Flight delay compensation

Started by Dougal Maguire, July 12, 2017, 12:19:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kilkevan

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on July 13, 2017, 01:52:05 PM
Quote from: T Fearon on July 13, 2017, 01:44:53 PM
Good luck with getting money from.Ryanair.More chance of Nelson Mc Causland being next Pope.
or Willie Frazer becoming next manager of Whitecross GFC. You're correct and I'm not going to bother pursuing anything.

Do you want me to see if I have anything from the company who looked after my compensation? All I had to do was fill in a few details, took about five minutes, and then they looked after the rest. Took a good while, maybe 12 months but out of the blue I got a cheque from Ryanair.

magpie seanie

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on July 13, 2017, 12:05:56 PM
How lng were you delayed? Mine was 2 and a half hours and I'm told it would have to be 3. What company did you use?

I used AirHelp. They're taking a big chunk of commission (25%) but they seem clear that I'm due the €600 per person. Our flights took off on time but after 2 hours was turned around and went back to Dublin. The next morning we got a flight to Manchester and then onwards to our destination with a different airline. Was travelling with wife, 2 kids and my two parents. It was brutal to say the least. We were approximately 30 hours late arriving.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: magpie seanie on July 14, 2017, 04:26:44 PM
How lng were you delayed? Mine was 2 and a half hours and I'm told it would have to be 3. What company did you use?

I used AirHelp. They're taking a big chunk of commission (25%) but they seem clear that I'm due the €600 per person. Our flights took off on time but after 2 hours was turned around and went back to Dublin. The next morning we got a flight to Manchester and then onwards to our destination with a different airline. Was travelling with wife, 2 kids and my two parents. It was brutal to say the least. We were approximately 30 hours late arriving.
THAT is definitely worth compensating unlike these other cry babies  :'(.

I take it there were issues with the plane?

Dougal Maguire

Thanks for that worthwhile contribution. Have you nothing better to be at.
Careful now

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on July 14, 2017, 05:15:28 PM
Thanks for that worthwhile contribution. Have you nothing better to be at.
When I'm addressing you directly I'll let you know.

Dougal Maguire

Comments still valid regardless of who it was directed at.
Careful now

Asal Mor

Quote from: Tony Baloney on July 14, 2017, 05:10:14 PM

With you there Tony. If everyone was as litigious as some on here, the cost of flying would be so prohibitive that only millionaires would be able to leave the country.

Kilkevan

Quote from: Asal Mor on July 15, 2017, 08:17:21 AM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on July 14, 2017, 05:10:14 PM

With you there Tony. If everyone was as litigious as some on here, the cost of flying would be so prohibitive that only millionaires would be able to leave the country.

The law states that if a flight is delayed by three hours or more the passenger should receive €250. In essence, the moment a flight is delayed by 180 minutes the €250 becomes the property of the passenger. That the airlines try to make it difficult for the passenger to receive his/her money is where the difficulty arises. There's nothing litigious about trying to get hold of your property.

Dougal Maguire

I think Fr Fintan Stack's description of Fr Ted's 2 friends would be appropriate to those2 guys
Careful now

Kilkevan

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on July 15, 2017, 04:42:08 PM
I think Fr Fintan Stack's description of Fr Ted's 2 friends would be appropriate to those2 guys

Lol... I'm going to throw a whacky idea out there... Michael O'Leary and other airline bosses might be, just might, aware of the legislation. I'm going to guess they also know the average amount of flights which are delayed by three hours or more. With this information to hand maybe, only maybe now, they calculate how much extra they need to be making per flight to cover themselves in these eventualities and possibly, slight possibility here, slap that fee onto a variety of tickets. Then they pay the passengers their due compensation to the passengers who kick up enough of a stink and pocket the rest as further profit.

Call me sceptical but the O'Learys of this world don't strike me as buck eejits.

Asal Mor

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on July 15, 2017, 04:42:08 PM
I think you need some new pop culture references.

David McKeown

I've found it strange how different airlines handle these situations. My wife and I were delayed on BA flight that had to make an emergency landing. The captain walked through the plane to tell us we would all get compensation and to give out the address. When I claimed BA eventually agreed to pay my compensation after about 3 months but wouldn't pay for my now wife unless she claimed separately (even though I paid for both flights). Owing to currency flucations she got more money than I did too.

Got delayed about 8 hours flying to Manchester last September. Flight was on a Friday and EasyJet paid my compensation by the Tuesday morning and I didn't even need to make a claim. They paid me for both mine and my wife's compensation with no difficulty.

Aer Lingus then cancelled my flight in April. They have no phone number to ring to complain, no direct email address and have taken weeks on end to reply to correspondence. I've now had to involve a solicitor (it's about more than just compensation for the delay) and issued proceedings against them during the week.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

TabClear

Quote from: David McKeown on July 16, 2017, 12:15:27 AM
I've found it strange how different airlines handle these situations. My wife and I were delayed on BA flight that had to make an emergency landing. The captain walked through the plane to tell us we would all get compensation and to give out the address. When I claimed BA eventually agreed to pay my compensation after about 3 months but wouldn't pay for my now wife unless she claimed separately (even though I paid for both flights). Owing to currency flucations she got more money than I did too.

Got delayed about 8 hours flying to Manchester last September. Flight was on a Friday and EasyJet paid my compensation by the Tuesday morning and I didn't even need to make a claim. They paid me for both mine and my wife's compensation with no difficulty.

Aer Lingus then cancelled my flight in April. They have no phone number to ring to complain, no direct email address and have taken weeks on end to reply to correspondence. I've now had to involve a solicitor (it's about more than just compensation for the delay) and issued proceedings against them during the week.

Aer  Lingus and BA are effectively the same stable with Iberia under the IAG hold Co.  The likes of easyjet might take the old quin insurance approach. Settle what you have to as quickly as possible and minimise administration overheads. Depends on the company weighing up the advantages of dragging it out and people not bothering to claim against the higher administration cost and potential higher pay outs if solicitors etc get involved

Kilkevan

Quote from: Tony Baloney on July 16, 2017, 12:57:08 AM
  http://jrnl.ie/3484226

Ryanair does make it awkward for claims companies. However, they make it impossible for customers. After my Manchester flight I sent an email to Ryanair outlining why I was due compensation and promptly received an email telling me, in slightly politer terms, to f**k off. That's when I went to the claims company. It took them months of chasing Ryanair before I got a series of letters from Ryanair saying they wouldn't deal with the claims company but were looking into it. I replied saying I was dealing with it through the claims company and was forwarding all communication to them. I reckoned what Ryanair were at was trying to get me to drop things with the claims company so they could deal with me as an individual and revert to f**k off. Out of the blue I got a cheque from Ryanair. Now there's no way I would have had the energy to keep chasing Ryanair as the claims company did nor do I believe Ryanair's response would ever have differed from the original.

Anyway, what Ryanair are at in securing the home court decision is obvious... In most cases the compensation wouldn't be worthwhile for someone who had to travel over to Ireland, probably stay over, and then return. Essentially they are trying to put the passenger in a situation where it doesn't pay them to chase the compensation so they drop the claim anyway.