Belfast

Started by Dougal Maguire, November 25, 2018, 12:34:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dougal Maguire

What about Lord Hamill's Hamburgers
Careful now

Harold Disgracey

Is the kebab van still operating outside the Bot?

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on November 27, 2018, 01:11:58 AM
Quote from: paddyjohn on November 26, 2018, 11:29:53 PM
Haha.. That's very true! Sometimes I wonder how we got away with half the stuff we did and if my own kids were up to it, I'd clash them!
No mobile phones with cameras & no social media to post such pics on the Internet 15 seconds after it's taken. What went on in the Holyland stayed in the Holyland. Unless you got herpes.

Thank f**k!  Some of the antics along Wolsley street circa 1995-98 are best dealt with through hazy memory and retelling of ever more elaborate tales as the memory fades and embellishments increase😂. 

I also wish to refute any arguments that's Julie's Kitchen was a stink hole.....many's the breakfast I had in there and it did me no harm!!!!!

take_yer_points

Dukes was popular for a while in the early noughties, not too sure how long that lasted.

The Hatfield changed from having a few students in supping over a few pints to being packed back then too. Remember toss the boss or something, you flipped a coin and if you won your next round was free. Roy giving bad manners serving up pints and cruncher playing a couple of nights a week.

Orpheus was the bar in behind the holiday Inn and the nightclub downstairs was the Underworld. They used to have foam parties in it.

Last I heard Decky (McFerran I think) from renshaws was in Oz. Sanj opened the Black Box in the Odyssey, that might be why they let renshaws go.

Great memories

bogball88

Renshaws-impossible to get thrown out of the place, anything went

markl121

Was in the Hatfield recently at about noon on a Sunday for old times sake. There were lads doing cocaine in the toilet. What happened?

screenexile

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on November 27, 2018, 07:40:45 AM
Haha.. That's very true! Sometimes I wonder how we got away with half the stuff we did and if my own kids were up to it, I'd clash them!
No mobile phones with cameras & no social media to post such pics on the Internet 15 seconds after it's taken. What went on in the Holyland stayed in the Holyland. Unless you got herpes.

Thank f**k!  Some of the antics along Wolsley street circa 1995-98 are best dealt with through hazy memory and retelling of ever more elaborate tales as the memory fades and embellishments increase😂. 

I also wish to refute any arguments that's Julie's Kitchen was a stink hole.....many's the breakfast I had in there and it did me no harm!!!!!

I didn't think Julies Kitchen did breakfast?? Are you thinking about Helen's Bakery on Ormeau?? "What's yours love?"

Don Johnson

Quote from: bogball88 on November 27, 2018, 08:45:03 AM
Renshaws-impossible to get thrown out of the place, anything went

I know a fella that got thrown out then carried back in by the bouncers the same night.

trailer

Quote from: Harold Disgracey on November 27, 2018, 07:12:00 AM
Is the kebab van still operating outside the Bot?

Jesus that's right. Mind actually going up to it a few nights even though we weren't out.

trailer

Quote from: screenexile on November 27, 2018, 09:12:44 AM

I didn't think Julies Kitchen did breakfast?? Are you thinking about Helen's Bakery on Ormeau?? "What's yours love?"

Helen's bakery was a great spot.
There was a gaff on Stranmillis upstairs like a B&B room. It did a nice fry, anyone mind the name of it?

The Bearded One

This thread is bringing back some great memories. Late teens and early 20s at UUJ then spent a few years living and working in Belfast and most of the aforementioned hostelries and eateries were either regular haunts or have been visited.

Renshaws was unbelievable craic at that time, no matter what time of the day you were sure of a party. Many a day I walked past that big front window heading to the UUJ bus hoping someone I knew would be sitting there willing me in, the bus was missed and the session commenced. My week usually consisted of Monday Renshaws then Queens Union, Tuesday home for training then back to Renshaws or in later years the Beach Club, Wednesday always the Bot and Thursday was depending on the form...a few quiet ones or else a full on party.

I think the Centra on Botanic is worth a mention for the food discussion, the best and biggest filled sandwiches and rolls about!
It is what it is. Presumably.

Aughafad

What about the 24hr filling station on the lower ormeau, savage queues late at night just to get a dry sandwich and bottle of coke. its a GP surgery now.

DownFanatic

Monday night - Queen's Union. Used to be huge lines to get in. Parlour sometimes got a hit. Double vodka and Red Bull was £4 at the time.
Tuesday - Limelight was always a good shout. Out of date bottles of Tennants for £1 IIRC.
Wednesday - Bot. Upstairs was usually carnage. Used to get handy entry up the fire escape at the back on the odd occasion.
Thursday - Always changed. Renshaws. Odd venture to the Beach Club. Skye had a crowd for awhile. There was also a place down University St that had a serious crowd around 2006/07. I think it used to be the Orpheus back in the day but it had changed its name around this time. Anybody recall it?

Spudz got hit for food on many occasion. Temps was an odd place. The man who rapped your order. You could also write on the walls. Esperantos beside the Globe done a decent kebab. And the Emerald's delivery service was second to none.

tyrone girl

Helens bakery the memories !!! Also Baracuda chippy on the Ormeau Road

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: screenexile on November 27, 2018, 09:12:44 AM

I never said what time breakfast was at nor what I had for breakfast!!!  A lot of the time it was the left over chicken box from the night before that was sitting on the bedside cabinet 😂