Vote

Started by Feckitt, May 21, 2014, 09:08:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GJL

Quote from: Maguire01 on May 09, 2015, 04:36:08 PM
Quote from: GJL on May 08, 2015, 07:41:56 AM
Well done to the SDLP. Effectively handed Tom Elliot victory.  >:(
Catch a grip. The electorate handed Tom Elliott victory. Nobody made anyone vote SDLP. The 2,732 people that voted SDLP knew exactly how close this race was, yet they decided not to vote for Gildernew. If the SDLP hadn't run, they may well have stayed at home, or even voted for Elliott. Some people in Fermanagh will never vote SF under any circumstances, and that's entirely justified.

Funny how you're not taking any issue with O'Muilleoir threatening a nationalist seat in South Belfast. If the notion of handing seats to unionists was such a big issue, SF would have stepped aside in South Belfast, whether it was reciprocated in FST or not.
The thing is I am no SF supporter and could not care less about and other constitutionsey. For personal reasons I just really did not want Tom Elliott to win. If there had of been corporation between the SDLP and SF IE a pact I have no doubt the seat could have been won. The fact that there was none would have encouraged more unionists out to vote.

never kickt a ball

Quote from: GJL on May 09, 2015, 07:19:59 PM
Catch a grip. The electorate handed Tom Elliott victory. Nobody made anyone vote SDLP. The 2,732 people that voted SDLP knew exactly how close this race was, yet they decided not to vote for Gildernew. If the SDLP hadn't run, they may well have stayed at home, or even voted for Elliott. Some people in Fermanagh will never vote SF under any circumstances, and that's entirely justified.

Funny how you're not taking any issue with O'Muilleoir threatening a nationalist seat in South Belfast. If the notion of handing seats to unionists was such a big issue, SF would have stepped aside in South Belfast, whether it was reciprocated in FST or not.
The thing is I am no SF supporter and could not care less about and other constitutionsey. For personal reasons I just really did not want Tom Elliott to win. If there had of been corporation between the SDLP and SF IE a pact I have no doubt the seat could have been won. The fact that there was none would have encouraged more unionists out to vote.

Interesting that in the Irish News today the anti abortion movement based in Dungannon were claiming to have influenced the electorate in FST by distributing leaflets asking voters to consider the abortion debate when casting their vote. Also from comments made by Sinn Fein it appears the unionists were very successful in mobilising and registering their followers. In a sense they seem to have copied the Sinn Fein hard working template used with success in the past to maximise their vote.

LeoMc

I would still be blaming the 18k odd who didn't vote rather than the SDLP.

GJL

Quote from: LeoMc on May 09, 2015, 10:12:07 PM

I would still be blaming the 18k odd who didn't vote rather than the SDLP.

Fair point.

Maguire01

If a pact was ever to be considered in the likes of FST, then SF and the SDLP should agree an independent candidate, acceptable to both and prepared to take their seat. Then neither party suffers at subsequent Assembly elections, and the people get proper representation.

armaghniac

Quote from: Maguire01 on May 09, 2015, 10:47:02 PM
If a pact was ever to be considered in the likes of FST, then SF and the SDLP should agree an independent candidate, acceptable to both and prepared to take their seat. Then neither party suffers at subsequent Assembly elections, and the people get proper representation.

They could find a Quinn candidate, although he might be able to take part in the Anglo-Irish parliamentary meetings.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Nigel White

Quote from: LCohen on May 09, 2015, 05:07:18 PM
Quote from: Nigel White on May 09, 2015, 04:58:22 PM
It's not about intellect its about political acumen and involvement in local community groups Whilst I'm not a spokesperson for SF I understand the 3 people you single out all have a long history of community/political involvement Justin didn't. Who can we expect next as a candidate - Nathan Carter perhaps?
Define political acumen if it is entirely separate from intelligence

I make no comment on O'Doherty's involvement in republicanism but i'm told that his involvement in politics is to put a suit on every 5 tears to make an acceptance speech of 10 or 12 words. Usually on 2 syllables or less
Have you evidence of Doherty's inactivity? Your description of Doherty by the way fits Justin to a tee

LCohen

Quote from: Nigel White on May 10, 2015, 02:04:31 AM
It's not about intellect its about political acumen and involvement in local community groups Whilst I'm not a spokesperson for SF I understand the 3 people you single out all have a long history of community/political involvement Justin didn't. Who can we expect next as a candidate - Nathan Carter perhaps?

I make no comment on O'Doherty's involvement in republicanism but i'm told that his involvement in politics is to put a suit on every 5 tears to make an acceptance speech of 10 or 12 words. Usually on 2 syllables or less
Have you evidence of Doherty's inactivity? Your description of Doherty by the way fits Justin to a tee

I lived in the constituency when it was first. POD got in at a subsequent election and was anonymous other that a face on lampposts. Did nothing for the area. Whilst I don't live there now my wife's family and friends still do. It is a recurring point that he is abstentionist in many, many respects.

Maguire01

Quote from: LCohen on May 10, 2015, 03:31:24 PM

I lived in the constituency when it was first. POD got in at a subsequent election and was anonymous other that a face on lampposts. Did nothing for the area. Whilst I don't live there now my wife's family and friends still do. It is a recurring point that he is abstentionist in many, many respects.
Yep, he made the point in his victory speech that his wife hadn't seen him for seven weeks. Nobody else had seen him for 5 years.

