The WINE thread

Started by CitySlicker11, December 11, 2014, 11:14:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CitySlicker11

Just to go along with the beer and whiskey threads, what wine would you recommend?

sans pessimism

"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

lynchbhoy

If you like Bordeaux reds then the o'briens booze chain in Ireland have a few good wines on sale right now - esp if you like Cabernet dab/merlot blends

Chateau la raz caman €16 2009 I love

This isn't bad either

Chateau beau rivage 2009 €21

They have another couple cab sav/merlot/can franc blends that are v good but I can't rem which ones right now.  I have a few bottles of the first claret for Christmas!

Aughafad

just bought some a few bottles in the vineyard on the ormeau road today. They have a real good deal on an Australian wine 'Heartland - Stickleback Shiraz 2013' @£8.99. Its a really good wine for that price. I also bought myself an earlier Christmas present with a £40 Shiraz (Amon-Ra 2010), also Australian.
For those who like Spanish wines they have a real nice Rioja Reserva called Senorio D Barriobero.

Maguire01

I'll just have half a bottle of Blue Nun.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Maguire01 on December 12, 2014, 12:10:56 AM
I'll just have half a bottle of Blue Nun.
Some people love that stuff!

I think it's white wine and I don't particularly like white vino!

rrhf

A good argintinian mal bec can be perfect.  Love the french  at the moment. I'm a delboy bow jolly connasaurus. 

Tony Baloney

Quote from: rrhf on December 12, 2014, 12:34:02 AM
A good argintinian mal bec can be perfect.  Love the french  at the moment. I'm a delboy bow jolly connasaurus.
I hope you suck the cork when testing in a restaurant.

laoislad

6euro bottle of Pinot Grigio from Lidl does me fine  ;D

I remember listening to a radio interview a few years ago with a fella who was supposed to be some sort of wine expert.
He was given 3 glasses of wine and was asked to describe each glass.
He went on for ages with bullshite about each glass about how it tasted.
Turned out all the glasses of wine were from the same bottle.
There is an awful lot of shite talked about wine IMO.

When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Jeepers Creepers

JoG2

Quote from: rrhf on December 12, 2014, 12:34:02 AM

like the Malbec myself.

Red only in our house. I see Tesco are doing a Chateau Neuf du Pap for a tenner ( £8 off). Make good presents.

I ordered this box for christmas:

http://www.tesco.com/wine/product/details/default.aspx?id=250218971

Would not touch Hardy's, McGuigan's or any Australian wine with a barge pole.....seriously sore on the head

Anyone ever buy online from Morgans Wines in Dublin? Any use? I emailed them on Tuesday and got no reply

Brick Tamlin

Sufferin fuk.
This is another thread similar to the 'women and weddings' one.
I cant stand wine experts. Cant abide by these arseholes both male and female that blather on about it and want to 'recommend' what ye should be drinkin.
How about you f*ck up, keep your expertise to yourself and il drink whatever I like and how I like. F**kin wine snobs with their fancy glasses and their sniffin would sicken yer shite.
What gives them the right to be judging anyone else and what they like to drink. If I caught someone sniffin wine in front of me and givin me a lecture on it I wouldn't be long throwin it roun the cnut.

Sorry for hijackin yer thread but it that grinds my gears to a halt.

Billys Boots

Quote from: lynchbhoy on December 11, 2014, 11:37:01 PM
If you like Bordeaux reds then the o'briens booze chain in Ireland have a few good wines on sale right now - esp if you like Cabernet dab/merlot blends

Chateau la raz caman €16 2009 I love

This isn't bad either

Chateau beau rivage 2009 €21

They have another couple cab sav/merlot/can franc blends that are v good but I can't rem which ones right now.  I have a few bottles of the first claret for Christmas!

I like the Bordeaux alright - am very partial to Haut-Medoc and St. Emilion.  Very expensive here, but tend to buy in France when I'm coming home on the ferry.  Someone did a study recently - wine you'll pay €20 a bottle for here will only cost you €6 over there.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

DennistheMenace

Quote from: laoislad on December 12, 2014, 08:24:05 AM
6euro bottle of Pinot Grigio from Lidl does me fine  ;D

I remember listening to a radio interview a few years ago with a fella who was supposed to be some sort of wine expert.
He was given 3 glasses of wine and was asked to describe each glass.
He went on for ages with bullshite about each glass about how it tasted.
Turned out all the glasses of wine were from the same bottle.
There is an awful lot of shite talked about wine IMO.

In what sense is there an 'awful lof of shite talked about wine'?

HiMucker

To certain extent I have to agree with laoislad here!  Unless you truly are an expert no need to be spending big dough on wines.  One of the best value for money wines you can get is, Yellow Tail shiraz.  Really nice, and its a bout £6 usually a bottle on offer.

Remember watching Come dine with me.  A girl slAbbering about the wine all week.  Telling ones she wouldn't drink their cheap wine because it was like vinegar.  So in the last night one of the guys got the empty bottle of her favourite wine, which was about £50 a bottle.  Poured a £3 bottle in it, and watched her make a complete tosser of herself, hadn't a clue!  :D