Mid life crisis

Started by The Iceman, July 26, 2018, 08:20:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Iceman

I went home earlier in July to Armagh and was home the year before that too. Something I noticed and I suppose I'm experiencing a bit of it myself is the scary realization that life is moving very fast, time is precious and lots of men (and maybe women too) around the age of 40 are having a bit of a mid life crisis and wondering if they chose the right path. I've changed jobs recently in to a brand new industry.  Some friends at home have done the same. I also see the negative side of things with people ending their marriages in the hope for something better....

I find myself concerned more about time.  Missed opportunities to spend time with my aging parents or missed opportunities to spend time with my kids.  My job change hopefully will provide more work/life balance and afford me more time at home and less travelling for work. But I still wonder what else I can do.

Anyone in the same boat?
#GaaBoardTherapy
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Milltown Row2

I think it's very even with regards to mid life crisis, as many women go through it as men..

Is the grass greener

Married to early, and actually have grown out of him/her

New job

Extra money

Children leaving  the nest, lost sense of purpose

Bored of each other and not willing to compromise or work on it

Any one of the above or a combination will surely be met with a mid life crisis, if you get married early 20's you both aren't the same person come 45, I've some friends/relatives that have been through the worst and now starting over again, which isn't smooth.

If I'm honest I'd say most people go through it, but once you're through it you're on the home straight!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Substandard

Quote from: The Iceman on July 26, 2018, 08:20:31 PM
I went home earlier in July to Armagh and was home the year before that too. Something I noticed and I suppose I'm experiencing a bit of it myself is the scary realization that life is moving very fast, time is precious and lots of men (and maybe women too) around the age of 40 are having a bit of a mid life crisis and wondering if they chose the right path. I've changed jobs recently in to a brand new industry.  Some friends at home have done the same. I also see the negative side of things with people ending their marriages in the hope for something better....

I find myself concerned more about time.  Missed opportunities to spend time with my aging parents or missed opportunities to spend time with my kids.  My job change hopefully will provide more work/life balance and afford me more time at home and less travelling for work. But I still wonder what else I can do.

Anyone in the same boat?
#GaaBoardTherapy

In the same age bracket, and its a bit stark looking back: 20 year old me would not be impressed with the way things turned out.
That said, you improvise as you go along, and I often think of Robert Frost's 'The Road Not Taken' when looking back to see how I got here.
Best of luck with it all, especially the work-life balance, spending time with kids and parents.  Every minute is an investment in memories.

The Iceman

Thankfully the marriage is in great shape, then again we're only married 11 years, but I'm hopeful we will stay the course.

I think my priorities have shifted as I approach 40.  Time is my most valuable asset.  I don't have many regrets because I see each mistake or wrong turn as part of the journey to today.  Like anyone I often wonder what if....

My observation in my own life and some lads I know in similar boats from the same year in school even, is we all want more time. Or better use of the time we have. And we all recognize there has to be more to life than running the hamster wheel, commuting to major cities for stressful jobs, keeping up appearances and worrying what others think/say about you...

The 40's will hopefully be a great decade for those of us facing or in them. Where we make decisions to give us more time to do the things that matter and worry less about the things that don't.....
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

ONeill

Stop thinking.

You've lived longer than you have years left. Be grateful. Eat and drink more. Push the boundaries. Just fcuk it as far as you can. But be nice too. Tell people they've left their windee open and stuff.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Jeepers Creepers

Remember reading a saying on a wall 'Time and Tide wait for no man'. I must have stared at this for about 15 minutes or more as it made me think of what had gone behind me and what was in front. I often wonder what if  studied more, payed more attention at school etc etc. Tell myself to catch myself on.
Ive been there and done that but now the same age bracket as yourself, small kids, good marriage, a decent job (that i could take or leave), its the small things in life that I want and cherish. spending alot of time with kids, my folks and if i get a few pints with the mates once in a bluemoon then even better.

Insane Bolt

Tomorrow marks 37 years with the same woman😎 I count my blessings, because I wouldn't have put up with myself for 37 minutes. The single biggest regret I have is that I didn't spend enough time with the kids when they were smaller.....you can never get that back. My advice is enjoy life....you never know what tomorrow brings. Don't get caught up with material things....you'll never starve....especially if you are from Armagh😜.

Jeepers Creepers

Quote from: hardstation on July 26, 2018, 09:57:48 PM
Stop reading how great some cnut's life is on Facebook and tell your wife to do the same. Their life is as big a pile a ballix as yours. They just don't put that on Facebook.

quit yo jibbajabba

Quote from: Jeepers Creepers on July 26, 2018, 09:58:29 PM
Stop reading how great some cnut's life is on Facebook and tell your wife to do the same. Their life is as big a pile a ballix as yours. They just don't put that on Facebook.

Shared

Milltown Row2

I think a mid life crisis has been going on long before fb
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

redzone

Sex at least 3 times a week. Minimum

Milltown Row2

Jeepers Creepers

Quote from: redzone on July 26, 2018, 10:33:37 PM

Take your boasting elsewhere!!

Orior

And don't let the wife know.

But seriously, I've never been as busy ever in my life. I actually thought as I got older and with technology then I would have had more free time. No.

Be thankful for a woman that lets you follow your county, play golf, cycle, meet mates for a night away, work late etc etc
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 26, 2018, 10:42:10 PM

With the mistress

He's into group stuff....Palm and her 5 sisters!!!