one hell of a unique individual to keep them all under control!
I'm sure you will understand how an outsider like me can feel confused by it all.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Reillers

How is it that you've shown up on very little of this forum, OM, Skull and co have been on this for 80 pages on heard the same debates over and over agian..and yet you, rarely on here, get it and they don't, you're open to accepting things, and understanding things.

At least you don't pretend to know what you're on about. But fair play you've pretty much hit the nail on the head again, without any bias.

Reillers

Cork play..officially the first game of the League is Dublin. But em, they play Kerry/Waterford IT in the Waterford Crystal on the 11th of January.

Reillers

theskull1

Quote from: Reillers on December 19, 2008, 11:28:19 PM
How is it that you've shown up on very little of this forum, OM, Skull and co have been on this for 80 pages on heard the same debates over and over agian..and yet you, rarely on here, get it and they don't, you're open to accepting things, and understanding things.

At least you don't pretend to know what you're on about. But fair play you've pretty much hit the nail on the head again, without any bias.

And how come a lot of people in Cork itself don't agree with you and yours Reillers? FFS the world is full of different perspectives. Deal with it. You sound like a child expecting everybody to see your point of view.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Reillers

Quote from: theskull1 on December 20, 2008, 05:13:13 PM
Quote from: Reillers on December 19, 2008, 11:28:19 PM

And how come a lot of people in Cork itself don't agree with you and yours Reillers? FFS the world is full of different perspectives. Deal with it. You sound like a child expecting everybody to see your point of view.

People are entitled to their oppinion and people have different oppinions in Cork. My point is, he is willing to hear both sides with no bias and doesn't ask the same questions over and over and over and over and over and 80 pages plus over again.
It'd be fine if ye had a different view but ye don't listen to a ward I say, ye ask the same questions over and over again, ye make the same stupid remarks over and over again. Ye wont look at both sides ye're just hell bent on making the players look bad. Ye winge and moan and cry about them and 80 plus pages here we are.

realrebel

reillers
u do everything u describe in your post yourself what the hell are u taslking bout
u dont listen to what anybody says and u put down the ccb all the time
so whats the difference tell me

theskull1

Quote from: Reillers on December 20, 2008, 06:45:54 PM
Quote from: theskull1 on December 20, 2008, 05:13:13 PM

People are entitled to their oppinion and people have different oppinions in Cork. My point is, he is willing to hear both sides with no bias and doesn't ask the same questions over and over and over and over and over and 80 pages plus over again.
It'd be fine if ye had a different view but ye don't listen to a ward I say, ye ask the same questions over and over again, ye make the same stupid remarks over and over again. Ye wont look at both sides ye're just hell bent on making the players look bad. Ye winge and moan and cry about them and 80 plus pages here we are.

So ??? its OK for us to have a different view as long as we listen to (I assume you mean accept) what you are saying? Grow up will you? Any particular reason why you've spat the dummy out of late and have reverted to attacking people again who don't agree with you?

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Onlooker

In view of the nature of the deadlock in Cork, it will take something out of the ordinary to reach any settlement.  I suggest that we really must start to think "outside the box" to make any progress.  How about the following scenario.  The neighbouring counties in Munster could agree to help Cork solve their problem by taking a loan for a couple of years of the players who are refusing to play for Cork in 2009.  The O'Connors and Cathal Naughton could make the short journey a mile or two down the road to join a club in Limerick and play for Limerick.  John Gardiner and Sean Og could fly to Shannon and play in the Clare half back line.  The East  Cork players like Donal Og, the Rock, Joe Deane and Niall McCarthy could move to their neighbours in Waterford  and I am sure that Tipperary would find places for Ronan Curran and Tom Kenny.  The younger players could rejoin the Cork panel.  Problem solved and all Munster counties would have improved their chances of beating Kilkenny.  ;) ;)

Reillers

Quote from: realrebel on December 20, 2008, 07:25:23 PM
reillers
u do everything u describe in your post yourself what the hell are u taslking bout
u dont listen to what anybody says and u put down the ccb all the time
so whats the difference tell me

There's a difference when YOU take in all the facts and then consider your oppinion on it, when all facts are taken into account then you form an oppinion, whatever that oppinion is it's your oppinion, but when you don't take in facts, don't accept the truth, twists the facts and such and wont listen to the hard cold facts of the story and form an oppinion then, that's what pisses me off.

You don't get and wont consider the actual facts.

Armagh4SamAgain

Quote from: hardstation on December 21, 2008, 12:29:23 AM
Jesus Christ, Reillers, your misspelling of opinion is irritating as f**k.

thats just ur oppionon.
'We just go out to play our football and let the critics say what they want. They usually do anyway"

Reillers

McCarthy at it yet again. He really has shot himself in the foot with this one.

McGurn yet to agree to Cork hurling role
GAA NEWS Kieran Shannon and Enda McEvoy

Fitness guru Mike McGurn has not agreed to become a member of Gerald McCarthy's new Cork hurling backroom team, the Sunday Tribune has learned.

Last week, the Cork manager proclaimed that the hugely-respected McGurn, the fitness coach to the Ireland rugby team during Eddie O'Sullivan's tenure, had come on board as an advisor to his set-up.

However, McGurn has only agreed to meet McCarthy on 9 January when his current clients, the Ospreys rugby team, play Munster in Swansea and has not made any commitment to taking up an advisory role with Cork.

While McGurn has not ruled out accepting the Cork offer either, he is believed to have concerns about the current standoff between McCarthy and the 2008 Cork panel, and was disappointed that it was reported he was already part of the set-up.

News that McGurn was on McCarthy's backroom ticket as an advisor to trainers Aodhán MacGearailt and Martin McSweeney was a huge credibility boost for the beleaguered Cork manager and considerably strengthened the position of the county board executive heading into last weekend's county convention.

At the convention, delegates gave the county board a mandate to set-up a committee consisting of two members of the executive, management team and outgoing players to try to resolve the dispute, but that any change to McCarthy's position was non-negotiable.

The day before convention, McCarthy had stated to a local reporter: "I am delighted to announce that Aodhán, Martin, and Mike are joining my backroom team. It is an exciting time for us and to have three new guys coming on board. Their fitness experience can only benefit the squad.

"Mike joining us is a great coup. He is known all over the world for his work with the Irish rugby team. Already the squad have been given their weight programmes for the coming months."

Those weight programmes, however, were not drawn up by McGurn, and he has only agreed to meet McCarthy in the second week of January, by which time the fitness advisors of most other top-flight hurling teams are already working with their players.

McGurn has worked with GAA players before, having been an advisor to his native Fermanagh this year, helping them to their first Ulster final in 26 years, while he was the physical trainer to this year's victorious International Rules team. Indeed it was on Seán Boylan's recommendation that McCarthy approached McGurn.

When contacted yesterday, Gerald McCarthy refused to comment.

December 21, 2008

cornafean

This was the only GAA story the Tribune had yesterday. Sounds like a non-story to me. If McGurn has changed his mind or doesn't want it, so what? There are plenty of trainers out there.
Boycott Hadron. Support your local particle collider.