Started by snatter, May 15, 2008, 02:14:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

passedit

from the tele

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/education/article3758394.ece

Principal hits back in GAA row

Monday, June 02, 2008

By Will Ellison

The principal of Limavady Grammar today hit back at claims his school had refused to allow GAA sports by revealing his students will have the option of playing gaelic sports from September.

Dr Sam McGuinness said he held a meeting with GAA coaches last September to arrange the introduction of GAA sports to the school and that the sports will now be offered through the Roe Valley learning community.

The principal spoke out following claims the school was refusing to allow GAA sports to be offered after a meeting between a teacher, 30 pupils and the Co Derry GAA development officer was cancelled.

However, Dr McGuinness says he knew nothing about the meeting and had not sanctioned it.

A spokesman for Derry GAA said: "Following meetings between the school authorities and local GAA clubs, the Derry GAA coaching and games manager was approached by a staff member in the school to provide after school coaching.

"The Derry GAA agreed to provide this service and the coaching and games manager was invited into the school to meet the interested children and to provide a session.

"Over the course of the last few days, parents of the school informed the coaching and games manager that the coaching session was cancelled. To date Derry GAA have received no official communication from Limavady Grammar School on this issue."

He added: "Limavady Grammar has a long tradition of excellence in sports such as rugby, soccer and cricket and it is clear that there is huge interest in gaelic games from many of the children who attend the school."

Speaking to the Telegraph, Dr McGuinness, meanwhile said: "There has been a lot of inaccurate reporting on this matter.

"I had a meeting with six GAA members in September at the council offices that was very constructive, a very good meeting. It was decided to offer the sport through the Roe Valley learning community."

He added: "The meeting that was cancelled was with 30 pupils and a teacher who was prepared to coach them. I did not sanction the meeting. When I was asked if there was going to be GAA at the school I said in innocence no because I knew nothing about the meeting.

"The teacher then said to me he had arranged a meeting and that perhaps it would be better to cancel it.

"I have received no complaints from the 30 boys' parents, and two parents who did contact me, I have had very constructive conversations with them. From next September there will be the option of playing GAA through the Roe Valley learning community which will be very positive, very constructive."

Dr McGuinness added that he has a meeting with GAA representatives scheduled for the start of this week.
Don't Panic

nifan

Much ado and accusations of bigotry for nothing then?

orangeman