Flight delay compensation

Started by Dougal Maguire, July 12, 2017, 12:19:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dougal Maguire

Sitting on a Ryanair plane due to depart from Rome to Dublin. We're 2 hours late departing and now have to change plane as some guy scraped the side of the plane with the baggage loading machine. I'm curtailing my annoyance by convincing myself that if we're 3 hours late we'll be eligible for compensation. Is this the case?
Careful now

Rois

Just applied for compensation myself from Aer Lingus.  If you are over two hours late for a flight under 1,500km (I think) and 3hrs for further, then you should be entitled.
The airlines don't make it easy for you to do it - I had to hunt and hunt on the website.
I think you get €250.

You can only get it if the airline didn't take all reasonable steps.  They may catch you out on that bit.  Def try - there's European legislation on it.   

Kilkevan

I had the same thing leaving Manchester for Dublin with Ryanair. They put up a brick wall so I reverted to a no-win no-fee service, there are plenty to be found by googling. They did everything and out of the blue I got a cheque for €250. I had to pay something like €40 to the service but without it I would have given up.

screenexile

The same for me a few years ago when our flight got cancelled from Poland back to Dublin.

€250 was not enough to cover the hardship endured from spending 4 hours in Krakow train station waiting for a 6am train  :o :o

Main Street

Quote from: screenexile on July 12, 2017, 01:42:28 PM
The same for me a few years ago when our flight got cancelled from Poland back to Dublin.

€250 was not enough to cover the hardship endured from spending 4 hours in Krakow train station waiting for a 6am train  :o :o
What hardship did you endure?

Dougal Maguire

Thanks folks. We ended up 2 and a half hours late. When I got home I noticed Ryanair had sent me an email apologising and offering a refund if I wanted to cancel or the offer of an alternative flight if one was available. Think this must be standard procedure, mind you neither is an option if the delay occurs after you've boarded. Think I'll go down the no win no fee route.
Careful now

screenexile

Quote from: Main Street on July 12, 2017, 04:22:52 PM
Quote from: screenexile on July 12, 2017, 01:42:28 PM

What hardship did you endure?

4 hours in a train station with about 40 homeless people half drunk, half stoned off their bake and a couple of massive dogs as well as a fight breaking out beside us at 4am between two homeless dudes and not a police officer in sight. Oh and this was in January so it was absolutely freezing.

Had to then get a train to Katowice and a plane to London, then to Dublin and then drive back to Derry from Dublin at 10pm the night after the flight!

It was a real shame because we'd had an absolutely class time in Krakow the whole weekend it's a great spot!

Itchy

Your travel insurance might also cover this if you have it.

magpie seanie

I didn't realise there is an entitlement to this. I've used a third party to make a claim. They're taking a nice lump of commission off me but they're saying I should get a tidy sum back. Our flights was cancelled, or should I say turned around and returned to base.

Dougal Maguire

How lng were you delayed? Mine was 2 and a half hours and I'm told it would have to be 3. What company did you use?
Careful now

Main Street

In the mid 80's I traveled by train to a town in the middle of Sweden, but the train was delayed and missed the last bus.
I was standing around lonesome and moping, a taxi driver drove right up beside me, said to hop in and where did I want to go?
I said it's about a 40km round trip to such and such a village, he said no problem, seeing my bemusement he added,  "no worries, the train company pays for the taxi service when the train misses the last bus, just give me your train ticket".

Main Street

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on July 13, 2017, 12:05:56 PM
How lng were you delayed? Mine was 2 and a half hours and I'm told it would have to be 3. What company did you use?
Air passenger rights are outlined here
https://www.aviationreg.ie/air-passenger-rights/delay.210.html

I see passenger rights are not only concerning the departure time but also arriving late at your destination.

T Fearon

Good luck with getting money from.Ryanair.More chance of Nelson Mc Causland being next Pope.

Dougal Maguire

Quote from: T Fearon on July 13, 2017, 01:44:53 PM
Good luck with getting money from.Ryanair.More chance of Nelson Mc Causland being next Pope.
or Willie Frazer becoming next manager of Whitecross GFC. You're correct and I'm not going to bother pursuing anything.
Careful now

Zulu

My Ryanair flight was delayed by 4 hours recently and I applied for the compensation (€250), I got an email to say I'd get the money in my account within 10 working days. It'll be 10 working days tomorrow so I'll see if I get it. I do have an email saying they will refund me so I presume they won't drag the arse of it but I'll soon know!