Japanese earthquake

Started by stephenite, March 11, 2011, 07:28:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Baloney

Quote from: omagh_gael on March 11, 2011, 07:14:38 PM
This is a crazy situation, the latest from BBC updates:

1908: A magnitude 6.6 quake has now struck in central Japan, AP news agency reports, causing Tokyo buildings to sway. It is not clear if this is connected to the earlier quake and aftershocks. More on this as we get it.
Fella from BHS was saying earlier that many of the aftershocks were clustering along the southern end of that plane and could be up to mag 7.9. Sounds like it's not over for Tokyo just yet.

omagh_gael

Anyone with any nuclear knowledge out there know how serious the statement below is? Is it something that has a real chance this thing could go up?

2009: The World Nuclear Association said pressure inside the containment of Reactor 1 at Fukushima-Daiichi had been steadily increasing over the time that its emergency core cooling systems had not been active. The Tokyo Electric Power Company reported at 0200 local time (1700 GMT) that pressure had increased beyond reference levels, but was within engineered limits, the WNA added.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: omagh_gael on March 11, 2011, 09:01:20 PM
Anyone with any nuclear knowledge out there know how serious the statement below is? Is it something that has a real chance this thing could go up?

2009: The World Nuclear Association said pressure inside the containment of Reactor 1 at Fukushima-Daiichi had been steadily increasing over the time that its emergency core cooling systems had not been active. The Tokyo Electric Power Company reported at 0200 local time (1700 GMT) that pressure had increased beyond reference levels, but was within engineered limits, the WNA added.
Apparently they now have to release radioactive vapour from the reactor to relieve the pressure.

Some of the new footage coming in (on Sky News) is bloody horrendous. Aerial footage of vehicles and pedestrians attempting to outrun the tsunami.

ross4life

Some truly terrifying images! did anyone see the clip of the chap trying to outrun the waves as they came in.

Yet another black day on this earth we live on, RIP to all those who lost their lives.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Tony Baloney

Quote from: ross4life on March 11, 2011, 09:14:10 PM
Some truly terrifying images! did anyone see the clip of the chap trying to outrun the waves as they came in.

Yet another black day on this earth we live on, RIP to all those who lost their lives.
Aye just saw it on the news. Wild stuff.

Omagh_Gael apparently the water used to cool the reactors has boiled generating huge pressures so they have to vent it off.

omagh_gael

Did anyone see the footage of the tv crew recording outside the tv station when masonary started fallig off the building? About four people came running out and somehow weren't hit, amazing luck!

Some of the images actually make me feel sick knowing that you are literally watching people die beofre your eyes. Horrible horrible stuff.

The images of that whirpool are crazy!

Edit: yeah just seen on sky news that they've extended the exclusion zone from 3k to 10k. Scary stuff.

ONeill

Japan's Prime Minister Naoto Kan has just announced that residents living within 10km (6.2 miles) of the Fukushima-Daiichi nuclear station must evacuate their homes, according to the Kyodo news agency. Engineers are trying to fix the cooling system of one of the plant's reactors, which was damaged by the earthquake. The authorities had earlier told some 3,000 residents living within 3km (1.9 miles) to leave.

The Tokyo Electric Power Company has said radiation may already have been released at the Fukushima-Daiichi nuclear plant.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

ONeill

Radiation levels at the damaged Fukushima-Daiichi nuclear plant are continuing to rise. The Jiji Press news agency says the levels are eight times above normal. Its report also cites a ministry official as saying there is a "possibility of a radioactive leak"

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: ONeill on March 11, 2011, 09:41:12 PM
Radiation levels at the damaged Fukushima-Daiichi nuclear plant are continuing to rise. The Jiji Press news agency says the levels are eight times above normal. Its report also cites a ministry official as saying there is a "possibility of a radioactive leak"

I hope the pro-Nuclear Energy lobby here in Ireland are taking note.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

dec

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on March 11, 2011, 09:48:35 PM

They probably are. They are probably also taking note of how likely it would be that Ireland would be hit by an earthquake or a tsunami.

ONeill

The Kyodo news agency is now citing a safety panel as saying that the radiation level inside one of the reactors at the Fukushima-Daiichi nuclear plant is 1,000 times higher than normal.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: dec on March 11, 2011, 09:52:52 PM
Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on March 11, 2011, 09:48:35 PM

They probably are. They are probably also taking note of how likely it would be that Ireland would be hit by an earthquake or a tsunami.
Good point :)

It looks like this reactor is heading towards a meltdown. There will be serious questions asked of nuclear power plants built in high risk areas - I'm sure there are plants in California.

laoislad

Just see there that the radiation levels are actually 1000 times more than normal and not just 8 times as was reported earlier.
Scary stuff.
Yes ross that clip of the guy trying to outrun the wave is shocking
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Aerlik

No word from my friends...tried texting and facebook.  Nothing.
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Aerlik on March 11, 2011, 10:02:01 PM
No word from my friends...tried texting and facebook.  Nothing.
They based up in that area, Aerlik? Heard from my mate in Tokyo via Facebook earlier. He was on the 5th floor and said it wasn't too bad. Considering he is from Castlederg he wouldn't have much experience of earthquakes!