11th night bonfires

Started by Fear Boirche, June 20, 2007, 11:03:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orior

But hang on, maybe there is light at the end of the tunnel. The councils are applying to be the Capital of Culture.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-40499143

Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

seafoid

Are bonfires part of Protestant culture anywhere other than the north of Ireland? Do Swedes burn bonfires with tricolours in them? Did Luther specify bonfires in his 95 conditions?
Maybe bonfires are a replacement for a shared protestant history in NI. Were there bonfires in july in the 1500s?
Joyce Carol Oates said that humans are the species that invents symbols in which to represent power and authority and then forgets that they are symbols. 
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

MoChara

Quote from: seafoid on July 05, 2017, 09:42:30 AM
Are bonfires part of Protestant culture anywhere other than the north of Ireland? Do Swedes burn bonfires with tricolours in them? Did Luther specify bonfires in his 95 conditions?
Maybe bonfires are a replacement for a shared protestant history in NI. Were there bonfires in july in the 1500s?
Joyce Carol Oates said that humans are the species that invents symbols in which to represent power and authority and then forgets that they are symbols.

But the bonfires aren't explicitly to celebrate Protestantism its supposed to be in remembrance of the natives lighting fires to help Williamite ships find their way down Belfast Lough to Carrickfergus.

It may be used for triumphalism in the North but that isn't supposedly the stated intent.

Orior

I though there were several plantations, the earliest was in the 17th century, not the 16th.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

seafoid

Quote from: Orior on July 05, 2017, 10:47:19 AM

I though there were several plantations, the earliest was in the 17th century, not the 16th.
Were they not there forever? Was Cuchulainn ot a unionist ?

seafoid

Quote from: Orior on July 05, 2017, 10:47:19 AM

The first one was after ONeill left which was 17th century. The parades and bonfires are symbols od domination, for which a majority is required. Groupthink is hard to tweak.

BenDover

Was over at Avoniel leisure centre today and there's a bonfire going up in the grounds there. Mad.

Taylor

With the added focus on the DUP now from the UK media you can be sure they will be trying to keep a lid on things this year.

armaghniac

Quote from: Taylor on July 05, 2017, 04:00:51 PM
With the added focus on the DUP now from the UK media you can be sure they will be trying to keep a lid on things this year.

The losers involved with these things haven't enough intelligence to be concerned with public relations.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

T Fearon

As a small child growing up in Portadown pre troubles I recall going to 11th night bonfires and I wasnt the only catholic.Too young to understand what it was about but got crisps and minerals like all the other kids and it seemed very harmless then compared to now.

I assume the working or unemployed class protestant insecurity factor now is manifest in bigger and bigger bonfires sadly.

tiempo

Quote from: T Fearon on July 05, 2017, 04:44:26 PM
As a small child growing up in Portadown pre troubles I recall going to 11th night bonfires and I wasnt the only catholic.Too young to understand what it was about but got crisps and minerals like all the other kids and it seemed very harmless then compared to now.

I assume the working or unemployed class protestant insecurity factor now is manifest in bigger and bigger bonfires sadly.

Dig it down deep throw it way out wide there Tone.

fmsfonline.org

T Fearon

I am also of the opinion that the Orange Order would be all but irrelevant now had SF's policy of protesting not revived an organisation whose membership had dwindled seriously in the early 90s.
Best thing to do with parades and bonfires is ignore them

red hander

Quote from: T Fearon on July 05, 2017, 07:34:53 PM
I am also of the opinion that the Orange Order would be all but irrelevant now had SF's policy of protesting not revived an organisation whose membership had dwindled seriously in the early 90s.

Croppies lie down, let them trail their coats and walk all over you. Aye, right. You talk of your experience in Portadown. I've family from the Tunnel and I know well what the people of Obins Street and Parkside had to put up with in the 70s/80s, and what the people of Garvaghy Road had to deal with in 90s. Around 25 years ago the RUC forced an Orange parade through the 100% nationalist Panda estate in Dungannon. The b**tards even broke down doors to arrest people waving tricolours from their own bedroom windows and charged them with behaviour likely to cause a breach of the peace ... needless to say the judge laughed the police out of court and dismissed the cases. The strong protests from locals that day, who were batoned off their own streets, ensured those f**kers never walked that route again

armaghniac

"Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing." John Stuart Mill
"When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle." Edmund Burke   
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

StGallsGAA

Quote from: red hander on July 05, 2017, 07:48:53 PM

Croppies lie down, let them trail their coats and walk all over you. Aye, right. You talk of your experience in Portadown. I've family from the Tunnel and I know well what the people of Obins Street and Parkside had to put up with in the 70s/80s, and what the people of Garvaghy Road had to deal with in 90s. Around 25 years ago the RUC forced an Orange parade through the 100% nationalist Panda estate in Dungannon. The b**tards even broke down doors to arrest people waving tricolours from their own bedroom windows and charged them with behaviour likely to cause a breach of the peace ... needless to say the judge laughed the police out of court and dismissed the cases. The strong protests from locals that day, who were batoned off their own streets, ensured those f**kers never walked that route again

There was a loyalist parade thru the Panda around 1992?  Seriously doubt that RH.