Michael Hayes - Birmingham 6

Started by Shamrock Shore, July 11, 2017, 02:09:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Itchy

Quote from: longballin on July 11, 2017, 08:23:14 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on July 11, 2017, 08:16:35 PM
He doesn't appear to be the full shilling so who would believe anything he said under oath.

Thought the same, seemed a bit of a Walter Mitty. Remember Judith Ward...

Exactly what I thought, attention seeker. Could you believe anything this lad says?

Main Street

Quote from: Itchy on July 11, 2017, 10:37:49 PM
Quote from: longballin on July 11, 2017, 08:23:14 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on July 11, 2017, 08:16:35 PM
He doesn't appear to be the full shilling so who would believe anything he said under oath.

Thought the same, seemed a bit of a Walter Mitty. Remember Judith Ward...

Exactly what I thought, attention seeker. Could you believe anything this lad says?
People usually talk well of themselves but I'd say  a good part of his testimony is true.
He was named in 1990  as being one of the group that carried out the bombing.
There is an inquiry into the bombings happening soon, I suppose the cameras came calling and he couldn't resist. He donned on his military outfit and purported to speak on behalf of the IRA .... delusions of grandeur.

Rossfan

I presume blathering on a TV Station isn't Court evidence.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

LCohen

Quote from: Windmill abu on July 11, 2017, 07:32:58 PM
Quote from: Shamrock Shore on July 11, 2017, 02:09:58 PM
What an excuse for a human being  >:(

Goes on to apologise for his part in The Birmingham pub bombings, dressed in quasi military gear, then, when pressed, seems to row back and wants to take no responsibility.

I would love to see some way that he could be prosecuted* but I am sure it's impossible.

* Good Friday agreement would mean he could only serve 2 years if I recall correctly.

I'm sure he would get a fair trial under the British Justice System, the same way the Birmingham six, The Guilford four and the Maguire seven all did. Being Irish means your'e guilty.

Damn right. I heard they rounded up a load of Paddys this week and just instructed the judge to lock them up without any evidence

LCohen

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on July 11, 2017, 05:23:52 PM
Quote from: Kilkevan on July 11, 2017, 04:14:55 PM
Quote from: T Fearon on July 11, 2017, 04:12:13 PM
Surely this guy must be arrested now.He has incriminated himself.What is the motive?

Probably has some notion of destabilising the peace process.

Bet the next thing he says he has cast iron evidence Gerry A was the guy who gave him the order  ::).

Don't know how he could say that given that Adams has declared he was never in the IRA.

Hayes doesn't sound credible. That doesn't mean he doesn't know anything about it. Unless he is prepared to to answer every question honestly and to the best of his memory then his answer to any question sounds filtered and therefore questionable.

Adams and his cohorts are faced with the same unwinnable bind. If he continues to deny any role he continues to cut today's ridiculous figure. If he admits to any role it invites more questions as it has for Hayes. Fail to deal with those questions and he looks even worse. Answer them and he gives the whole game away.

Not that I have any sympathy. The position he finds himself in today is a product of his own decisions and actions

seafoid

There is rarely any justice in war. Moving on takes precedence. Victims remain victims.
For years the DUP banged on about law and order . But when it comes to power everything is negotiable. Even investigations into historic crimes. The dead are easy to betray.
And trauma does strange things to people.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Owen Brannigan

Like him or loathe him but this article by Fintan O'Toole hits the nail firmly on the head:

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/people/fake-birmingham-apology-is-part-of-the-ira-s-twisting-of-history-1.3153609

If you haven't time or inclination to read the whole article, here's an excerpt:

Kilkevan

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on July 15, 2017, 11:53:03 AM
Like him or loathe him but this article by Fintan O'Toole hits the nail firmly on the head:

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/people/fake-birmingham-apology-is-part-of-the-ira-s-twisting-of-history-1.3153609

If you haven't time or inclination to read the whole article, here's an excerpt:

My problem with Fintan O'Toole is that he and the rest of his middle class right wing reactionary ilk waste no time in condemning IRA atrocities but either completely ignore or wash over monstrosities committed against the nationalist people of the north such as Ballymurphy or the Hooded Men.

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: Kilkevan on July 15, 2017, 12:03:17 PM

My problem with Fintan O'Toole is that he and the rest of his middle class right wing reactionary ilk waste no time in condemning IRA atrocities but either completely ignore or wash over monstrosities committed against the nationalist people of the north such as Ballymurphy or the Hooded Men.

Yet you are unwilling to accept the truth of his article preferring to attack the author.

T Fearon

He has more or less voluntarily admitted his involvement, was living in the area at the time,was a suspect previously.What more do you need to do to get arrested? The question is what is his motive?

haveaharp

Quote from: T Fearon on July 16, 2017, 04:58:56 PM
He has more or less voluntarily admitted his involvement, was living in the area at the time,was a suspect previously.What more do you need to do to get arrested? The question is what is his motive?

Strange timing when the clamour for a full enquiry by the families is at its highest. Still a 75 year order on the files.

currychip

Quote from: Rossfan on July 15, 2017, 01:09:34 PM
Nail on head there Kilkevan.

My problem with you and your ilk Kilkevan is that you are happy to castigate atrocities of the Brits and co but republican atrocities are ignored.  Alway whatabout.

LCohen

Quote from: Kilkevan on July 15, 2017, 12:03:17 PM

All those who just can't bring themselves to condemn those who shoot and bomb in the name of republicanism must really sicken you also?