11th night bonfires

Started by Fear Boirche, June 20, 2007, 11:03:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

StGallsGAA

Quote from: red hander on July 05, 2017, 08:40:42 PM
Quote from: StGallsGAA on July 05, 2017, 08:32:22 PM
Quote from: red hander on July 05, 2017, 07:48:53 PM
Quote from: T Fearon on July 05, 2017, 07:34:53 PM
I am also of the opinion that the Orange Order would be all but irrelevant now had SF's policy of protesting not revived an organisation whose membership had dwindled seriously in the early 90s.
Best thing to do with parades and bonfires is ignore them

Croppies lie down, let them trail their coats and walk all over you. Aye, right. You talk of your experience in Portadown. I've family from the Tunnel and I know well what the people of Obins Street and Parkside had to put up with in the 70s/80s, and what the people of Garvaghy Road had to deal with in 90s. Around 25 years ago the RUC forced an Orange parade through the 100% nationalist Panda estate in Dungannon. The b**tards even broke down doors to arrest people waving tricolours from their own bedroom windows and charged them with behaviour likely to cause a breach of the peace ... needless to say the judge laughed the police out of court and dismissed the cases. The strong protests from locals that day, who were batoned off their own streets, ensured those f**kers never walked that route again

There was a loyalist parade thru the Panda around 1992?  Seriously doubt that RH.

It happened, forced down the Ballygawley Road towards their 'field', sparked rioting.

Ah OK. So it was a march along the Ballygawley Road past the Panda  rather than thru the estate itself?

The amount of bands and parades has more than trebled since Drumcree.  I'd agree that ignoring them would have been the best policy and by now they'd have mostly disappeared. 

T Fearon

armaghniac

Quote from: StGallsGAA on July 06, 2017, 08:51:38 AM
The amount of bands and parades has more than trebled since Drumcree.  I'd agree that ignoring them would have been the best policy and by now they'd have mostly disappeared.

Most marches are ignored. What proportion are contentious and opposed in any significant way?
Only the most egregious examples have been significantly changed.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

punt kick

I am also of the opinion that the Orange Order would be all but irrelevant now had SF's policy of protesting not revived an organisation whose membership had dwindled seriously in the early 90s.

Croppies lie down, let them trail their coats and walk all over you. Aye, right. You talk of your experience in Portadown. I've family from the Tunnel and I know well what the people of Obins Street and Parkside had to put up with in the 70s/80s, and what the people of Garvaghy Road had to deal with in 90s. Around 25 years ago the RUC forced an Orange parade through the 100% nationalist Panda estate in Dungannon. The b**tards even broke down doors to arrest people waving tricolours from their own bedroom windows and charged them with behaviour likely to cause a breach of the peace ... needless to say the judge laughed the police out of court and dismissed the cases. The strong protests from locals that day, who were batoned off their own streets, ensured those f**kers never walked that route again

There was a loyalist parade thru the Panda around 1992?  Seriously doubt that RH.

It happened, forced down the Ballygawley Road towards their 'field', sparked rioting.

Ah OK. So it was a march along the Ballygawley Road past the Panda  rather than thru the estate itself?

You are totally correct ignoring it would make it better.  It is common throughout history turning a blind eye is the best policy.

Ignoring clerical child abuse.
Ignoring the civil liberties of the nationalist community.
Ignoring North Korea's weapons program I am sure will work itself out.

So Ignoring triumphalist, sectarian bands hemming in the nationalist community in their own homes year after year I am sure it would have worked itself out, if only folk didn't take it too seriously and let the OO walk all over them, folk eh there is no accounting for them.  ::) 

T Fearon

Ignoring clerical child abuse? Ffs its in the news day and daily!

As for hemming in houses etc if there was no visible contention there would be no need for any security whatsoever.

Could be worse.We could be under the Dublin Govt which has pumped millions into an orange shrine at site of Battle of the Boyne.

punt kick

I am guessing you aren't the sharpest tool in the box!

Orior

There is also a world of difference between country lodges and those that come from towns and cities. Members of the latter are reared in a protestant cocoons which (as the Irish President once said) encourages hate of everything Irish.

Yesterday I had a look at the remnants of the bonfire on the carpark beside Holywood Arches in Belfast. Despite Macauley's retraction of earlier statements on Facebook there is still a sign in the car park saying "F#%* the Irish News"
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

seafoid

Quote from: Orior on July 06, 2017, 01:22:39 PM
There is also a world of difference between country lodges and those that come from towns and cities. Members of the latter are reared in a protestant cocoons which (as the Irish President once said) encourages hate of everything Irish.

Yesterday I had a look at the remnants of the bonfire on the carpark beside Holywood Arches in Belfast. Despite Macauley's retraction of earlier statements on Facebook there is still a sign in the car park saying "F#%* the Irish News"
Hatred of anything is about self and insecurity usually. Protestant identity should be built on something  less fragile. Nobody outside NI cares.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

T Fearon

It is typical  but wrong for outsiders to equate all protestants with the Orange Order or bonfires etc.The majority of protestants are embarrassed by it.

punt kick

Nearly as ridiculous as equating all Catholics with being Christian!

Taylor

Quote from: T Fearon on July 06, 2017, 02:42:05 PM
It is typical  but wrong for outsiders to equate all protestants with the Orange Order or bonfires etc.The majority of protestants are embarrassed by it.

Thats nonsense Tony as shown by the numbers that march and indeed attend the marches

T Fearon

Orange Order has 30,000 members out of a Protestant population of about 800,000.A lot of Protestants abhor them,and even Jackie Mc Donald said the 12th is a day he dreads,as it's the day young loyalists are most likely to get into trouble.

You don't see any bonfires or Arches in middle class areas.

Taylor

Quote from: T Fearon on July 06, 2017, 03:51:51 PM
Orange Order has 30,000 members out of a Protestant population of about 800,000.A lot of Protestants abhor them,and even Jackie Mc Donald said the 12th is a day he dreads,as it's the day young loyalists are most likely to get into trouble.

You don't see any bonfires or Arches in middle class areas.

Attend Tony. The number that attend. If you were so embarrassed why would you go to them?

BennyCake

Quote from: seafoid on July 06, 2017, 01:38:53 PM
Quote from: Orior on July 06, 2017, 01:22:39 PM

Hatred of anything is about self and insecurity usually. Protestant identity should be built on something  less fragile. Nobody outside NI cares.

Protestant identity has nothing else. If Catholics were driven from the North, everything associated with Protestants/Unionism would disappear as there would be nobody else there to offend or wind up. The whole bonfire, marching, flegs would become meaningless and eventually disappear.

red hander

Nitpicking. 100% nationalist area, Panda front row is on the Ballygawley Road, they were forced onto 100% nationalist Newell Road, past 100% nationalist Fairmount Park, and access from 100% nationalist Springdale, 100% nationalist Lisnahull and 100% nationalist Dalriada and 100% nationalist Donaghmore Road was blocked so these c***ts could coat-trail through the 100% nationalist West End to their field, which could have been easily reached via a non-contentious route