Would you subscribe to dedicated RTE Sports Channel?

Started by Dinny Breen, July 14, 2017, 04:31:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

No chance I have an android box so would watch it there
17 (51.5%)
Yes €10-20 a month
12 (36.4%)
Yes €30-40 a month
3 (9.1%)
Yes €50 a month
1 (3%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Voting closed: July 17, 2017, 04:31:38 PM

Capt Pat

Quote from: Kilkevan on July 14, 2017, 04:40:47 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 14, 2017, 04:31:38 PM
So if RTE had a dedicated sports channel/s with exclusive rights to all GAA club and county, all Rugby PRO12/European and International, League of Ireland and International Soccer, Horse Racing, Basketball, Cricket, Show Jumping, Athletics, Cycling, Boxing, Rowing etc etc would you pay for the service?

I already do, it's called a TV licence  ;D.
+1

The only reason for getting the licence is the GAA coverage.

Rossfan

Quote from: seafoid on July 15, 2017, 12:42:56 AM
Quote from: Rossfan on July 15, 2017, 12:26:28 AM
Quote from: Syferus on July 14, 2017, 10:37:27 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on July 14, 2017, 06:32:55 PM
No but if TG4 had a dedicated GAA channel I would.

Hell no. The Irish language is dead, please stop trying to attach jumper cables to its nipples and let it rot in peace.
Feck off you Seóinín. Why do some people hate their heritage so much.
You really and truly have sank to a new low with that disgusting post.
How any Ros person, home of An Craoibhinn Aoibhin himself can diss 3,000 years of cultural heritage..... :'(
I wouldn't be surprised if you're descended from informers.
Nár laga Dia thú.
Maith an fear a Sheafóidín.
An Ghaeilge Abú.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Kilkevan

TG4's GAA coverage is the best out there in terms of what it covers. I would like to see it add a red button option with an English language commentary available. Before the as Gaeilge speakers jump on me, I grew up in Wales a dw i'n siarad Cymraeg so I have nothing but affection for Gaelic but don't understand it. S4C's rugby coverage is superb but they also have the red button option outlined above, at least during play, the pre and post analysis is yn y Gymraeg. I don't need it with S4C but I do know others who use it and as both S4C and TG4 are both for the same purpose, to promote the native language, it makes me wonder why TG4 don't operate a similar system.

Rossfan

And equally a button to choose to have or not have sub titles.
Sub titles are most annoying when you don't need them.
Mind you when some of the Donegal folks are ag labhairt  I need them!
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Main Street

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 15, 2017, 12:47:00 AM
Quote from: Main Street on July 14, 2017, 10:36:34 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 14, 2017, 09:46:30 PM
So 40% say they will use a dodgy box instead of paying, hmmm if that's the future sport on TV will die, no advertising no subscriptions no money to pay costs...
That's playing dumb Dinny.
If people already have a dodgy box they will continue to use it until it serves little purpose.

The question is for  future intentions of the general public, would you be willing to pay €10 - 20 p/m etc for a dedicated rte sports channel which shows everything,
or would you chose to buy an android box and/or set up your own IPTV access for €10 p/m which also shows everything?

How many subscribers would a dedicated Irish sports channel need in order to attract enough advertising and cover the total costs?
How many subscribers would be wiling to chose an online RTE  sports sub and how many would chose other RTE broadcast sports sub alternatives?

Would RTE be selling subs to a specific channel/s  which has everything,  or selling subs to packages, e.g.  a rugby, bowls and croquet package for a fiver?

How about another poll,
would you prefer GAA sports on
a.  FTA channels only,  RTE  TV3 TG4
or
b. RTE, TG4 and pay a hefty sub for the TV3 package which will now be broadcast by Sky?

It's only a feeler not a dissertation.
Perhaps you should research dissertations before putting out erroneous feelers and conclusions :)

Kilkevan

Quote from: Rossfan on July 15, 2017, 11:13:42 AM

The subtitles are great for those of us with little or no Gaelic as a lot of TG4's documentaries are top notch but I know what you mean. I speak Italian and French as well and if I'm watching a movie from Italy or France with someone who doesn't speak the languages I have to try hard to ignore the subtitles. TG4's and S4C's programming show what can be achieved on tight budgets though so why RTÉ throw out so much dross is confusing.

