Mayweather v Mc Gregor

Started by Targetman, June 14, 2017, 11:19:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taylor

Quote from: yellowcard on June 21, 2017, 02:39:20 PM
Quote from: Taylor on June 21, 2017, 02:29:59 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on June 21, 2017, 02:17:59 PM
The odds are set by market forces so will fairly accurately reflect each boxers chance. All things being equal, Mayweather will box the ears off McGregor. McGregor has regularly sparred against Irish amateur boxers and from what I hear they are more than well able to hold their own with him. So logically, to think that he is going to beat the best poind for pound boxer in the world in his first competitive fight would be a bit fanciful. Of course he has a punchers chance just like any boxer but all of the entertainment in this contest will take place outside the ring. I wouldn't even be surprised if the fight does not materialise.

Incorrect.
The odds are set by opinions of oddsmakers - the odds then fluctuate based on market forces

Of course, and given that the fight has been announced for a couple of weeks it is fairly certain that market forces have kicked in already after the initial pricing, hence the odds are reflective of their chances as of now.

Correct but the odds are set by opinions........after that its all about balancing the books

Syferus

So the hit pieces have arrived. Deadly.

I'm always amused by Americans seeing everything in life through a black-white prism. Saying the Irish have been oppressed is one of the few things McGregor has said that is entirely true and not just meant to promote a fight. Writing a hit piece on McGregor when his opponent is a two-faced woman beater says enough for me.

Ali said some seriously messed up shît in his day and he's rightly regarded as one of the greatest humans of all-time.

screenexile

Quote from: Syferus on June 21, 2017, 04:08:02 PM

I'm always amused by Americans seeing everything in life through a black-white prism. Saying the Irish have been oppressed is one of the few things McGregor has said that is entirely true and not just meant to promote a fight. Writing a hit piece on McGregor when his opponent is a two-faced woman beater says enough for me.

Ali said some seriously messed up shît in his day and he's rightly regarded as one of the greatest humans of all-time.

Please just please don't compare McGregor to Ali!!

Syferus

Quote from: screenexile on June 21, 2017, 04:51:39 PM

Please just please don't compare McGregor to Ali!!

When it comes to self-promoters in combat sports there is no better comparison for McGregor.

gallsman

The odds are set by market forces so will fairly accurately reflect each boxers chance.

How do you work that one out? A load of money suddenly gets whacked on McGregor and his odds shorten accordingly. No connection to his chance of winning.

PAULD123

I agree that Ali is a great comparison. Ali hyped himself out of all fair judgement. He was a very good fighter but its even debateable if he was the outright greatest of his generation. His Ken Norton fights were controversial, he wouldn't Foreman a rematch and he lost to Frazier. He certainly wasn't the greatest of all time.

But he was in the top ten or so in history and without doubt the greatest self promoter.

McGregor is something similar. Both in prowess and self-promotion

Wildweasel74

Outside of Sugar Ray Robinson who would beat the head of mayweather, Ali was the best fighter through the generations, yes he would have beat Tyson, Lewis, Louis and any other you want to mention,
He had problems with Norton due to his defensive crab like stance but dont let that fool u to the real fighter he was, who would and did fight anybody, dont even use Mcgregor in the same sentence to Ali, Similar prowess, get the f**k outta here/

yellowcard

Quote from: gallsman on June 21, 2017, 05:57:04 PM
The odds are set by market forces so will fairly accurately reflect each boxers chance.

How do you work that one out? A load of money suddenly gets whacked on McGregor and his odds shorten accordingly. No connection to his chance of winning.

Fairly simple. For a highly liquid market like this one it would take a lot of money to move the price drastically considering the number of betting companies/exchanges offering prices. Using your example, if a load of money gets whacked on McGregor causing the price to contract, it's for good reason and not just because a few mugs throw a few novelty tenners on him. It would likely take 10s of thousands of pounds to move the market dramatically on a global event such as this with only 2 possible outcomes. If McGregor is knocking out sparring partners or Mayweather injured himself the price could move but then that's only reflecting the odds due to a change in circumstances. The market is settled enough now that it will only change due to circumstances changing in the build up to the fight.

bennydorano

If Lone Shark was still about he could tell you how a 'book' is formed.

Mikhail Prokhorov

Quote from: screenexile on June 21, 2017, 04:51:39 PM

greatest human of all time???   ;D ;D

clay (ali) was a c*nt and a con man. any man with 5 wives and god knows how many b**tard children does not deserve respect in my eyes.

good fighter, yes but best ever, nonsense!

PAULD123

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on June 21, 2017, 07:56:27 PM
Outside of Sugar Ray Robinson who would beat the head of mayweather, Ali was the best fighter through the generations, ...

What about Marciano, Liston and Tunney in his own division alone? Across the divisions it's not postable to compare. Packman is way more skillfully but then probably so was Nasser HamEd neither had heavyweight power. It's not fair to compare if not all aspects can be compared.

But how do you answer the fact that he refused to give Foreman a rematch?

Lots of people allow the hype to move Ali up a little bit beyond his genuine level. He has far from a imperious record. Most of his victories wereally by decision, he had great difficulty putting guys  away. Even weak fighters like Bugner took him the distance twice.

CiKe

Quote from: PAULD123 on June 21, 2017, 10:56:25 PM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on June 21, 2017, 07:56:27 PM
Outside of Sugar Ray Robinson who would beat the head of mayweather, Ali was the best fighter through the generations, ...

What about Marciano, Liston and Tunney in his own division alone? Across the divisions it's not postable to compare. Packman is way more skillfully but then probably so was Nasser HamEd neither had heavyweight power. It's not fair to compare if not all aspects can be compared.

But how do you answer the fact that he refused to give Foreman a rematch?

Lots of people allow the hype to move Ali up a little bit beyond his genuine level. He has far from a imperious record. Most of his victories wereally by decision, he had great difficulty putting guys  away. Even weak fighters like Bugner took him the distance twice.

Tunney maybe. Liston no, was a bully till someone stood up to him. Marciano official record undefeated, but rumours of unofficial defeats if I recall. He'd have given away massive reach and speed advantage to Ali, it would not even be close.

That said I see where you are coming from. In my view he is somewhat overrated and I think the reason is that many feel the best heavyweight is the one we never saw i.e Ali during the years he lost. Whether that is the case or not is pure conjecture but based on what we did see, he wasn't theme greatest across weight classes as a boxer for me. Which is not to say he didn't have the greatest impact on boxing, which he possibly did.

Wildweasel74

Tunney seriously? Jack Johnson would have murder tunney, and Bugner was better than Cooper, Marciano beat by a slugger in a  fight over in england, kindly erased from the records

Wildweasel74

who do u rate as the greatest across the weight classes, this should be good?