Mayweather v Mc Gregor

Started by Targetman, June 14, 2017, 11:19:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Quote from: CiKe on June 21, 2017, 11:03:29 PM
Quote from: PAULD123 on June 21, 2017, 10:56:25 PM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on June 21, 2017, 07:56:27 PM
Outside of Sugar Ray Robinson who would beat the head of mayweather, Ali was the best fighter through the generations, ...

What about Marciano, Liston and Tunney in his own division alone? Across the divisions it's not postable to compare. Packman is way more skillfully but then probably so was Nasser HamEd neither had heavyweight power. It's not fair to compare if not all aspects can be compared.

But how do you answer the fact that he refused to give Foreman a rematch?

Lots of people allow the hype to move Ali up a little bit beyond his genuine level. He has far from a imperious record. Most of his victories wereally by decision, he had great difficulty putting guys  away. Even weak fighters like Bugner took him the distance twice.

Tunney maybe. Liston no, was a bully till someone stood up to him. Marciano official record undefeated, but rumours of unofficial defeats if I recall. He'd have given away massive reach and speed advantage to Ali, it would not even be close.

That said I see where you are coming from. In my view he is somewhat overrated and I think the reason is that many feel the best heavyweight is the one we never saw i.e Ali during the years he lost. Whether that is the case or not is pure conjecture but based on what we did see, he wasn't theme greatest across weight classes as a boxer for me. Which is not to say he didn't have the greatest impact on boxing, which he possibly did.

A lot of all-time lists of heavyweights have Joe Louis at #1 and Ali at #2.

Wildweasel74

Louis had a hammer in his fists but was slow compared to later heavy weights, Jack Johnson would have beaten Louis, Tyson too

Wildweasel74

where would you rate Mayweather against Robinson, Duran, benny leonard cause i think all would have beat mayweather

Syferus

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on June 21, 2017, 11:25:55 PM
where would you rate Mayweather against Robinson, Duran, benny leonard cause i think all would have beat mayweather

Prime Paq would have beat Mayweather.

omaghjoe

Quote from: Syferus on June 22, 2017, 12:02:27 AM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on June 21, 2017, 11:25:55 PM

Prime Paq would have beat Mayweather.

Bollocks he wud, unless your talking Pre Castillo Mayweather, he struggled badly (by my rating was beat 4 times) agin a counter punching Marquez right in his prime. Wudda been better than the damp squib we got when they did fight but result the same.

Taylor

Quote from: yellowcard on June 21, 2017, 09:19:37 PM
Quote from: gallsman on June 21, 2017, 05:57:04 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on June 21, 2017, 02:17:59 PM
The odds are set by market forces so will fairly accurately reflect each boxers chance.

How do you work that one out? A load of money suddenly gets whacked on McGregor and his odds shorten accordingly. No connection to his chance of winning.

Fairly simple. For a highly liquid market like this one it would take a lot of money to move the price drastically considering the number of betting companies/exchanges offering prices. Using your example, if a load of money gets whacked on McGregor causing the price to contract, it's for good reason and not just because a few mugs throw a few novelty tenners on him. It would likely take 10s of thousands of pounds to move the market dramatically on a global event such as this with only 2 possible outcomes. If McGregor is knocking out sparring partners or Mayweather injured himself the price could move but then that's only reflecting the odds due to a change in circumstances. The market is settled enough now that it will only change due to circumstances changing in the build up to the fight.

I dont know if you are being obtuse or what here.
The initial odds are set based on opinion - they cant be initially set based on money as the market hasnt formed hence no money can be bet.

Once the market is formed and the odds set then the prices will change based on how much a bookmaker/exchange has taken or laid on a particular boxer.

£2.5m has been matched on Betfair Exchange so the 10's of thousands wouldnt go far to change this market.

As an FYI you can bet on the actual fight to go ahead.......and those odds are almost identical to betting on Mayweather winning (mind you there is only £120 available to bet)

PAULD123

Leaving the Ali debate aside.

The odds are not that attractive, there is no accounting for Mayweather slipping and twisting an ankle, or pulling a muscle. That could happen walking down the street and would have absolutely zero to do with McGregor's ability.