Owen Brannigan

So 40% say they will use a dodgy box instead of paying, hmmm if that's the future sport on TV will die, no advertising no subscriptions no money to pay costs...

There seems to be a move afoot by sports organisations to begin a bypass of the TV providers because of the android boxes.  The golf authorities in US have not renewed the rights for SKY to show the PGA or US Open, they are looking at a newer model than TV which will encompass social media.  Similarly the football authorities are looking at other options than Sky and BT for the next round of the premier league sales.  It would appear that these bodies are going to bypass the broadcaster and use broadband to sell the broadcast directly to the user.  The android boxes seem to be the driving force for these changes.

seafoid

Quote from: Kilkevan on July 15, 2017, 11:57:28 AM
Quote from: Rossfan on July 15, 2017, 11:13:42 AM

The subtitles are great for those of us with little or no Gaelic as a lot of TG4's documentaries are top notch but I know what you mean. I speak Italian and French as well and if I'm watching a movie from Italy or France with someone who doesn't speak the languages I have to try hard to ignore the subtitles. TG4's and S4C's programming show what can be achieved on tight budgets though so why RTÉ throw out so much dross is confusing.
I honestly think it is about the target market.
If you look at newspapers the Herald wouldn't give as much info as the Indo,  which wouldn't be as informative as the Irish Times. RTE is the TV equivalent of the Herald.

A lot of people on this site would be happy to get GAA news intravenously but that is a bit of an outlier for the RTE audience.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Kilkevan

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on July 15, 2017, 12:02:34 PM

There seems to be a move afoot by sports organisations to begin a bypass of the TV providers because of the android boxes.  The golf authorities in US have not renewed the rights for SKY to show the PGA or US Open, they are looking at a newer model than TV which will encompass social media.  Similarly the football authorities are looking at other options than Sky and BT for the next round of the premier league sales.  It would appear that these bodies are going to bypass the broadcaster and use broadband to sell the broadcast directly to the user.  The android boxes seem to be the driving force for these changes.

It's the next stage in home entertainment certainly but the Android boxes will just develop to keep up. There's money to be made from illegal streaming and torrenting otherwise people wouldn't do it. It's like the war on drugs, so long as there are people around who are willing to make a few quid through unscrupulous means, illegal streaming and torrenting will continue.

magpie seanie

None of the above. Don't have an android box and would be unwilling to pay RTE any more money until their coverage of gaelic football radically improves. The best thing about RTE is Radio 1. The TV stations are poor enough.

thebigfella

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on July 15, 2017, 12:02:34 PM

Us open and PGA is run by two different organisations. The PGA of America didn't accept their offer to renew the rights.

It's certainly not a decision made because of Kodi etc.... Whether they choose to go with an online distribution channel, the illegal streams will still be available.

joebloggs

A sports channel would be interesting to a lot of people in this country but there are a number of issues, mainly price and ease of access.

There are so many services now offering different content and all want monthly subscriptions. For the regular viewer, the content is spread over so many services, that people are out a lot of money before they can actually access what they want to see. The big reason why the "android boxes" are winning is because the content is easily accessible in one place. People have one device that supplies them with all of the content, they don't need to pay a fortune to a variety of different providers and manage all of the subscriptions - one "android box" gives them everything.

A lot of people would be happy to pay for the content if priced reasonably and easily accessible. Media companies need to look at how they are offering the content to viewers and how the services can be coordinated if they really want to stamp out the business being lost to "android boxes"

Who in their right mind is going to pay €50 on top of everything for a sports channel provided by RTE.

An Fhairche Abu

No. I would be interested in subscribing to a dedicated GAA channel but not one that would be associated with, or run by RTE. I'm not a fan of their stale, predictable, negative and sometimes contrarian for the sake of it GAA coverage.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on July 17, 2017, 04:31:53 PM

No. I would be interested in subscribing to a dedicated GAA channel but not one that would be associated with, or run by RTE. I'm not a fan of their stale, predictable, negative and sometimes contrarian for the sake of it GAA coverage.

I agree. RTE's response to competition from other networks is to have their pundits lambast the fact that they have competition from other networks. You'd think they'd have responded by upping their game.

Minder

USPGA will he shown live on BBC  this year, so hold fire on all these unique viewer models
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"