Mayweather v Mc Gregor

Started by Targetman, June 14, 2017, 11:19:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lurganblue

Quote from: Atticus_Finch on June 16, 2017, 11:31:45 PM
Quote from: The Iceman on June 16, 2017, 03:02:13 PM
watch the video of McGregor on the late late show 4 years ago - he made it to the UFC on a $20K to fight $20K to win contract, added some bonuses along the way...three years later he was the FW Champion of the World and the highest paid man on the roster....since then he added the LW title and made the Forbes Top 25 richest athletes....from the dole to that in about 4 years? And he's looking at in the region of $100million for this fight, a fight he talked himself in to.
I can only tip my hat to him.... I'll pay for the PPV - he deserves it. He'll more than likely be destroyed. But he doesn't care and neither do I...

+1

It's a remarkable story. He not only talked his way into it, he managed to sell it to the Floyd Mayweather and the world. Saw a tweet from McGregor from 3 years ago (I think) which simply said "Get in. Get rich. Get out."   That's exactly what's he done.

I have to admit I didn't think this fight would come to pass ... thought that both fighters were happy to just be talked about, remaining current (more so Mayweather) and keeping the sponsorship deals intact. There is still a bit of me thinks it won't happen, some last minute injury putting the spoilers on it. Just seems ridiculous a guy who hasn't boxed professionally fighting Floyd Mayweather.  Not sure how this can be regarded as Mayweather's 50th fight.  Seems a bit of a fraudulent way to eclipse Marciano's record.

The timing of this is genius by Mayweather promotions / Showtime TV it completely overshadows two massive boxing fights.  Kovalev fights Andre Ward in a rematch of what was an extremely tight first fight this weekend ... nobody is talking about it.  A few weeks after Mayweather vs McGregor is due to take place the biggest fight in boxing is taking place ... Golovkin vs Alvarez and once again no one is talking about it.  De la Hoya and HBO are livid, that's the real reason De la Hoya has been so critical of this fight.

Saw a recent post saying that it would need a strong undercard ... nonsense.  The main fight breaks PPV records by itself when that happens no one cares about the undercard.  Can anyone remember who the undercard was for Pacquiao vs Mayweather ? As for Mayweather promotions looking to get Paddy Barnes on the undercard lol ... unless he is renewing his Olympics spat with Rory McIlroy and fighting him I can't see it happening.  Maybe Mayweather promotions will look to get big Martin Rogan on the bill instead ...

Iceman - what's your take on the McGregor having to put on 10 oz gloves ... surely that's a world of difference from UFC mitts and will nullify his power ?

Do you think McGregor would be able to last the 12 rounds ?

The bookmakers odds seem to be tightening all the time.  Some bookies have McGregor as short as 4/1 and as the hype train goes full steam as August 26th gets closer I think those odds will shorten.  I don't know how anyone could touch McGregor at 40/1. People talk about anyone in a ring can have a puncher's chance but forget about Buster Douglas, if this fight does actually happens and McGregor gets his hand raised it would have to be the biggest upset of all time.

Yeah Lomachenko was on the undercard that night and he was outstanding. certainly made me sit up and take notice.

Atticus_Finch

Fair play, he was yeah.  I don't think a lot of people would have remembered any of that undercard. It wasn't exactly a pick'em fight.  Lomachenko who was pretty much thrown in at the deep end on account of his amateur pedigree was in against tougher opponents in earlier fights - the likes of Gary Russel Jnr and Salido.  I was out in Vegas at the time and I can only remember being interested in getting a look at Santa Cruz as there was a lot of chat that he was a future opponent for Frampton. I was just trying to make the point that it doesn't matter what the undercard is, I don't think it will really influence PPV buys.  As for credibility, even a strong undercard won't win over the cynics - this will still be regarded by many people as a farce of a contest. If the fight itself is a patch on the build up to the fight it will be worth a watch. Don't hold out much hope for that but I will still watch it regardless.
"The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience."

PAULD123

I would fear for McGregor. In a lust for money the boxing commission has granted him a license to fight the best boxer of the generation. There is a chance of serious damage. Mayweather will be fighting at one of his heavier classes which means he can bring more power. If Mayweather lands one fully clean punch he could seriously hurt McGregor. Novices should never be put in a ring with seasoned professionals and especially not one of the best.

