11th night bonfires

Started by Fear Boirche, June 20, 2007, 11:03:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

red hander

Quote from: StGallsGAA on July 05, 2017, 08:32:22 PM
Quote from: red hander on July 05, 2017, 07:48:53 PM
Quote from: T Fearon on July 05, 2017, 07:34:53 PM
I am also of the opinion that the Orange Order would be all but irrelevant now had SF's policy of protesting not revived an organisation whose membership had dwindled seriously in the early 90s.
Best thing to do with parades and bonfires is ignore them

Croppies lie down, let them trail their coats and walk all over you. Aye, right. You talk of your experience in Portadown. I've family from the Tunnel and I know well what the people of Obins Street and Parkside had to put up with in the 70s/80s, and what the people of Garvaghy Road had to deal with in 90s. Around 25 years ago the RUC forced an Orange parade through the 100% nationalist Panda estate in Dungannon. The b**tards even broke down doors to arrest people waving tricolours from their own bedroom windows and charged them with behaviour likely to cause a breach of the peace ... needless to say the judge laughed the police out of court and dismissed the cases. The strong protests from locals that day, who were batoned off their own streets, ensured those f**kers never walked that route again

There was a loyalist parade thru the Panda around 1992?  Seriously doubt that RH.

It happened, forced down the Ballygawley Road towards their 'field', sparked rioting.

T Fearon

Well parades only annoy those who let them annoy them.They are meaningless to me

T Fearon

There is a huge Orange parade in Rossnowlagh every year.The fact that it has been trouble free I would suggest is due to the fact it is ignored by all but Orange Order members and supporters.

armaghniac

Quote from: T Fearon on July 05, 2017, 08:48:25 PM
There is a huge Orange parade in Rossnowlagh every year.The fact that it has been trouble free I would suggest is due to the fact it is ignored by all but Orange Order members and supporters.

It is also ignored by a substantial class of Orange order supporters.
Let the Orange Order conduct all parades in the manner of Rossknowlagh, in an independent Ireland, and no doubt the parades will be ignored also.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

seafoid

They don't claim superiority in Rossknowlagh.  Because it wouldn't be taken seriously. Like what Peter Canavan said in 2003. The British Army and Tyrone used to lose their power once they crossed the border.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

take_yer_points

Quote from: red hander on July 05, 2017, 08:40:42 PM
Quote from: StGallsGAA on July 05, 2017, 08:32:22 PM
Quote from: red hander on July 05, 2017, 07:48:53 PM
Quote from: T Fearon on July 05, 2017, 07:34:53 PM
I am also of the opinion that the Orange Order would be all but irrelevant now had SF's policy of protesting not revived an organisation whose membership had dwindled seriously in the early 90s.
Best thing to do with parades and bonfires is ignore them

Croppies lie down, let them trail their coats and walk all over you. Aye, right. You talk of your experience in Portadown. I've family from the Tunnel and I know well what the people of Obins Street and Parkside had to put up with in the 70s/80s, and what the people of Garvaghy Road had to deal with in 90s. Around 25 years ago the RUC forced an Orange parade through the 100% nationalist Panda estate in Dungannon. The b**tards even broke down doors to arrest people waving tricolours from their own bedroom windows and charged them with behaviour likely to cause a breach of the peace ... needless to say the judge laughed the police out of court and dismissed the cases. The strong protests from locals that day, who were batoned off their own streets, ensured those f**kers never walked that route again

There was a loyalist parade thru the Panda around 1992?  Seriously doubt that RH.

It happened, forced down the Ballygawley Road towards their 'field', sparked rioting.

Rubber bullets fired up round the square that day if I remember correctly. And the field was out towards eskra lough I think??

BennyCake

Quote from: T Fearon on July 05, 2017, 04:44:26 PM
As a small child growing up in Portadown pre troubles I recall going to 11th night bonfires and I wasnt the only catholic.Too young to understand what it was about but got crisps and minerals like all the other kids and it seemed very harmless then compared to now.

I assume the working or unemployed class protestant insecurity factor now is manifest in bigger and bigger bonfires sadly.

The increase in unionist insecurity has also seen the increased power of the DUP.