Owenmoresider

Quote from: Maguire01 on May 10, 2015, 03:38:59 PM
Quote from: LCohen on May 10, 2015, 03:31:24 PM

Yep, he made the point in his victory speech that his wife hadn't seen him for seven weeks. Nobody else had seen him for 5 years.
Sure the man lives in west Donegal, he hardly needs to bother his arse trekking over to Tyrone, much less London, with the strength of the the SF support there. Mind you his vote was down 5% and the SDLP went up in votes and % there, probably their best performance outside of retaining their seats, but still a monstrous gap between them.

Quote from: foxcommander on May 08, 2015, 03:40:26 PM
Quote from: LeoMc on May 08, 2015, 08:25:21 AM
That assumes those who voted SDLP would have voted SF, granted only 20% of them would have had to switch.

Despite already knowing FST was simply a sectarian headcount they still chose not to vote SF.

I hope they are proud of themselves today assisting that knuckledragging mong to victory.
Not content with leaving it at his previous comments on the GAA he used the opportunity on the platform to have a go at Bobby Sands as well.

That's representation for you.
Elliott is a **** of that there is little doubt. But the Sands comment I have little problem with, since I assume it was a reaction to Gildernew's rather arrogant and brazen statement at her campaign launch that "This seat belongs to Bobby Sands, this seat belongs to Sinn Féin". As it happens it belongs to the people of FST and they have loaned it to someone else now. And it doesn't say much for SF that they to keep harking back to Bobby so often (his sacrifice immense as it was), as though they have practically nothing to say for themselves in 2015 that would get their people out to vote. And on that point...

Quote from: LeoMc on May 09, 2015, 02:00:50 PM
You could just as easily direct your ire at the 18,600 eligible voters who did not cast their vote at all.
Very true. It should really be of concern to them, given this was nationalism's worst vote since 1992, at how the turnout has fallen so far from over a decade ago, it's not just for the more predictable Westminster contests but in the Assembly too, West Tyrone and Mid Ulster have gone from mid 70's to 60/61%, Foyle from 67 to 54, South Down from mid 60's to 57, West Belfast from 67 to 57, Newry & Armagh down too, FST held up better but then 73% is low compared to other times.

Also as expected the Shinners are blaming the SDLP for losing FST, inevitable since they can never be at fault for anything, but perhaps if SF were serious about nationalist unity and not simply strangling the SDLP out of existence then maybe McGuinness might have suggested a better proposal than what he did, when offering to merely let the SDLP keep their seats in return for pulling out of North Belfast, Upper Bann and FST, essentially telling the SDLP to not have any ambition to improve their lot while letting SF grab more seats for themselves, and have no doubt had that happened the propaganda machine would have claiming the glory all for themselves and not a ounce of gratitude would have been offered to the SDLP, SF are all about SF and noone else, the name is apt in that respect, and the SDLP were right not to indulge their self-interest and naked ambition and as it happens without suffering seat losses for it.

Indeed if SF are going to be like that they might want to remember that their intervention in South Down in the 80's kept no lesser a polarising figure than Enoch Powell in Parliament, not once but twice, and even when McGrady got him at the third attempt the majority was only 730 with SF polling 2300 votes. Same in Newry in 83 though Mallon squeezed the SF vote down enough to win the byelection. But perhaps it's another of these things which only SF are allowed to do.

Tony Baloney

Good post owenmoresider.

Maguire01

Quote from: Owenmoresider on May 10, 2015, 06:20:14 PM
Also as expected the Shinners are blaming the SDLP for losing FST, inevitable since they can never be at fault for anything, but perhaps if SF were serious about nationalist unity and not simply strangling the SDLP out of existence then maybe McGuinness might have suggested a better proposal than what he did, when offering to merely let the SDLP keep their seats in return for pulling out of North Belfast, Upper Bann and FST, essentially telling the SDLP to not have any ambition to improve their lot while letting SF grab more seats for themselves, and have no doubt had that happened the propaganda machine would have claiming the glory all for themselves and not a ounce of gratitude would have been offered to the SDLP, SF are all about SF and noone else, the name is apt in that respect, and the SDLP were right not to indulge their self-interest and naked ambition and as it happens without suffering seat losses for it.
A lot of good points there, but the one in bold is important. SF wanted to mirror the DUP/UUP pact, with SF getting a dead cert in exchange for what? The UUP got lucky in FST, but the DUP definitely got a more shrewd deal for East and North Belfast. Maybe SF should have offered the SDLP West Tyrone or Mid Ulster or Newry and Armagh. Or SF promise to run one candidate less in FST at the next Assembly election. I don't agree with pacts, but if there was to be one, it has to benefit both parties as equally as possible.

Quote from: Owenmoresider on May 10, 2015, 06:20:14 PM
Indeed if SF are going to be like that they might want to remember that their intervention in South Down in the 80's kept no lesser a polarising figure than Enoch Powell in Parliament, not once but twice, and even when McGrady got him at the third attempt the majority was only 730 with SF polling 2300 votes. Same in Newry in 83 though Mallon squeezed the SF vote down enough to win the byelection. But perhaps it's another of these things which only SF are allowed to do.
No different to this year - they were prepared to let the DUP take South Belfast.

Keyser soze

Maybe some of you could point out the list of tangible benefits that any of the MPs attending Westminister have brought for their constituents.

And I'm happy to accept small ticket items  ;)

imtommygunn

An Ulster Unionist MLA was mistaken for a male stripper when canvassing for votes. Robin Swann was going door to door in his North Antrim constituency when he was mistaken for a male stripper arriving for a party at a house in Dervock.