I think there is virtually no chance of McGregor beating Mayweather if both enter the ring fit and prepared. Even that thing about a punchers chance isn't really all that valid. Sure, there is a slim chance of a lucky shot and it has happened before. But really how often? When has a pro entered a ring fully prepared and got taken out by one lucky punch? Probably no more than a half dozen times in history and then always against another experienced professional.

Also the skills of Mayweather are partly developed to exactly stop the chance of that lucky punch ever happening. And again that is a skill developed to stop seasoned professionals from producing that lucky punch.

Now we have what is basically a decent amateur boxer going up against the best in the world. So even the prospect that - "he might get a lucky punch" is reduced to almost infinitesimal given his experience and Mayweather's skill. McGregor would have to land it, and have to land it with maximum power but most importantly Mayweather would have to be open. Finally it would have to be so massive that Mayweather couldn't get up. Most champions get hit by lucky punches at some stage but most get up.

lurganblue

Obviously Mayweather is one of the greats of all time and is a defensive master.  He should win easy.  I'd probably be saying that no matter who he decided to face for his 50th fight.

People need to remember though that McGregor is a professional fighter too.  He also throws punches for a living and has been quite good at it.  This talk of him getting hurt or that he is a complete amatuer is false for me.

Also, I have been surprised by the amount of Irish people who are hoping McGregor to fail. Now i'm not for one minute saying that we should support everyone from ireland blindly but there is certainly real hatred of this man.  Or maybe it's just that they feel is he ruining the sport.

CiKe

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on June 21, 2017, 11:18:03 PM
Tunney seriously? Jack Johnson would have murder tunney, and Bugner was better than Cooper, Marciano beat by a slugger in a  fight over in england, kindly erased from the records

Not sure of this is aimed at me or not but Marciano I agree with. Didn't see mention of Cooper anywhere?

In terms of best ever P4P it's always very hard to say, particularly as I've not seen much of SRR, Benny Leonard, Willie Pep etc. Some  great names that spring to mind from 70's onwards

Duran
RJJ (if you can forgive Ali for carrying on too long, you have to do the same here)
Mayweather
Hagler
Pernell Whittaker
Julio Cesar Chavez
Aaron Pryor

I had Marquez beating Pacman so that is why Pacman ain't there.

6th sam

Quote from: lurganblue on June 22, 2017, 09:30:50 AM
Obviously Mayweather is one of the greats of all time and is a defensive master.  He should win easy.  I'd probably be saying that no matter who he decided to face for his 50th fight.

People need to remember though that McGregor is a professional fighter too.  He also throws punches for a living and has been quite good at it.  This talk of him getting hurt or that he is a complete amatuer is false for me.

Also, I have been surprised by the amount of Irish people who are hoping McGregor to fail. Now i'm not for one minute saying that we should support everyone from ireland blindly but there is certainly real hatred of this man.  Or maybe it's just that they feel is he ruining the sport.
The problem for mcgregor is that he totally goes against the grain in terms of how we expect our sportsmen to behave. We punch above our weight in several sports and the typical likeable Irish sportsperson e.g. ruby walsh, katie Taylor, carl frampton, Robbie Keane will harness universal respect and support. Those that are more vocal such as Rory McIlroy, Roy Keane , James McClean tend to divide opinion however, with most of us appreciating their strong-mindedness , is part of what makes them successful. McGregor is different. He is "off the scale" as an athlete, and as a competitor in the toughest sport of all, his behaviour and ethos though probably part of a promotional act, is what really grinds . We are not used to it. McIlroy , for example, has reached no.1 in arguably the most popular individual sport in the world. Self-confidence is part of the reason why he got there, but as a person , he has done much more besides eg Rory Foundation, promotion of Irish open etc. , and though not afraid to share his opinions , behaves with dignity. Conor on the other hand, is undoubtedly vulgar , foul mouthed , in your face , brash and boastful, with questionable values around his wealth etc. We are not used to this, and many can't see past that. Though Many cringe at his foul mouth and flashiness, some of his one-liners are classics, and there is no doubt that his behaviour has contributed to his success both promotionally and in terms of getting in the heads of his opponents. Mayweather , also, will have his work cut out winning the psychological battle with mcgregor inside and outside the ring. For the first time in his career he won't know what to expect and will undoubtedly be unnerved when he faces up to this "freak of nature" ( and I mean that in a positive sense).
I hope mcgregor wins , retires, and admits that his brashness and vulgarity was all an act and invests much of considerable wealth to the benefit of others. Only then will he gain the respect and admiration his athleticism deserves

Syferus

There's plenty of bregrugers but you only need look at one of his fights to see how strong the Irish support for him is.