Rossfan

Quote from: armaghniac on July 05, 2017, 09:05:27 PM

It is also ignored by a substantial class of Orange order supporters.
Let the Orange Order conduct all parades in the manner of Rossknowlagh, in an independent Ireland, and no doubt the parades will be ignored also.
+1.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

T Fearon

I gather most if not all country parades are conducted with respect,Belfast is different mainly due to blood and thunder bands.In any event hasnt the Freestate govt invested millions in a heritage site on the Boyne,which is in effect a shrine to Orangeism?

But to emphasise my level of complete indifference,I was returning home from Mass about 8.30pm last Saturday night when a mini twelfth celebration was taking place in the village.I was stopped by the Police and asked to wait until one of the bands (none of which were the blood and thunder type),turned..Then when I got down into the village I was advised by the Police that the Road up to my house,about half a mile from the village centre and a main thoroughfare was closed on account of this celebration.This necessitated a detour of approximately 5 miles,ten minutes.Did it bother me? No.I just think all paraders and bands from all sides are sad if that's what they get off on.

BennyCake

Would it bother you if you had to take someone to the hospital in an emergency, and your road was closed? Those 10 minutes could be vital.

Íseal agus crua isteach a

My brother an elected representative from North Antrim two years ago tried to get Loyalists from a small village called Dervock to remove Loyalist flags and slogans they had put up on the local  Catholic church.

He went to the local papers and the RUC to make his complaint but it all fell on deaf ears.  That 12th the Loyalists made an effigy of my brother on their bonfire claiming he was a dead man. A few weeks later they fire bombed his house. Thankfully they weren't home.

Im from a small mixed village and relations are top notch. However come marching season it gets very tense. One of the main reasons is the putting up of Bristish buntings and flags which is not good. Its proocitive and unnecessary. If the shoe was on the other foot I would be embarrassed to put up Irish flags knowing it would hurt peoples feelings.

T Fearon

Flags are Rags as my late Father was fond of saying.I simply don't let it annoy me.Deep down few if any unionists really trust the British.I still think they are best ignored,loyalists must love the reaction they get every year.

Taylor

Quote from: T Fearon on July 06, 2017, 12:21:06 AM
I gather most if not all country parades are conducted with respect,Belfast is different mainly due to blood and thunder bands.In any event hasnt the Freestate govt invested millions in a heritage site on the Boyne,which is in effect a shrine to Orangeism?

But to emphasise my level of complete indifference,I was returning home from Mass about 8.30pm last Saturday night when a mini twelfth celebration was taking place in the village.I was stopped by the Police and asked to wait until one of the bands (none of which were the blood and thunder type),turned..Then when I got down into the village I was advised by the Police that the Road up to my house,about half a mile from the village centre and a main thoroughfare was closed on account of this celebration.This necessitated a detour of approximately 5 miles,ten minutes.Did it bother me? No.I just think all paraders and bands from all sides are sad if that's what they get off on.

Complete bullshit Tony.

The country ones are as bad.

Surprised at you talking rubbish on this one

T Fearon

I thought generally the kick the pope bands in Belfast meant the parades in the city
,by common consent,had a lot less decorum than those in the country.Think a distinction also needs to be made also between band parades and orange order parades.For example Poyntzpass Silver Band would be much more acceptable (they delayed me last Saturday) and melodic than Portadown True Blues.

Certainly in respect of any Orange parades I've run into inadvertently have been mannerly and not in any way triumphalist.

As I said I'm at the stage of my life were coloured cloths or people marching with coloured sashes don't bother me in any way.

Taylor

Quote from: T Fearon on July 06, 2017, 07:51:54 AM
I thought generally the kick the pope bands in Belfast meant the parades in the city
,by common consent,had a lot less decorum than those in the country.Think a distinction also needs to be made also between band parades and orange order parades.For example Poyntzpass Silver Band would be much more acceptable (they delayed me last Saturday) and melodic than Portadown True Blues.

Certainly in respect of any Orange parades I've run into inadvertently have been mannerly and not in any way triumphalist.

As I said I'm at the stage of my life were coloured cloths or people marching with coloured sashes don't bother me in any way.

Fair enough - if that is the case you have lived a sheltered life