McGregor should have been forced to secure at least 2-3 victories against world top 20 fighters before being allowed this fight. for nothing more than safety reasons.

As for the fight prospects. I don't think it will be over in the first. Mayweather is the best boxer of his generation that means he applies all the skills. He is not a simple bludgeonor. He is used to fighting 12 x 3 minute rounds. McGregor fights 5 minute rounds but has only ever gone past 2 rounds on 2 fights out of 24. His sport is one of quick ferocious violence. Also as someone else pointed out McGregor will be carrying much heavier gloves than he is used to.

Mayweather will likely jab McGregor off for 2-3 rounds and move him all round the ring. Then when he is tired unleash on him. Round 3-4 will be the target round for Mayweather. But if McGregor does tire and drops his gloves Mayweather is the fastest boxer in the world to react to an opening and will paste him.

People will say things like - "At least McGregor lasted three rounds so it wasn't a total farce". But it will only be because Mayweather would rather hit a tired boxer than try to take out a guy at full energy levels.

Hound

While anyone can get seriously hurt in the boxing ring, I doubt the risk is high for McGregor. Mayweather has one stoppage in 10 years and supposedly brittle enough hands. I'd say he'll suffer a worse beating at some stage in the future in the UFC when he takes on a lad too big for him.

Will be very interesting to see how bad Mayweather makes McGregor look. And whether McGregor can land anything solid.

Mayweather 8/11 to win by stoppage. A lot of money to be made by those that are sure McGregor is going to get hurt.

Franko

Quote from: Hound on June 20, 2017, 12:16:25 PM
While anyone can get seriously hurt in the boxing ring, I doubt the risk is high for McGregor. Mayweather has one stoppage in 10 years and supposedly brittle enough hands. I'd say he'll suffer a worse beating at some stage in the future in the UFC when he takes on a lad too big for him.

Will be very interesting to see how bad Mayweather makes McGregor look. And whether McGregor can land anything solid.

Mayweather 8/11 to win by stoppage. A lot of money to be made by those that are sure McGregor is going to get hurt.

Was thinking about this myself.  Seems to be a lot of people on here absolutely certain that McGregor is going to be beaten.  I wonder are they putting their money where their mouth is?  If I was as certain of a result as some of you lads, I'd be off to the bookies with as much cash as I could gather up.

PAULD123

Why would I put my money where my mouth is when the returns are minuscule? It's not like I am suggesting an underdog will win. So defo no, I am not going to be wasting money betting on Mayweather to get pennies in return.

Look this is a supreme exponent of his trade being pitched against a  brawler that has never had a professional boxing fight in his life. In fact as far as I can make out he never even boxed at senior amateur level. He is a very good UFC fighter no doubt but that is simply not the same. It isn't even close to the same. The thing about UFC is that the playing field is leveled so that a Karate fighter can fight a kung-fu can fight a teakwando fighter because they are fighting a combined rules format. McGregor is being asked to leave most of his skills at the gate and fight only on Mayweather's terms and rules.

So the fight is in a format McGregor has absolutely NO adult competition experience off and against the best fighter in that art and only to his rules.

This would be like Dublin GAA winning the Pro 12 rugby league in their first year of competition. Sure, they are good at catching, kicking and running and they're all big lads. Why couldn't they beat Leinster at rugby???????. Or maybe if they win their third All-Ireland this year people will suggest a challenge match against Chelsea, mind you they have to only play soccer no combined rules.

Taylor

Quote from: PAULD123 on June 20, 2017, 03:52:40 PM
Why would I put my money where my mouth is when the returns are minuscule? It's not like I am suggesting an underdog will win. So defo no, I am not going to be wasting money betting on Mayweather to get pennies in return.

Look this is a supreme exponent of his trade being pitched against a  brawler that has never had a professional boxing fight in his life. In fact as far as I can make out he never even boxed at senior amateur level. He is a very good UFC fighter no doubt but that is simply not the same. It isn't even close to the same. The thing about UFC is that the playing field is leveled so that a Karate fighter can fight a kung-fu can fight a teakwando fighter because they are fighting a combined rules format. McGregor is being asked to leave most of his skills at the gate and fight only on Mayweather's terms and rules.