The Iceman

Quote from: 6th sam on June 22, 2017, 11:13:17 AM

The problem for mcgregor is that he totally goes against the grain in terms of how we expect our sportsmen to behave. We punch above our weight in several sports and the typical likeable Irish sportsperson e.g. ruby walsh, katie Taylor, carl frampton, Robbie Keane will harness universal respect and support. Those that are more vocal such as Rory McIlroy, Roy Keane , James McClean tend to divide opinion however, with most of us appreciating their strong-mindedness , is part of what makes them successful. McGregor is different. He is "off the scale" as an athlete, and as a competitor in the toughest sport of all, his behaviour and ethos though probably part of a promotional act, is what really grinds . We are not used to it. McIlroy , for example, has reached no.1 in arguably the most popular individual sport in the world. Self-confidence is part of the reason why he got there, but as a person , he has done much more besides eg Rory Foundation, promotion of Irish open etc. , and though not afraid to share his opinions , behaves with dignity. Conor on the other hand, is undoubtedly vulgar , foul mouthed , in your face , brash and boastful, with questionable values around his wealth etc. We are not used to this, and many can't see past that. Though Many cringe at his foul mouth and flashiness, some of his one-liners are classics, and there is no doubt that his behaviour has contributed to his success both promotionally and in terms of getting in the heads of his opponents. Mayweather , also, will have his work cut out winning the psychological battle with mcgregor inside and outside the ring. For the first time in his career he won't know what to expect and will undoubtedly be unnerved when he faces up to this "freak of nature" ( and I mean that in a positive sense).
I hope mcgregor wins , retires, and admits that his brashness and vulgarity was all an act and invests much of considerable wealth to the benefit of others. Only then will he gain the respect and admiration his athleticism deserves
you can chat to anyone that knows him he's a great fella who takes care of everyone around him.  The persona is to sell fights - love him or hate him you're paying for the PPV.  The FW division was very quiet before he came along. The UFC in fact was fairly quiet. He made it all relevant again - how many lads on here even watched MMA before him?
Listen to an early interview when they surprise him by having Steve Collins call in to the show to wish him luck - thats who he is
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

yellowcard

I'd agree with that. I would give McGregor the benefit of the doubt when it comes to the persona he has created. If this was his actual self I wouldn't have much time for him, however I do believe it's all an act that he is happy to live up to. I think we will see him fight no more than 2 or 3 more times before he retire's early. I enjoy the charade that goes with the build up to his fight's precisely because I don't believe that any of it is actually genuine. If I did I would have to move over to the bulging anti-McGregor camp.

I say good luck to him, he has carved out a career based on dedication and no small amount of ability but has made his fortune largely on the back of his out of octagon persona. He is a good sportsman not a great sportsman. He is though a great showman.   

Syferus

Quote from: yellowcard on June 22, 2017, 04:59:09 PM

I'd agree with that. I would give McGregor the benefit of the doubt when it comes to the persona he has created. If this was his actual self I wouldn't have much time for him, however I do believe it's all an act that he is happy to live up to. I think we will see him fight no more than 2 or 3 more times before he retire's early. I enjoy the charade that goes with the build up to his fight's precisely because I don't believe that any of it is actually genuine. If I did I would have to move over to the bulging anti-McGregor camp.

I say good luck to him, he has carved out a career based on dedication and no small amount of ability but has made his fortune largely on the back of his out of octagon persona. He is a good sportsman not a great sportsman. He is though a great showman.   

He's one of the best fighters of all-time in his sport, and his sport is global. By Irish standards (who celebrate the likes of Sonia O'Sulivan and mediocre soccer teams) he is way above being a great sportsperson.

nrico2006

Quote from: Syferus on June 22, 2017, 05:25:00 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on June 22, 2017, 04:59:09 PM

He's one of the best fighters of all-time in his sport, and his sport is global. By Irish standards (who celebrate the likes of Sonia O'Sulivan and mediocre soccer teams) he is way above being a great sportsperson.
Well said, we like celebrating losers but we hate winners. As for best boxer I have saw, definitely RJJ.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'