Dublin City

Started by Fear Bun Na Sceilpe, July 05, 2021, 10:39:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Spent a few days in Dublin last week.
Up and down quite a lot to matches last few years but hadnt stayed down, genuinely shocked at the amount of begging  the streets. I couldnt get over the dirt and rubbish either. All the usual places Phoenix Park, Zoo etc are very good but the streets around O'Connell Street and out at Hueston Station would make you sick

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on July 05, 2021, 10:39:15 AM
Up and down quite a lot to matches last few years but hadnt stayed down, genuinely shocked at the amount of begging  the streets. I couldnt get over the dirt and rubbish either. All the usual places Phoenix Park, Zoo etc are very good but the streets around O'Connell Street and out at Hueston Station would make you sick

Spend a bitta money and book nice hotel past the bridge  ;)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

trailer

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 05, 2021, 11:12:05 AM

I stay in a nice hotel off Grafton street when I go down, but the homeless people outside the Gaiety and the stink of pish would take the life from you. It is sad to see.
But I love Dublin. I love the buzz, the pints, the people. Some great wee bars and deadly nightlife. Some of the eating places are the best in the world. It's a great city but like London, New York, Barcelona and 100s more it has problems.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Yeah I noticed that-didn't stay in hotel however. But took the Luas out to the zoo as the wain liked that, minging(walk up to the park past the court), the smell of grass everywhere too. Tbh derry has seen big upsurge in street drinking ect in recent years,but definitely cleaner than Dublin. I love going down so was a bit disappointed

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on July 05, 2021, 11:35:30 AM

Yeah I noticed that-didn't stay in hotel however. But took the Luas out to the zoo as the wain liked that, minging(walk up to the park past the court), the smell of grass everywhere too. Tbh derry has seen big upsurge in street drinking ect in recent years,but definitely cleaner than Dublin. I love going down so was a bit disappointed

Well stay out of Belfast as its turned into a shit hole on the streets during the day, a lot of is down to the fact that the town center was closed nearly for over a year and they had the run of it without any checks.

There's not as many homeless its just easy for them to leave the hostel and pitch up outside some shop and beg for money for drink/drugs, not food, the peelers haven't the powers other than lift them move them on and they are back at the same spot 1 or 2 hours later.

when you create social housing for alcoholics on the steps of a city center then what do you expect?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 05, 2021, 11:41:42 AM

Well stay out of Belfast as its turned into a shit hole on the streets during the day, a lot of is down to the fact that the town center was closed nearly for over a year and they had the run of it without any checks.

There's not as many homeless its just easy for them to leave the hostel and pitch up outside some shop and beg for money for drink/drugs, not food, the peelers haven't the powers other than lift them move them on and they are back at the same spot 1 or 2 hours later.

when you create social housing for alcoholics on the steps of a city center then what do you expect?

Yes I agree there, same here in Derry, inner city streets given over to homeless, a lot moved in from other areas of NI

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on July 05, 2021, 11:53:48 AM

Yes I agree there, same here in Derry, inner city streets given over to homeless, a lot moved in from other areas of NI

You'll have ones from every town in the north moving to the city as there is better ops and living provided, I've heard plenty of Southern accents, no doubt plenty of northern accents in Dublin, taig drunks of course  ;D

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 05, 2021, 11:56:52 AM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on July 05, 2021, 11:53:48 AM

You'll have ones from every town in the north moving to the city as there is better ops and living provided, I've heard plenty of Southern accents, no doubt plenty of northern accents in Dublin, taig drunks of course  ;D

;D agreed.

imtommygunn

The smell of weed is considerably more apparent in Belfast than it used to be.

I think dublin would have a good few issues with substance abuse etc. If you go down round the docks in belfast you'll see a good bit of that too.

general_lee

Seen one or two floating around Belfast that seem to be on that spice stuff. It's really sad to see but at the same time they're ignorant bastards when they're not off their tits, the abuse you get for not giving them money!

laoislad

It's got worse since the first lockdown I think. The feral youth have taken it over since no one was going in because of the restrictions. Now that people are starting to go back into it these scrotes still think they have the run of the place.
Dublin City always had a problem with druggies but by in large they were so high they usually left you alone. These teenagers that are running amok at the moment are dangerous. They wouldn't think twice about sticking a knife in you. It's more than weed that their taking as well I'd say.
I've been going in and out for the city for the past 20 years, I definitely think it's getting worse. I try to avoid it now if I can. The brother is a Detective Sergeant in an inner city Garda station and he thinks it's getting worse also.
The Phoenix Park though as someone said is a gem of a place, I love it there and it's too far out for any of the real scrotes to go there.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

imtommygunn

Dunno if you saw that video doing the rounds on twitter the other week but it was probably backing up what you say with these 3 or 4 boys starting fights with bouncers(tbh they looked more like barstaff). If that was hanging about you wouldn't go near these places.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 05, 2021, 12:34:45 PM
Dunno if you saw that video doing the rounds on twitter the other week but it was probably backing up what you say with these 3 or 4 boys starting fights with bouncers(tbh they looked more like barstaff). If that was hanging about you wouldn't go near these places.

That's why I'll wait for indoor dining to come back before heading down, that video was rotten, doesn't reflect well on the place

imtommygunn

You wouldn't want to be anywhere near that. The ideal result was some of them got a hiding and had to move on but that didn't happen. It didn't look like an overly safe environment tbh.