So the fight is in a format McGregor has absolutely NO adult competition experience off and against the best fighter in that art and only to his rules.

This would be like Dublin GAA winning the Pro 12 rugby league in their first year of competition. Sure, they are good at catching, kicking and running and they're all big lads. Why couldn't they beat Leinster at rugby???????. Or maybe if they win their third All-Ireland this year people will suggest a challenge match against Chelsea, mind you they have to only play soccer no combined rules.

Thats doing a serious dis-service to CMG and indeed many MMA fighters

DuffleKing

:-\

People are discussing this as though it is an actual boxing match.

The hype has already won.

Franko

;D ;D ;D

If you are guaranteed a return (as you say) you're not wasting a penny.  On the contrary, you're buying money.  You're absolutely guaranteed £117 odd quid for every hundred you spend.  You don't even have to wait - you can see a return within an hour.  Maybe you work in the civil service and have no clue about business but if this is as big a cert as you say, this is the sweetest deal since RHI.  Or maybe you just don't have the minerals.....  ;)

Wildweasel74

Franko the fact you even think he has  a chance show how much u know about boxing,

As for McGregor  been forced to secure at least 2-3 victories against world top 20 fighters, that never happen cause  any top 20 fighter at this weight would beat him.

Franko

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on June 20, 2017, 09:52:44 PM
Franko the fact you even think he has  a chance show how much u know about boxing,

As for McGregor  been forced to secure at least 2-3 victories against world top 20 fighters, that never happen cause  any top 20 fighter at this weight would beat him.

I've yet to say anything about his chances... but FYI, I think he's almost certainly going to get beat.  But you people are totallly certain.  So I ask - why don't you put your money where your mouth is?  You're guaranteed to make money.  Remortgage the house, sell the car, sell the wife ffs... but if I was as sure as some of you are I'd be collecting my free cash. 

If there was a rush to the bookies to back Mayweather he'd be a lot shorter than 1-6.  So that tells me that all these people who are so certain are maybe not actually that certain at all.  Or, like I said earlier, maybe it's a (lack of) minerals issue...

Taylor

Mayweather should almost certainly win however I believe some people will be put off going against McG based purely on his unpredictable style and his capacity to actually back up what he says.
Bar the first Diaz fight he has done almost exactly what he claimed he would.

TMT may struggle against a southpaw but if he is caught he could be in trouble. Its a big 'if' as he rarely ever gets tagged but if he does how will he take it?

I will certainly watch it but if TMT is beat boxing is in big trouble

screenexile

Quote from: Franko on June 20, 2017, 04:41:19 PM

;D ;D ;D

If you are guaranteed a return (as you say) you're not wasting a penny.  On the contrary, you're buying money.  You're absolutely guaranteed £117 odd quid for every hundred you spend.  You don't even have to wait - you can see a return within an hour.  Maybe you work in the civil service and have no clue about business but if this is as big a cert as you say, this is the sweetest deal since RHI.  Or maybe you just don't have the minerals.....  ;)

£17... you're guaranteed £17 for every £100 you spend!

gallsman

Quote from: Franko on June 21, 2017, 08:56:38 AM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on June 20, 2017, 09:52:44 PM

I've yet to say anything about his chances... but FYI, I think he's almost certainly going to get beat.  But you people are totallly certain.  So I ask - why don't you put your money where your mouth is?  You're guaranteed to make money.  Remortgage the house, sell the car, sell the wife ffs... but if I was as sure as some of you are I'd be collecting my free cash. 

If there was a rush to the bookies to back Mayweather he'd be a lot shorter than 1-6.  So that tells me that all these people who are so certain are maybe not actually that certain at all.  Or, like I said earlier, maybe it's a (lack of) minerals issue...

Maybe, just maybe, some people don't gamble.

Franko

Quote from: screenexile on June 21, 2017, 10:03:25 AM
Quote from: Franko on June 20, 2017, 04:41:19 PM

;D ;D ;D

£17... you're guaranteed £17 for every £100 you spend!

Erm... no??  Spending £100 returns £117.