The Open 2017

Started by Boycey, July 17, 2017, 01:45:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

leaveherinsir

Screen. Granted the range maybe in bounds normally but it is the way these pros get drops away from all the associated trappings of tv coverage spectating etc that doesnt sit comfortably with me. That is why they should look at making these either part of the course or OB.
Boycey. Speith stated himself someting to the effect he was happy the way he handled the situation in terms of taking his time. Or poor ettiquette if you prefer! Again nothing will be done to stop slow play bar the odd "hurry it up lads"from the officials.

Puckoon

Quote from: leaveherinsir on July 24, 2017, 10:02:11 PM
Quote from: Puckoon on July 24, 2017, 09:35:50 PM
Quote from: leaveherinsir on July 24, 2017, 09:16:23 PM
I know Speith used the rules to his maximum advantage to get the most advantageous drop on 13th. However that aside I was always taught there was a spirit to the rules of golf. I would go as far to say he was allowed to break that spirit. Surely the powers that be need to look at the way the pros get these drops in tournament play. I remember D.Johnson getting a free drop from thick US Open rough last year because a tv tower was in his line of sight. He proceeded to drop the ball on an adjacent fairway and hit over the tower onto the green. Could they not make all the trappings that go with tv coverage part of the course. They are already getting an advantage of trampled down rough in many cases as it is. I think the less opportunity they have to put their hand on the ball in open play the better. This rant aside glad to say I had Speith and Kuchar both done e/w.

The crux of the bolded is that the rules of golf do not exist to solely be used to disadvantage a player. There are usually options in any given rule and you are allowed to use them to your advantage. Using a rule to your advantage is not against the spirit of the game or the rules.
Im not suggesting the rules should disadvantage a player. However in the 3 options he had he clearly was allowed to bend the rule keeping the ball, its original position and the flag in a straight line. If he wants to drop the ball in between the trucks then play it from there after. I am suggesting the rule is imo wrong as it stands and thus is against the spirit it was intended in. And dont get me started on the length of time he takes generally :)

Unfortunately - your only recourse is to buy a DeLorean and scoot back in time to when things were different and we didn't have tv towers and trucks and grandstands etc...  :)

Sprinkler heads, power boxes, cart paths, concession stands at the turn are all only adding to complicate the rules. Sometimes they help, sometimes they don't. Depends on your perspective. If I get to take my penalty drop from a bush onto a cart path and then use the free relief from said cart path to bring me back onto the course side of the course (i.e. out of the shit on the other side of the cart path), then I don't consider that to be against the spirit of the game or the rules. I've paid my penalty with the unplayable lie rule when I take my drop so at that moment in time that rule has passed and my ball is back in play. Now I get to avail of another rule which entitles me to my stance and swing cart path relief. If I was smart enough to ensure that the course side of the cart path is my closest point of relief - then bingo.

There will be days when the option to replay the shot will trump the entry point line and distance choice, and days when the entry point and distance choice will trump replaying it, or taking 2 club lengths.

leaveherinsir

Aye back in time to an age of

No range finders
A single 150 to the middle stone if you were lucky
Woods that stopped at 5
Irons that started at 1

Now that was a game. :)

P.s. Liked this article!

https://www.nationalclubgolfer.com/2017/07/26/birkdale-links-golf-lost/