Irish Language Act. Is the only thing stopping Stormont sitting

Started by Denn Forever, October 30, 2017, 11:52:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyCake

What has the GFA actually done for the ordinary Joe in the North? I'd hazard a guess and say feck all.

armaghniac

Quote from: BennyCake on October 30, 2017, 08:07:30 PM
What has the GFA actually done for the ordinary Joe in the North? I'd hazard a guess and say feck all.

It wasn't great before that, so I'd say it did a lot of good.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Eamonnca1

My Dad used to take a different road to work every morning as a safety precaution against being shot for being a catholic.  If he were still working I don't think he'd have to do that.  Sounds like a big difference to me.

BennyCake

Quote from: armaghniac on October 30, 2017, 08:36:19 PM

It wasn't great before that, so I'd say it did a lot of good.

Ceasefire was before GFA though.

Eamonnca1

imtommygunn

The gfa agreement has done untold good for the north.

The only thing is the pricks have been on the gravy train from it and have done nothing useful ever since - and that is the lot of them not just one side!

TabClear

Quote from: imtommygunn on October 30, 2017, 09:10:56 PM
The gfa agreement has done untild good for the north.

The only thing is the pricks have been on the gravy train from it and have done nothing useful ever since - and that is the lot of them not just one side!

What he said. Anyone who thinks the gfa has done nothing for everyone in the north is either lucky enough to be young enough not to have experienced the worst times or doesn't appreciate just how much has changed.

The politicians are a shower of c***ts with very few exceptions

armaghniac

Brokenshire has announced 3 days of time added on for stoppages.
Still time for a final score?

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

T Fearon

brokencrossbar1

This is the final final deadline.....until the next final final deadline 😂

armaghniac

I think he'll have to pass a budget shortly. Which might suit those in the talks. .

seafoid

The GFA was 20 years ago. It did a reasonable job. NI politics now seems to be more GFY. Go f#ck yourself.
Maybe NI needs a new settlement to reflect the relative weightings of nationalists and unionists. The statelet will need new symbols to reflect what is happening....
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Seany

First point. The ILA act is not about the Irish language. It's essentially about forcing the unionists to actually accept that there is another community in NI who do not subscribe to GB values and who now make up about 50% of the population. Remember when they ruled NI themselves, there wasn't one RC employed in the civil service in Derry and they even managed to redraw boundaries to ensure they had a majority. Catholics didn't have the vote and peaceful attempts to change this with the civil rights saw them being battered off the streets and eventually Bloody Sunday. In forty years of Stormont Rule, a nationalist Mp only once got a bill passed (The Wild Birds Bill 1939). One bill in 40 years. Everywhere you look, there are sinister symbols of Britishness; Carson statue, the Holy Land streets, named after British colonies which they took with much bloodshed, Ireton St, named after Cromwell's son in law who created a famine in 1651 when he besieged Limerick. If youy think that's all old crusty history, just look at a decision made TODAY! Around the NI soccer team who have applied to wear poppies on their jerseys in their play off match. A total ingoring of the fact that 50% of the population and rising were the greatest victims of the very imperialism it seeks to triumph. SF did their best to plough on, keeping the thing going Martin McGuinness particularly, but the DUP couldn't help themselves. They protested violently side by side with loyalist murderers when a democratic vote was taken to take the union jack down from the City Hall on all but designated days, in line with UK. That flag shouldn't be up anywhere unless the tricolour is beside it, if there was true recognition of the Irish identity, but these people actually think it should be flying over a city that hasn't even a unionist majority any more. They changed the name of the NI boat from Banríon Uladh, to the Queen of Ulster, a proactive act of sectarion bigotry, they got rid of the Líofa grants to gaeltacht students etc etc etc.

It is not necessarily SF who is pushing this, but their voters who have told them on every single consultation to hold firm. The last consultation took place last Monday night among non activist nationalist business people. It took place in Belfast (Malone Lodge Hotel). They were told by that highly educated, well connected group of what would pass for SDLP voters not to move one muscle towards the executive until the ILA and other demands are met.

johnneycool

Quote from: Seany on October 31, 2017, 11:03:22 AM
First point. The ILA act is not about the Irish language. It's essentially about forcing the unionists to actually accept that there is another community in NI who do not subscribe to GB values and who now make up about 50% of the population. Remember when they ruled NI themselves, there wasn't one RC employed in the civil service in Derry and they even managed to redraw boundaries to ensure they had a majority. Catholics didn't have the vote and peaceful attempts to change this with the civil rights saw them being battered off the streets and eventually Bloody Sunday. In forty years of Stormont Rule, a nationalist Mp only once got a bill passed (The Wild Birds Bill 1939). One bill in 40 years. Everywhere you look, there are sinister symbols of Britishness; Carson statue, the Holy Land streets, named after British colonies which they took with much bloodshed, Ireton St, named after Cromwell's son in law who created a famine in 1651 when he besieged Limerick. If youy think that's all old crusty history, just look at a decision made TODAY! Around the NI soccer team who have applied to wear poppies on their jerseys in their play off match. A total ingoring of the fact that 50% of the population and rising were the greatest victims of the very imperialism it seeks to triumph. SF did their best to plough on, keeping the thing going Martin McGuinness particularly, but the DUP couldn't help themselves. They protested violently side by side with loyalist murderers when a democratic vote was taken to take the union jack down from the City Hall on all but designated days, in line with UK. That flag shouldn't be up anywhere unless the tricolour is beside it, if there was true recognition of the Irish identity, but these people actually think it should be flying over a city that hasn't even a unionist majority any more. They changed the name of the NI boat from Banríon Uladh, to the Queen of Ulster, a proactive act of sectarion bigotry, they got rid of the Líofa grants to gaeltacht students etc etc etc.

It is not necessarily SF who is pushing this, but their voters who have told them on every single consultation to hold firm. The last consultation took place last Monday night among non activist nationalist business people. It took place in Belfast (Malone Lodge Hotel). They were told by that highly educated, well connected group of what would pass for SDLP voters not to move one muscle towards the executive until the ILA and other demands are met.

Without going into all the details, I'd be in agreement with you in that the ILA is the straw to break the camels back for the shinners and Stormont