The Official Tennis Thread

Started by Doogie Browser, January 26, 2010, 11:25:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mouview

Brilliant player, but easiest title; won it almost by default, both Murray and Djoko injured and Nadal caught on the blindside (though Fed would've taken him anyway I feel).

nrico2006

Quote from: mouview on July 17, 2017, 12:13:16 AM
Brilliant player, but easiest title; won it almost by default, both Murray and Djoko injured and Nadal caught on the blindside (though Fed would've taken him anyway I feel).

Not as handy a run as the one Murray had to win last year.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

punt kick

Quote from: nrico2006 on July 17, 2017, 09:22:10 AM

Not as handy a run as the one Murray had to win last year.

FFS you can only beat who is in front of you.  Murray is an awesome player.

screenexile

None of that's Federer's fault. Great to see a decent role model and likable personality winning again I always liked him.

Nothing better than watching him in full flow hes just such a natural player he's class!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Thastheball on January 29, 2018, 01:52:41 PM
What can one say about Federer, Number one sports man in the history of sport. has it all, skill, class, endurance, career span, GOAT in his sport, very likable, brilliant with the media, family man, in other words all you would want in a package.

Yeah oustanding, 20 titles is some going, he was coasting yesterday and then he had to dig himself out of a hole and the extra class told
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Therealdonald

In the list of the greatest sportsmen of all time, he definitely has to be up there in the top 5 at least and was said earlier, the grace and class he carries himself with is unbelievable.

TabClear

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 29, 2018, 02:21:42 PM
Quote from: Thastheball on January 29, 2018, 01:52:41 PM
What can one say about Federer, Number one sports man in the history of sport. has it all, skill, class, endurance, career span, GOAT in his sport, very likable, brilliant with the media, family man, in other words all you would want in a package.

Yeah oustanding, 20 titles is some going, he was coasting yesterday and then he had to dig himself out of a hole and the extra class told

I remember watching this match many years ago. Passing of the torch moment.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/in_depth/2001/wimbledon_2001/1418928.stm

Did nt realise Sampras was "only" 29 then. Think he won his last major in 2002 when he was 30. Just goes to show how incredible Federer (and Nadal's) longevity is.

Therealdonald

I'm not sure how to create a thread...is it a stretch to consider the last 20 years the Golden Era of Sports? Consider the main sports/sports events in the world.
Tennis- Roger or Nadal
Golf- Tiger
Soccer - Messi/Ronaldo/Zidane
Racing - McCoy
Boxing - Mayweather (probably not the strongest category)
Athletics - Bolt, Phelps
Darts - Taylor
Snooker - O'Sullivan
NFL - Brady
NBA - Bryant or Lebron
GAA - The Kilkenny 4 in a row/ Dubs atm

Add in Schumacher, the fat Ronaldo and I feel its been a real golden era for sports. Add in again Henman Hill and its consistent disappointment for bonus points.

TabClear

Quote from: Therealdonald on January 29, 2018, 06:25:58 PM
I'm not sure how to create a thread...is it a stretch to consider the last 20 years the Golden Era of Sports? Consider the main sports/sports events in the world.
Tennis- Roger or Nadal
Golf- Tiger
Soccer - Messi/Ronaldo/Zidane
Racing - McCoy
Boxing - Mayweather (probably not the strongest category)
Athletics - Bolt, Phelps
Darts - Taylor
Snooker - O'Sullivan
NFL - Brady
NBA - Bryant or Lebron
GAA - The Kilkenny 4 in a row/ Dubs atm

Add in Schumacher, the fat Ronaldo and I feel its been a real golden era for sports. Add in again Henman Hill and its consistent disappointment for bonus points.

I know what you are saying but I would say accessibility and coverage have a lot to do with it. You can argue a lot about athletes from different eras who never directly competed with each other. For example Why Tiger above Nicklaus? Why Messi over pele? Mayweather over Ali?  Hendry over o Sullivan?

I do think it definitely is for tennis though. 3 of the top 6 slam winners of all time competing against each other largely in their prime is unheard of.

Wildweasel74

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Insane Bolt

gallsman

Some big wins for Anderson in the last year having made the US Open final too.

Really incredible from Federer to lose from being two up with match point. Anderson's serving was incredible though.

Essentially means Djokovic vs (likely) Nadal on Friday will be the final in all but name.

Insane Bolt

Amazing semi final....99 games in the match. Don't think Serena has played that many games to get to the final. Equal prize money is a nonsense