Tim McGarry Ulster-Scots

Started by hairyUlsterman, July 15, 2014, 01:37:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

Yes... A bit like whoever convinced someone that paying people 1.60 per 1.00 was a good idea too!

Fund your mates springs to mind again...

tiempo

Quote from: imtommygunn on October 21, 2017, 10:45:12 AM
Yes... A bit like whoever convinced someone that paying people 1.60 per 1.00 was a good idea too!

Fund your mates springs to mind again...

The entire basis of the proxy state is that one "culture" (I use that term loosely) could reign glorious over another, some hoor has to fund it. Fast forward to the 21st century, post-Agreement, you wouldnt want themmuns getting a slice of the pie and not getting in on the act yourself.

Honestly Sinn Fein should be lobbying that the Brits fund the shit out of this parody language so that
a) The Irish Language Act attained
b) waste of HM Treasury funds
c) we all get a good laugh at the cúnts having to front it
d) when the Brits wake up to it they'll run a mile

Read this and weep (laugh your balls off)...

Anything that leans one way or another in the North is open to suspicion: including, as I mentioned here before, a notorious punctuation mark in the title of the language agency, the Boord O Ulstèr Scotch.

At a press event promoting the Boord some years ago, I asked – out of genuine curiosity – what the effect of the accent on the E in Ulster was. Whereupon a spokeswoman admitted it had none: "we just thought it looked good". And so it does. But I couldn't help noticing that the accent pointed in the opposite direction from the Irish fada, which was hardly accidental.

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/an-irishman-s-diary-1.523630

seafoid

Quote from: screenexile on October 21, 2017, 09:59:13 AM
THere is no way on earth this nonsense is a language.

I wonder how they went about classifying it? Whoever managed to get them to believe it was a language did some job!
a language needs certain features to qualify. Using the words and structure of another language 95% of the time does not qualify ulster Scots as a language.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

LeoMc

There are several variants of Scots (Scottish English). ulster Scots is linguistically identical to the lowland Scots variant. The question is whether Scots is a language or a dialect of English. Most speakers of Scots consider it a dialect. It is only here they try to argue it is a language.

johnneycool

Quote from: LeoMc on October 21, 2017, 10:43:11 PM
There are several variants of Scots (Scottish English). ulster Scots is linguistically identical to the lowland Scots variant. The question is whether Scots is a language or a dialect of English. Most speakers of Scots consider it a dialect. It is only here they try to argue it is a language.

Simples,
  themmuns have a language and want money to promote it, we need a language too.......

Fiodoir Ard Mhacha

Isn't Ulcer Scoots for homosexual 'big Jessie'?

My da is Lurgan through and through and I think Shankill Estate has its own dialect. He calls a gay man 'nervous a himself'.
"Something wrong with your eyes?....
Yes, they're sensitive to questions!"

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Fiodoir Ard Mhacha on October 22, 2017, 05:43:49 AM
Isn't Ulcer Scoots for homosexual 'big Jessie'?

My da is Lurgan through and through and I think Shankill Estate has its own dialect. He calls a gay man 'nervous a himself'.

I would have heard a version of that he's a wee bit shy of himself....

tiempo

Quote from: LeoMc on October 21, 2017, 10:43:11 PM

Come to think of it if it was its own language specific to owc shouldnt it be called Norn Ironish, calling it Ulster Scots is like renaming Portugeue spoken in South America to Iberio Brazilian. So lazy they couldnt even create their own they had to kelp a lowland Scots dialect. I'd say they are homesick.

OgraAnDun

Boycey

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Boycey on November 25, 2017, 11:46:46 AM
10/10  8)
+1. The Queen of the Glens in the background too  8)

Cutty is probably the only word of the 10 not used in that area. I have really only heard people from around Omagh use that word.

armaghniac

Quote from: OgraAnDun on November 25, 2017, 10:21:29 AM
http://play.bbc.co.uk/play/pen/g5ljfgcl3v

Turns out I'm already fluent in this language.

This isn't Ulster Scots though, just norn Iron dialect words. Gulpin likely isn't used in Scotland at all and the OED gives a use of cutty in Scotland not connected to the Tyrone usage.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B